IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals article discussion

Options

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    PlasticMan wrote: »
    The quality of the posts on this thread tends to indicate there are quite a few blaggers out there, and they're not the sharpest tools either (eh Neil...).

If that was aimed at me then I can tell you that I am completely happy with my abilities, achievements and reputation.

If you are suggesting that anything I have posted on the forum is inaccurate or even just purely poor advice then please do highlight such a thread.

You appear to have got 'the wrong end of the stick' or perhaps jumped to a hasty conclusion. I have no idea of Martin's personal position but I fully support parking enforcement myself. Did you think not? I believe that most people who post to assist here feel similarly.

CEOs,TWs,PAs and PCSOs. Yep, generally people just doing a job, often well and sometimes poorly. My local CEOs have been extremely helpful in supplying information. I don't judge individuals based on what job they do.

The general problem you have missed is that whilst drivers are required to stick to a fixed set of rules our Councils do not adhere to their own legal responsibilities. I find the whole idea of 'guilty until proven innocent', often applied by Councils in response to initial challenges, wholly abhorrent.

On that note, I take it you have noticed that it is a criminal offence for an appellant to make a false statement in formal representations. Subject on conviction to a max fine of £5000.
    The penalty for Councils stepping outside the law, in practice, we see zero.

Which brings us to your comments about 'not liking the law'? I can't think where you've got that impression but I do notice you don't seem to understand some regulations yourself.
    There are, for instance, numerous circumstances in which a driver may stop or even park in a cycle lane. That is, if yo were thinking of those green marked areas at the side of a road. Not the fault of the driver but those who decided on the parking restrictions at each location.

I dislike this culture of "I disagree with the law, so I'll ignore it" whether it's parking where you like, speeding, jumping red lights on a push-bike or fiddling expenses, etc, etc. Martin writes "It's a hideous moment: you return to your car, van or motorbike to find a parking ticket on the windscreen or a clamp on the wheel." - translation: "It's a hideous moment: you've broken the law and got caught.". What next? "How to cover up your hit and run.", "How to lie to the police about that mugging charge."?

I can't speak for others but personally I find such a suggestion very offensive.
    If you disagree with the law, get involved in trying to change it.

I don't see a great deal wrong with the law. A few adjustments maybe but more likely it is the Councils who need to learn it and adhere to it.
    I have plenty of sympathy for people with valid appeals - mistakes do happen

Blatant intransigence and riding roughshod over the law you are so fond of, by Councils is not a mistake. I have no time to list some of the appalling cases which have involved vulnerable, innocent people.

If you really want to change things for the better then maybe take a look at the overall picture. Where and how is enforcement being concentrated and hence why are so many real transgressors not being penalised --- as I've noticed too.
  • nevergivein
    Options
    Anyone heard of Parking Control Services Ltd? I have much info on them but what I need to know is how to prove the one company owner works from home. Then Bailiffs will go there to carry out the Court Order and or seize goods The BPA and post forwarding agencies used will not give me information even though my MP has asked (the BPA) as they say they cant due to the Data Protection Act
    Thanks for any helpful posts made to this question
  • Hillyone
    Hillyone Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I know the bottom line (or top line) is "Don't pay if you think the ticket is unjust, because you're admitting guilt", but I'm really frustrated that a colleague of mine paid a parking ticket when parked on a single yellow line. The pole exists, which should show the times, but the notice does not, and for that reason I think the ticket was illegal. She didn't realise this at all. This is a single yellow between two lots of doubles. Is there definitely no way of getting back the money paid? She paid because she didn't want the fine to double.

Has anyone tried to get their money back once it's been paid? Even better - has anyone succeeded?
  • mizzlebizzle
    Options
    Last Friday I picked up a ticket whilst using K.F.C. car park. The reason for the ticket is that I did "Not use venue at time of parking". We did not purchase anything from K.F.C. or even enter the biulding, so this is true. Parking was for just under 1 hour I believe. Tthe charge for using the car park was £60.00!

Before going into the scenario and uploading the images of the ticket/signs etc I wonder if it is worth fighting this and not paying? Any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks.
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Before going into the scenario and uploading the images of the ticket/signs etc I wonder if it is worth fighting this and not paying?

You don't have to fight it, just ignore it.
    Do not phone/write, appeal to them
    Do not pay them
    Ignore any further correspondence

Eventually they'll go away
  • Neil_B
    Options
    Hello,

I was referred to the site article by the MSE email on the 19/09/2009.

I have to say I'm concerned by the tone of the whole thing. To me it suggests "park where you like, and if you get caught just argue a lot and you'll probably get let off".

Hang on a tick. Since you choose not to respond to my earlier question, I'll try another.

Is this the e-mail I hear has gone out regarding 'private parking tickets'? Or are you talking about the rather inaccurate original article that is the subject of this thread? (barring the idiots who keep posting about individual cases or completely the wrong subject).
  • Neil_B
    Options
    Hi

Definitely write to them otherwise it will escalate to my proportions!

Similar to Orford.

How can you decide to give Stoooooopid advice when you can't even be bothered to acknowledge in your own thread. It may have been bad news but ---
  • Neil_B
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    articlealert.gif
    This thread is for discussing the
    Parking Ticket Appeals guide.

To discuss/ask a question click post reply.
    If you want particular help on your own case you can start a new discussion on the Parking Fines and Tickets board, although there is no guarantee someone will be able to help.
    Alternatively go to the
    Report Parking Ticket Appeal Successes thread to let everyone know if you've won a case

• longi
    Options
    The parking machibes overvend(ie no change given) I paid £2.00 for 2 hours (1.60 is the fee) I was 9 mins late back, but having overpaid I still had minutes left my appeal has been refused and says I have to wait for a Norice to Owner to make formal representation which will be 28 days after receipt of letter ( letting me pay £30 within 14 days ).if I wait for notice to owner do I have to pay extra. Should I just pAY UP
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2009 at 9:53AM
    Options
    My question is linked to the article. I have read thorugh but it does not discuss motorcycles. I imagine technically the rules are the same, but motorcycles are taxed as bicycles. where should PCNs be placed on motorcycles? All in all the article is consolidation of the material available at pepipoo.

Here are my circumstances that casued to me to read the original article:

I was recently visiting a friend in Hull. There was permit parking and I had been given a (scratch card) permit.

The problem is I ride a motorcycle, with no way to secure the permit to prevent it being stolen.

I awoke the next day to find a PCN stuck to the back of my bike and my permit missing. Supprisingly neither of these actions set off my alarm.

would you say there grounds for appeal here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure