They've Stopped my Incapacity Benefit!

Options

Comments

• cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    I do agree that it is correct to be honest, but then the medical will be judged on the good days and the bad days not taken into account, there does not appear to be an overall picture that the Doctor doing the medical can give.

When it comes to filling in the form itself it depends who you get advice from really, for example leicester city council publishes a incapacity benefit claim guide that states
    If you have a condition which varies from day to day or week to
    week and your ability to do an activity changes then you should
    answer the question according to those times when your condition
    is worst. You should then use the box provided to explain more
    fully how your condition affects you e.g. whether you have good
    or bad days or how you may feel the next day e.g. very tired.

whereas some councils say just describe in as much detail...

When it comes to the medical, I feel you may as well discuss sheep farming in the shetland islands, or something, as it does not really matter what you say, the examiner will just make up a fictional report anyways. At least they always do when I have been for one of those so called medicals.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • sakara
    sakara Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    i was asked by the Citizens Advice bereau to work out how many bad days id have per week on average per month....If that number was more than average then to describe my symptoms on those bad days.

People will long chronic conditions seem to forget how bad their condition has changed their lives as they become accustomed to it in some way, i know i had. But by really looking into your day now, and before you had the condition you can see the changes. Thats how i explained myself. Id lost so much of what was me that i felt a different person.

(I won my tribunal case by the way..ad would HIGHLY recommend getting the CAB involved to help on any appeal case.)
  • Chrisj
    Chrisj Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I'm writing to say i've just found out that my medical was failed and my benefits have now been stopped (i got 5 out of 15). Before i even attended the medical i was dubious as to how well the doctor would be able to diagnose depression and anxiety and more importantly how well they would be able to gage the severity of my illness. I find it shocking that i can attend CBT sessions with a qualified doctor in that field and they can diagnose severe depression and anxiety (in my case) but the ATOS doctor can make a fair assesment based on a few questions from a computer program.

This makes me question whether the DWP are taking this illness seriously or are they more concerned with their yearly figures?

Needless to say thanks to the comments on this website i will be using all the resources recommended in my appeal and i am also thinking of raising further questions with the DWP (and higher up if needed) about the use of ATOS, their doctors and how qualified and experienced they are in dealing with mental illness. It all well and good being able to gage physical symptoms that are visible but i have serious doubts about their abilities to diagnose mental symptoms that are not so obvious.

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

On another note i have been told that my benefit's will continue/be re instated during the appeals process but have read conflicting things on here. Which is it?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrisj wrote: »
    I'm writing to say i've just found out that my medical was failed and my benefits have now been stopped (i got 5 out of 15). Before i even attended the medical i was dubious as to how well the doctor would be able to diagnose depression and anxiety and more importantly how well they would be able to gage the severity of my illness. I find it shocking that i can attend CBT sessions with a qualified doctor in that field and they can diagnose severe depression and anxiety (in my case) but the ATOS doctor can make a fair assesment based on a few questions from a computer program.

This makes me question whether the DWP are taking this illness seriously or are they more concerned with their yearly figures?

Needless to say thanks to the comments on this website i will be using all the resources recommended in my appeal and i am also thinking of raising further questions with the DWP (and higher up if needed) about the use of ATOS, their doctors and how qualified and experienced they are in dealing with mental illness. It all well and good being able to gage physical symptoms that are visible but i have serious doubts about their abilities to diagnose mental symptoms that are not so obvious.

On another note i have been told that my benefit's will continue/be re instated during the appeals process but have read conflicting things on here. Which is it?

As you have said it was 15 points required for you to pass I assume it is ESA that you are appealing against. If this is the case you will be able to claim ESA at the assessment rate while you wait for your appeal to be dealt with.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Now I'm getting worried. Have to have a medical on the 4th (after them arranging one they NEVER told me about) and I don't know how it's going to affect me. I already have disordered sleep patterns (nightmares every single night -more than 1 a night) and disordered eating (due to medication I can binge or starve or purge or all) so they're going to have fun with me! Also wondering why they want one now, when they could have asked at any time in the past 2 and a half years. I suspect it's something to do with me going to uni in Sept. They assume I'm well enough for uni, I can work (Well no ,that's not the case, uni gives me something to do mentally and they KNOW about my condition, whereas work is just a stress filled pit of anxiety)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • sakara
    sakara Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options

If you were getting incapacity benefit...they stop that, but you can apply for either job seekers allowance or low rate income support.
    i went for the income support as i felt job seekers allowance wasnt right. i could not work, so would have to lie when they ask are you fit for work! they say claiming this doesnt go against your appeal, but during the appeal i was asked why i took income support instead of JSA.
    the downside of only claiming IS is you dont get your NI paid for as you do with JSA.
    I won my appeal and will be getting my IB reinstated plus back pay for the time i was on appeal, minus the income support payments and NI.
  • cit_k
    Options
    if you were on ib you can also apply for esa (which will revert back to IB if you win the appeal)

Best bet is to see a welfare rights advisor (free) for 1-2-1 help.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
  • cit_k
    Options

re use of ATOS etc - You can ask, but dont expect much joy.

The dwp put profit over natural justice, and the use of LIMA and ATOS has been questioned many times before...

plenty on benefitsandwork.co.uk and ukbix.com and yourable.com about the subject...
  • Chrisj
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    As you have said it was 15 points required for you to pass I assume it is ESA that you are appealing against. If this is the case you will be able to claim ESA at the assessment rate while you wait for your appeal to be dealt with.

Sorry i should've clarified i was originally claiming ESA before it was revoked and have been told my claim will continue during the appeals process.
  • Chrisj
    Options
    cit_k wrote: »
    re use of ATOS etc - You can ask, but dont expect much joy.

The dwp put profit over natural justice, and the use of LIMA and ATOS has been questioned many times before...

plenty on benefitsandwork.co.uk and ukbix.com and yourable.com about the subject...

I just seem to be given the impression that they have no idea of mental illness and are dismissive of it as it isn't as blatant as other illnesses/disabilties. The doctor that did my assesment seemed very supicious from the start and made me feel guilty for having a mental illness. Having read many comments on here this seems to be a reacurring theme amongst those with mental illness.

Thankyou for the reply and i'll look up the websites you have given
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport