PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naff all heh heh :)

OH is cooking and it will all be done from fresh on Christmas Day, his choice not mine.

However, I have made braised red cabbage that will go with the chicken pie on Boxing Day, cranberry and clementine sauce is jarred and in the fridge, 2 dozen mince pies just come out the oven, marzipan on the cake is drying ready for icing tomorrow morning, chutney was made 4 months ago and I will do individual trifles on Christmas morning as there won't be room in the fridge until the meat comes out.

Can't be arsed with stress at Christmas ;)
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    floyd

Oh thank god you said trifle, I had forgotten I promised to make DD one on Christmas eve, she hates cake.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    But there are 5 meals between now and then - where will you eat??

I told a fib earlier - yesterday I made the breadcrumbs for bread sauce and stuffing as i had a loaf that was dried out just enough!

Some people don't even have a dining table and have no problem finding somewhere to eat ;)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • alm721
    alm721 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ujust ask, those of you who are cooking beef today or tomorrow, what do you do with it? Do you freeze it and then reheat it or just put it in the frisge then warm it up. If so how do you normally warm it up? I've done it before in the oven covered in gravy so it doesnt dry out but I have two people coming who don't likt gravy so dont think I can do this, but would like to cook it before hand if possible.
    Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noctu wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone is doing today, or has already done, to prepare for Christmas Day?

I've ticked the boxes for Locally Smoked Salmon, Traditional Turkey and Christmas Pudding on the Pre-Order Menu :D

No cooking or food shopping for me this year! :T (Have been doing all this stuff for the last 30 years though, bar the odd one or two, so am very excited to be skipping off first thing tomorrow for 2 nights!)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bought the dinner. Turkey crown, brussels, parsnips, stuffing. Had the carrots already. Did pick up some satsumas though, nice large orange satsumas, proper ones.... including three wrapped in that tissue paper, which I think always looks lovely. 60p/lb, I think I got 2lbs.

No bread sauce to make, we never have it. Not doing anything fancy. It's just a Xmas dinner, not an Olympic sport.
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Options
    nothing
    its just a roast dinner
    were not having a traditional xmas dinner, but i dont recall ever making anything other than the pud in advance

were only feeding 6 people at tops not an army :)
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 December 2010 at 1:18AM
    Options
    As weve got carrots for tea tommorow and again Christmas Day can I simply chop extra tommorow and put them in water in the fridge and how about sprouts please?

Yes you can, but you must change the water every day. You can do up to three days in advance this way. Tatos as well.

This weather we put a bucket of peeled spuds in water in the garage, does us fine.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Panic......
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    OH collected the meat order (yesterday now I suppose)

Today (Xmas Eve) I'll prep the veg and let it sit under water over night. I'll make up the Yorkshire pudding batter (we're having beef, as none of us care of turkey) and let it rest. I'll also rescue the Xmas puds from their storage locations.

I plan a fairly deep kitchen clean (by OH, as I'm really struggling with bronchitis ATM) to include de-cluttering the dining table so I can set it.

Everything else (such as it is) will be an on the day thing. Roasting the beef, parboiling the roasties, cooking the yorkies, cooking the veg, making the gravy etc

PGxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport