Heat pump / inverter DIY

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The reason I am having another unit installed is because whilst the 2 units I have in lounge and bedroom heat the flat really well. I have a really long hallway which goes round a corner past the bathroom and at the end of this is a bedroom that currently is rented out to a friend. His room is very cold and draughty as its part of the extension soon after the house was built. This room also sticks out at the end of the house so gets the elements from all sides. My flat mate is using electric heater in there to heat it, even with central heating on its really cold and its costing a lot more to have an electric heater on in there.

SO really the reason is because the heat doesnt get around the corner and into the room and with the room being so cold anyway we need that boost in there.

THe length of the flat is over 30metres so this room is right away from the units.

Its a case of air distribution and if your hall is straight and not long or goes round corners you should be ok.

Email me the plan ill have a look at it tonight, going to bed now as working tonight.

I have PM'd you my email addy.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • stevehead
    Options
    Hermann wrote: »
    Perhaps construction of house, insulation, draughtproofing and efficiency of Heat pump play a part.

I would think the difference between a 'near to ideal' situation and a 'far from ideal situation' would make a significant difference to running costs.

And location too. I saw snow for about 10 mins yesterday lunchtime, but other than that - none. The cold weather affecting the rest of the UK is a spectator sport for us in Plymouth. I haven't had the pleasure of watching gobs of snow being sucked into my outdoor units, and it's business as usual albiet a bit chilly (5.5C).
  • pete1976
    Options
    I've been reading this thread with interest. At the moment just as a learning exercise but we're hoping to move house soon and so I may need to look at heating systems.

Anyway, I was disappointed no-one answered this question:
    Can you use these units for turning a room into a cold store efficently (walk in larder/fridge), and the heat generated from that to heat the rooms in the house?

My thinking would be that this would work up to a point but it would be impossible to control the temperature on the one side. If you had the 'outdoor unit' in the cold store and the system set to heating you'd control the temperature in the house but the temperature in the cold store could drop very low - perhaps even too low for the unit to function? If you did it the other way round you'd have an uncontrollably hot temperature in the house. Also you wouldn't be able to cool the cold store in summer (i.e. when it's most needed).

I'd be interested to hear how the folks posting in this thread are getting on with their various systems a year on. How have they coped with this winter's cold snaps?
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    pete1976 wrote: »

I'd be interested to hear how the folks posting in this thread are getting on with their various systems a year on. How have they coped with this winter's cold snaps?

I've not been using the Air to Air system mentioned in this thread for heating because I find it the wrong type of heat - I don't like having a breeze in the room!

As you may read in the other Air Source thread I have an air to water pump connected to the central heating system and initially had the "outdoor" unit installed in the loft as per manufacturers guidance - it wasn't good! It was fine for the most part, then when the weather turned colder than normal the unit iced up and the ice continued to build up as there was no replacement air getting to the unit. The loft got incredibly cold, all my pipes froze, the unit stop working. When it stopped it defrosted causing melt water to find it's way through the bathroom ceiling!

The unit is on a bracket on the back wall now - outdoors, exposed to the elements and working very happily!

These things aren't built to be in enclosed spaces!
  • richardc1983
    Options
    pete1976 wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread with interest. At the moment just as a learning exercise but we're hoping to move house soon and so I may need to look at heating systems.

Anyway, I was disappointed no-one answered this question:

My thinking would be that this would work up to a point but it would be impossible to control the temperature on the one side. If you had the 'outdoor unit' in the cold store and the system set to heating you'd control the temperature in the house but the temperature in the cold store could drop very low - perhaps even too low for the unit to function? If you did it the other way round you'd have an uncontrollably hot temperature in the house. Also you wouldn't be able to cool the cold store in summer (i.e. when it's most needed).

Heat pumps need to be installed in the open air. No good installing them in enclosed space as they will be very inefficient at collecting the heat!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • abc_123_
    Options
    Does anyone have experience of the DIY installation units with the "snap-fix" connections?
    I have a conservatory which I would like to more usable in winter. It has a couple of central heating rads, and in winter with a bit of sunlight it is OK, but when it is dark or the temperatures are very low, it is just too cold to use. I was considering an ASHP as a tactical solution to warm the space up more effectively. I've seen people advising against the self install units, but just wondered if anyone has first hand experience, and whether their reliability and performance really is that much poorer than the big name brands?
  • Albert01
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]One area that often comes up in relation to this do-it-yourself opportunity is found with identifying the best home air conditioners for your property. Many professionals in this industry would like you to believe that professional aid is a must in order to find the best unit for your property. The reality is that most units have all the vital information needed for homeowners on the product boxes or on their websites.

[/FONT]
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 4 March 2011 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Albert01 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]One area that often comes up in relation to this do-it-yourself opportunity is found with identifying the best home air conditioners for your property. Many professionals in this industry would like you to believe that professional aid is a must in order to find the best unit for your property. The reality is that most units have all the vital information needed for homeowners on the product boxes or on their websites.[/FONT]

Agreed!

In the USA these appliances are used extensively in low cost property - trailer homes, motels etc and sold in all the big 'hardware' stores as DIY items.

http://www.acdirect.com/heat_pump_goodman_heat_pump_rudd_heat_pump_.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport