PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    margaret wrote:
    I haven't seen any reference to Russell Hobbs Ultimate. It seems quite expensive so I suppose it will do the job ok? I'm thinking of buying one if I don't get a Panasonic. [I went off them when our new home phones went up the creek after one week! I vowed never to but Panasonic again!!!!!!!!]
    Margaret

Is that the one that's usually priced around £99 that makes jam as well? If so, i noticed this evening it is in the argos sales for £66 currently.

HTH

BTW reason i was in argos was after getting my panasonic SD253, now need a bread cutter to slice bread so that we aren;t always eating doorsteps!
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:
    Is that the one that's usually priced around £99 that makes jam as well? If so, i noticed this evening it is in the argos sales for £66 currently.

No! It's £142 from Amazon. It does make jam.

HTH

BTW reason i was in argos was after getting my panasonic SD253, now need a bread cutter to slice bread so that we aren;t always eating doorsteps!

Do you mean a bread knife or is there a special cutter?
  • livalot
    livalot Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    My father-in-law has given me a Morphy Richards, Model 48260, serial number 10011834 but it has no instructions. There are cups inside, has anyone got one and could let me know how to use it? Thank you.

Hi Trying2Save, you can look at the instructions for your breadmaker online by going to the Morphy Richards web site , looking for the download area (not easy to find as the link is so small ;) ) and entering the model number. Alternatively click here on this link , enter the model number and you can download the manual (BTW you must have Acrobat reader which you probably have already .... if you haven't let me know) Brilliant Breadmaker the Morphy Richards.

HTH

Livalot
  • Trying2Save_3
    Trying2Save_3 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    :T Found it, yippe can't wait now to make some bread. Thank you so much Livalot. :D
  • Trying2Save_3
    Options
    I've made my first loaf but it was well and truly stuck. I finally managed to get it out but there's lots of stuff attached to the sides of the tin. Should I have oiled it before putting the ingredients in?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    just wanted to say I took the plunge and bought the panasonic SD253 at the weekend (i've become so old style i get panic attacks about spending that much money these days) and I absolutely love it. It makes fabulous tasty bread which is soooo easy

thanks to evreyone who recommended it - I'm so pleased with it.

I'd like to try making a seeded loaf with wholemeal flour but the instructions aren't very clear. Should I grind the seeds first to stop it scratching the inside of the pan? If so how finely do people grind them? and what proportion of seeds of different types do people find works best with wholemeal flour?

Help and advice gratefully received
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've made my first loaf but it was well and truly stuck. I finally managed to get it out but there's lots of stuff attached to the sides of the tin. Should I have oiled it before putting the ingredients in?
    Um. Just odd bits of stuff stuck to the sides or the whole loaf stuck?

I've never had one stick to the sides before (did you wash and rinse it well before use?) though I've often had small bits of stuff sticking. Usually a sign of a tiny bit too much water, or too little flour, same difference - and just tuck them into the dough after the first mixing part of the program or whenever I happen to be near the breadmaker.

What often DOES stick on mine is that the paddle sticks to the shaft. That holds the bread in with it. What I do is a) always take the bread out of the pan as soon as it's done and b) if it's stuck I turn the bread pan upside down and tap it (gently to start with then a bit more firmly if it needs it) until the bread pops out.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    maryb wrote:
    I'd like to try making a seeded loaf with wholemeal flour but the instructions aren't very clear. Should I grind the seeds first to stop it scratching the inside of the pan? If so how finely do people grind them? and what proportion of seeds of different types do people find works best with wholemeal flour?

Help and advice gratefully received
    If you look in the Breadmaking Index there's a post indexed for Five Seed Bread that might help you.

You can find it in Old Style Recipes in our "Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or you can follow the clue in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-
    pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    apple_mint wrote:
    We normally do a 5 seed mix in our bread (linseed, sesame, poppy, sunflower and pumkin - the latter two being finely chopped) - which has always been the favourite in our house. We have also done the cinamon and raisin and also a date and walnut - both scrummy.

Yesterday we did Queenie's onion and rosemary (using onions we dried in our dehydrator) ... it is to die for! Thank you Queenie!

What other good flavour combinations have MSE'ers added to bread mixes? (I added mine to the nut dispenser)

Apple Mint,

I'd love to know how much of each type of seed you put in for a given weight of wholemeal flour. And do you chop the bigger seeds in a food processor? how finley do you chop them?

Many thanks
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Trying2Save_3
    Options
    My bread was well and truly stuck, I had to prise it out. A tap didn't work and then I resorted to banging it, but that didn't work either! Tasted great though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure