Cheap theatre ticket discussion

Options

Comments

• vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    You could try ebay or gumtree and might get lucky, I find lastminute.com has more seats if you look at there meal deal offers. You might also consider going to the theatre on the day as they open at 10 am and sell tickets at reasonable prices then. Hope you have a great time.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2010 at 11:04PM
    Options
    jemclajess wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm being chucked out of the house for the day with my 3 daughters whilst we have heating/work done to the house and I have decided to take the kids to London for the day shopping as its only about 30 minutes on the train.
    As a treat at half term I have decided to take them to see a show. They are 20, 15 and 13 and my 20 year old daughter has seen Dirty Dancing and Grease and myself and my 15 year old daughter have seen Grease too. My eldest is keen on Wicked or The Lion King and I have spent hours searching the web for reasonable, good enough view/seats to buy. I have also managed to add my 15 year old daughters best friend to the group and the best I can find is Wicked £50 a ticket for 'second price seats' or The Lion King' for 'top price stalls/royal circle seats' at £55.00 a ticket with Last Minute.com. I'm really confused by the Last minute terms for their seats and dont want to pay £250 (for Wicked) or £275 for The Lion King to end up with not a particularly good view/seat. I think I've left it a bit late as we want to go on Thursday 28th October which is half term and less than 4 weeks away but as it is these tickets will cost me more money than I've got and I will have to pay train fares and Mcdonalds/meal too!!
    Please can someone help me?

You could aslo check Theatremonkey.

They also list Fringe Productions too which will most likely be cheaper and can be equally as much fun [though not as exiting as West End productions initially].

And if you go through the link I posted above you’ll find some fairly good offers on some productions that are still available.

You may even find calling the theatre directly as a better alternative for finding cheapish tickets. May take some leg work though, but might be worth it in the end.

And check the main article if you haven’t already.
  • frames1_uk
    frames1_uk Posts: 710 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that I just booked tickets for We Will Rock You on the 2for1 London national rail deal. Got by far the best seats for the cheapest price (after searching every other site!).
  • RobertinHerts
    Options
    Following suggestion on MSE I used GILT (Get Into London Theatre) which is "administered by The Society of London Theatre

Actually it's SEE ticket agency in Nottingham. They took the money in December but the tickets have not arrived. According to their website which shows the seat numbers I've booked "We are waiting for the tickets to come to us from the event organiser. As soon as they are in stock we will send them to you".

However when I phoned they offered a different story entirely...

It is our practice that you should recieve the tickets within 7-10 days of the performance. I pointed out that they'd taken the money so should have sent them. I then asked what would happen in the event of snow or other problems preventing delivery. They replied that if the tickets hadn't arrive 48 ours before the performance I should phone and they would arrange for them to be collected at the box office.

I asked if a printout of the confirmation would be acceptable - like an eticket at an airline and they said 'no'.

I bought the tickets as a present and the recipient is getting very concerned that they've not arrived.
  • *manda*
    *manda* Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Options
    Following suggestion on MSE I used GILT (Get Into London Theatre) which is "administered by The Society of London Theatre

Actually it's SEE ticket agency in Nottingham. They took the money in December but the tickets have not arrived. According to their website which shows the seat numbers I've booked "We are waiting for the tickets to come to us from the event organiser. As soon as they are in stock we will send them to you".

However when I phoned they offered a different story entirely...

It is our practice that you should recieve the tickets within 7-10 days of the performance. I pointed out that they'd taken the money so should have sent them. I then asked what would happen in the event of snow or other problems preventing delivery. They replied that if the tickets hadn't arrive 48 ours before the performance I should phone and they would arrange for them to be collected at the box office.

I asked if a printout of the confirmation would be acceptable - like an eticket at an airline and they said 'no'.

I bought the tickets as a present and the recipient is getting very concerned that they've not arrived.

Personally I wouldn't stress- often tickets are sent a week or so before the event, although often with theatre tickets it can be sooner than say for a concert. As they said though, if they don't arrive in time (which I'm sure they will) you can collect from the box office so you'll still get your tickets. When you collect from the box office they only usually ask for name or booking ref, so the person you have bought them for would only likely need a print out email of the booking. I have never been asked for ID- why would the theatre care? You can then phone up and get a refund on delivery.
  • RobertinHerts
    Options
    I think it's wrong for companies to take the full payment well in advance, pretend that they have difficulty in obtaining the tickets but really have no intention of providing them until a few days before the event. Why would they do that, it does sound suspicious?

Do the train companies do it too?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options

Actually it's SEE ticket agency in Nottingham. They took the money in December but the tickets have not arrived......

The big downside of this GILT is the tickets have to be bought from see tickets.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews74389.html
  • RobertinHerts
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    The big downside of this GILT is the tickets have to be bought from see tickets.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews74389.html

Oh dear! A rating of 1.6 out of a possible 5! On this basis MSE shouldn't be recommending them:(

I had the confidence that it was SOLT running this. So why would SOLT use such an unreliable operator???
  • RobertinHerts
    RobertinHerts Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2011 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Oh dear! A rating of 1.6 out of a possible 5! On this basis MSE shouldn't be recommending them:(

I had the confidence that it was SOLT running this. So why would SOLT use such an unreliable operator???

I spoke to the Society of London Theatre today. They explained that the policy of sending out tickets 7-10 days before the performance was to protect customers from themselves. Apparently by sending out tickets many months before the performance they tend to get lost:(

However with GILT, as the events are within six weeks, they thought it inappropriate that the agents, SEE, were taking the money but not forwarding the tickets immediately. I pointed out the review rating kindly provided by Quentin when I spoke to SOLT and pointed out that this was not helpful to their repuation.

90 minutes after my call I received a 'Confirmation of despatch' email.

I've not had an explanation why the website said SEE hadn't received the tickets from the organisers, which as I said originally was not the story I was given in my original phone call to SEE.
  • caffeinejunky
    Options
    If you're aged between 12-26 you can register for free for the Young Company at Curve. As a member you can book many tickets for a fiver! Definitely worth a look in if you're in Leicestershire :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure