PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Got my veg and roast potatoes part cooked and frozen, turkey and beef are defrosting I'll cook them tomorrow. Also got the stuffing to make tomorrow. I like to do as much prep as possible beforehand so all I've got to do on the day itself is chuck things in and out of the oven. :D
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eeeeeeeee!!! I'm getting all excited now.:T
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made the mince pies and put together the gingerbread house and decorated it. Made oatcake cases and pastry cases and crowdie for breakfast - we're having oatcake cases with crowdie and smaked salmon and pastry cases with soft scramble and itty bitty scotch pancakes with butter and homemade jam for breakfast once OH's parents get her at about 11 to go with opening pressies and bucks fizz! Rest of veg prep and putting all the trimmings together will be done tomorrow once I've picked the turkey up but cooking everything on the day apart from the christmas pud which I'll steam tomorrow and nuke when we're ready for it as don't have enough pans otherwise!

Have a good day everyone.
  • narabanekeater
    Options
    As weve got carrots for tea tommorow and again Christmas Day can I simply chop extra tommorow and put them in water in the fridge and how about sprouts please?
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As weve got carrots for tea tommorow and again Christmas Day can I simply chop extra tommorow and put them in water in the fridge and how about sprouts please?

You can do the same with sprouts, I always do them the day before and keep them in water, it's one of the few times I use fresh veg. ( Frozen usually)

This year though I read about a possible sprout shortage due to the weather and got some whoopsied, so I blanched and froze them so they are all good to go.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we finished the shopping. collecting the turkey tomorrow. but we don't feed masses of armies so we're very relaxed and if anything goes wrong, we just eat smoked salmon or cheese on biscuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its been busy for me today:

30 mince pies with hm mincemeat and 30 almond tarts with hm damson jam
    chestnut and sausagemeat stuffing made
    turkey crown prepared
    red cabbage is braising right now
    clotted cream ice cream made with hm fresh custard
    trifle fruit is prepared
    meringues made from left over egg whites
    bread made
    cranberry sauce made

all I have left to do is cook the gammon in the morning and prepare the veg and assemble the trifle late in the day

oh yes, beds made up for family visitors and bathroom prepared for them and tbh I am pretty tired now but intend to enjoy the whole holiday with minimum work from tomorrow. We haven`t been able to go shopping so it is just as well that we had a big order from local food direct, all delivered to the door in a land rover. We just had carols outside and have been invited for a drink to a neighbour tomorrow. Lovely as we are new here in this village. I feel festive now
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    nothing today! today was given over to last minute shopping and wrapping ALL the presents! took us four hours!
    tomorow I will cook the beef and pork joints (we rarely eat those so its a real treat) do some stuffing, the pigs in blankies, and a sticky toffee cake for dessert. and prep the veg. there are 14 of us, 8 adults and 6 kids so this year there are two sittings! kids (adults are wait staff) and then us adults can hopefully eat in peace!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have bought everything except the meat, that's a job for the morning not done anything to prep yet will spend tomorrow sorting stuff out.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Shamed by people's enthusiasm instead of cleaning the silver I baked a yule log. They always go wrong for me but my husband loves them and this one looks fantastic. phew!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure