We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

who finds sealed money boxes helpful in saving money?

Options

Comments

• notlongnow_2
    Options
    Ive seen loads of these in Woolworths for 80p including the 20% off at the mo.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
    Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200
  • FraggleFan
    Options
    I have a big glass jar that i chuck any coppers and any 5, 10 & 20p coins in. It clears the smash out of my purse and it doesn't half add up. I tend to bank it every month, and it's between £20 and £30. Not bad for money I hadn't missed.
  • bizzy_izzy
    Options
    I like them as well, but they have to be ones that i have to open with a tin opener because if i am a bit short of money i use it. I did think of buying the one that you break BUT as mse's do you not begrudge the waste!!!, I think i would
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    notlongnow wrote: »
    Ive seen loads of these in Woolworths for 80p including the 20% off at the mo.

I bought 5 on Saturday - went thru the till at 50p each.

(Lovely cashier.... I keep thinking about her being out of work....)
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    We have used these to keep our £2 coins in and open them when the occaision we are saving up for comes around.. Last year we had almost £400 towards our holiday that we wouldnt have had we not had the sealed box.. this box is for my other halfs fishing trip to france in 2010 so fingers x it will cover the cost of the trip..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • okciv
    okciv Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I have one of the big cans that you can't open without a tin opener. I've been putting the odd £ coin in it for over a year & I have about £100 in it. I won't open it until it's full.
    We also have a large bottle for all coppers that we bank a few times a year & have £60 ish pound in each time.
    I've also just got one of the pots that you break when it's full. Apparently they fit around £1000 in £2 coins.

It's a great way to save!!
    If you can't be nice then stay silent
  • juicygirl
    Options
    Have you seen the sealed pot challenge over on the deft free wanabee board? Loads of us doing it if you want to join the challenge x
  • mrscb
    mrscb Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    got the tins you need tin opener for in Home Bargains 49p:D
    :beer: Am thinking of a new one:beer:
  • miradene
    miradene Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    We save in the big shop sweet jars, just ask in the local corner shop and they usually give them for free(we get ours from a local sandwich shop) or use quality street jars- sealed top to bottom with masking tape to stop any temptation!!!

We put in pound coins dec - july and use that towards holiday spending money. Then do the same from july to dec for christmas. We can easily have around £400 each time. Definatley worth saving in jars!!!!:j
    "If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy":j
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm.
    Used to do this years ago when first married. Had a big fat red plastic piggy bank that we filled to the brim, weighed a ton. We disturbed burglars one evening when coming home from work and the handy pig full of money was one of the few things they grabbed as they legged it out of the back door.
    Sort of seemed a dumb idea after that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport