PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am leaving the dough to rise in my not very hot kitchen for a few hours, will knock back and reknead in kenwood later then shape and prove?

Sorry but I'm a wee bit confused at this. Have you actually taken the dough out of the breadmaker to prove it, but you're then going to put it back in?

You should have a dough setting on your breadmaker, which would take about 90 minutes. When that's finished, you can just take the dough out, knock it back and shape it or stick it in a tin, then leave it to prove and put it straight into the oven. You don't need to put it back into the breadmaker at all. Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

If you're doing a 1lb loaf in a tin, it'll take roughly half an hour to bake. Test it after half an hour (take it out of the tin, tap on the bottom, if it sounds hollow it's done) and if it's not ready, put it back in for another five minutes.
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi,

I assume you mean you're using a Kenwood Chef?

If so, yes, you can use the dough hood to knock it back, but its not really necessary, a few punches with a fist is sufficient!

I would bake it for the same time in a tin or free-form.

PGxx
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I am using a kenwood chef, sorry if confusing! I gave it a quick knead again after it did the first rising and its now proving (I hope) ready to bake later.
    Thanks all
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    Have a quick question following on from my breadmaking earlier....

I have a loaf tin that is 22cm long, 11cm wide and 7cm deep. Is this a 1 or 2lb tin? I made my bread-it had risen loads in the bowl, then shaped and put in loaf tin, proved for about 1 hour, until it came to top of the tin, but its just out of the oven and seems really dense...
    I made a 450g amount of dough-so is my tin too big for that? It also smells quite yeasty just out of the oven, so has it not risen or proved (proven? whats the correct grammar there?

If not, any tips on how to make it less dense? I made it according to the recipe in the chef manual, 450g flour (strong malted wholemeal) 2tsp salt, 7g sachet of yeast and 300mls water.

• Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was there any sugar or honey in the recipe?
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    No it just had salt flour and yeast. I know I usually have to put some sugar in the breadmaker, but it didnt say in the recipe book for the dough.
    I really wanted to make plain bread, but maybe it does need some sugar in there.

Does anyone have failsafe recipes for bread? I REALLY want to just have the Kenwood and be able to rehome the breadmaker....
  • Dustykitten
    Options
    I only make spelt bread by hand so am no expect but I didn't think the yeast would work without sugar.

There is a whole thread on breadmaking on here which I'll try and find for you. One thing I can say is it took me a good few attemtps to get it right and you sort of learn what the dough should look and feel like.

Your tin size is 2lb
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    Thanks,

I think I must have put too little dough in the tin then, as only made 450g of flours-worth of dough. will double it up next time. Or, just buy some 1lb tins, hmm more spending :D (the measurements were taken at the top/wider bit if that makes any difference?

It is the fast action yeast, so doesn't have to have sugar as far as aware.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wholemeal flour on its own can make a very dense loaf (same with rye). Try using half wholemeal and half white, or 250g wholemeal, 200g white.

You don't need sugar for the yeast.
  • Dustykitten
    Options
    Sorry if I mislead you, I use the tinned yeast that needs activating before using.

A 2lb tin hold 900-1000 ml of water if you want to test it that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family