postage to the USA

Options
Anyone any experience of this I am selling something a PS2 memory card. Its about 1 1/2 inches x 1 x 1/2 inches , made of plastic (lightweight) and had an e-mail asking the postage price to the states. I have no idea what to reply, any ideas anyone ?

Comments

• nightswimmer
    nightswimmer Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    You'll can find out about sending stuff abroad here.

As it's small and light weight, you will probably need to send it airmail using "Small Parcels". You can get extra cover by using Airsure, or International Signed For, but it might not be worth using these if the item isn't that vauable, and the buyer seems ligit.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Air mail is best option, as above.
    Happy chappy
  • freebie_junkie
    Options
    just pop to your post office to get a proper price?
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • OllieLong
    OllieLong Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    If you can find out the weight go here and you can work out the price: http://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=100&AceApplication=consignia&pageId=frameset
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I'd tend to overestimate weights if I'm not sure, that way you won't have any nasty surprises when you post it. A 200g package would cost £2.32 to post airmail to USA, so I'd probably quote around that amount, although I guess a PS2 memory card in a Jiffy bag would probably weigh considerably less.
    If you have kitchen scales, try packing it and weighing the package, add about 20g to allow for any inaccuracy, then use the links others have provided above to check the price.
  • superscotsman
    Options
    just pop to your post office to get a proper price?

You can get a brochure from the post office giving all the overseas prices. If youare sending lots of stuff abroad (I do), and I get lots of inquiries about postage, it might be a good idea to get your own scales. You could adapt a kitchen scales, but - especially with overseas mail - it will have to be pretty accurate. You can buy purpose-made scales at a large stationer like office world, but beware of the cheapo scales. I can tell you from experience that where postage scales are concerned you do get what you pay for.
    Small change can often be found under seat cushions.
    Robert A Heinlein
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    You can get a cheap set of digital scales from the likes of Home Bargians and TG Hughes.

I got a set and they are spot on

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    BE CAREFUL,

about 60% of the items i post to the USA without a tracking number go 'missing'

the ONLY way you're covered posting abroad with paypal is AIRSURE
    AIRMAIL IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

trouble is, airsure only covers 28 countries :-)
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • sirboz
    sirboz Posts: 2,394 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the tip off. Will include the additional cost £3.30, nice one , thanks
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Airsure is the best to use and not much more than Airmail.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure