Great Instructions to Take with a Pinch of Salt Hunt

Options

Comments

• TeknoTeacher
    Options
    pillar wrote: »
    I always ignore the toys and gadgest which say, do not use rechargeable batteries. Ready to be enlightened if anyone knows why they say that.

The problem with rechargeable batteries happens when they are 'shorted' ie. the positive and negative are directly connected to each other. They then discharge very quickly a lot of energy making them extremely hot -possibly explode.

However, on toys with battery compartments that are child proof, ie only accessible with a screw the danger is reduced.

I once got a nasty shock when getting a warm feeling from my jacket pocket I nearly burnt my hand when I touched my keys which had been in the same pocket as two rechargeable batteries!

Not to be recommended, even in bouts of cold weather!!! :rotfl:
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mikeos wrote: »
    The floss that I use says "use a separate thread for each tooth" Yeah, right!

Well, that is one that you should follow. Using the same piece over and over again is just manky and negates the whole point of flossing as you are just removing plaque from between two teeth, then putting it back between two other teeth. I haver asked a Dentist about this, he said that it is important to use a new bit for each gap.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • littlescarlet
    Options
    I have worked in manufacturing and buying of both toiletries and food and would add the following comments:

1. It is actually a scientific fact that washing twice with two lots of say 5mls of shampoo is more efficient than washing once with 10mls - however most of us use FAR too much shampoo so wash twice with a lot less each time is the moneysaving efficient way to do it. You really don't need all those suds!

2. Ignore 'best before' dates by all means, especially on high sugar stuff like Christmas pudding (which actually improves with age, you can keep it for years) and jam etc, but PLEASE don't ignore 'Use By' dates especially on dairy produce and shellfish as the toxins don't always affect the smell and colour.

3. As a previous poster said, if ever you hear anything which claims something which doesn't make sense to you like the plastic bottle carcinogen / bugs thing, check www.snopes.com - they do research their facts quite carefully. Or www.quackwatch.com which has some interesting things to say about scientifically unsustainable treatments and claims.

4. To put my two penn'orth in about floss, I use one long bit and move up the length each time so you don't waste the bit wrapped round your fingers when using separate lengths!!!
  • Princess_Coupon
    Options
    There is one thing I definately ignore on the back of shampoo " works best with our conditioner, mask, mousse, serum, hairspray, hairdryer, straightners...... "okay I'm exaggerating but not by much.
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
  • jud!th
    jud!th Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    We've never washed our daughters' hair with shampoo - just water and put conditioner on after swimming. Always looks beautiful and people admire it :) They're 3 and 5 now.
  • toffeecrisp_3
    Options
    I hardly ever wash my hair (about 2x year if that). After a while your hair begins to clean itself and doesn't need the gunk of shampoo and conditioner.

Also make shower gel go further by using a net scrunchie

Also I almost never take note of best before dates. In most cases if it smells okay, looks okay it will probably taste ok.

With regards to pet food - cat has a handful of biscuits in the morning and a pouch in the evening. If I took any notice of the feeding instructions he'd be the size of a dog and I'd have less money.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is one thing I definately ignore on the back of shampoo " works best with our conditioner, mask, mousse, serum, hairspray, hairdryer, straightners...... "
    Indeed. I frequently empty the dregs from one bottle into a new bottle of some completely different type of shampoo.
    Stompa
  • mightymole
    Options
    flakey fish food i have found with 3 gold fish only need half of what it says every day or every other day
  • Glowboy
    Glowboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    On the subject of reusing/washing water bottles, in his book French Revolutions Tim Moore recounts an unpleasant illness which cured itself after his wife boiled his bidons. If there's one time you really don't want to be ill, it's on a long-distance bike ride!

Back to the original topic, it doesn't always specifically say so on the packaging but I don't understand why most people use one teabag per cup. I reuse them (usually two old ones per cup, dunked quite briefly) whenever Mrs G isn't watching over me making her tea and she's never complained.
  • Kazza1
    Kazza1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Our water tastes absolutely disgusting (as if someone has tipped TCP into it) so we use a filter jug to improve the taste of the water. If we went buy the indicator on top of the jug, we'd be changing the filter every couple of weeks. As it is, they last about 3 months before the antiseptic taste seems to get through. It is kept in the fridge the whole time.

Also use only 1 washing powder tablet, 1 teabag for 2 cups of tea and a tiny amount of toothpaste.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure