Heat pump / inverter DIY

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hermann that is correct, but these are purpose built condenser units made for refrigeration lorries/vans etc so are safe as they have been built to take the strain and stress of road life.

The op is actual wanting to install a standard split air conditioning unit designed for a building. The outdoor units and components do not get bounced up and down all day on the road and are just on a wall or mounted on the floor... I doubt standard air conditioning for buildings would be suitable unless the mobile home is static, like a static caravan.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Hermann
    Hermann Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agreed ... A purpose built unit is the way to go if moving around.

There are 12v/mains units available for caravans and motorhomes so I'm sure they'd be ok for a life on the road.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Here is an example...

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/rvp.php

However make sure that the heating side of things is a heat pump and not electrical heating elements otherwise you might as well plug a fan heater in!
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Heres a reply I just got from the forum I posted on:

Not a good idea putting a unit designed for stationary operation into a vehicle.
    The vibration will, sooner or later, harden copper pipes to the point where they split and leak.
    This is the reason why pressure hoses on vehicles are flexible or tough alloy.
  • Jayen4
    Jayen4 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,I'm back. I tried to reply earlier today,but the damned forum 'timed out' on me ! Grrr....
    Anyhow,I've just read your replies and I hear what your saying about vibration. Do you think that could be some way of mixing static and mobile equipment ?? The main reason that I'm interested in this sort of heating ,is that ist is a 'low power' solution.....I would need to keep buying fuel (oil or gas).
    As or mounting the main unit,I was thinking to mount it on the front lower bulkhead,between the landing legs of the trailer. It would be more than strong enough,as it's double skinned and that's the strongest part of the trailer. Maybe mount it in a frame ?
    I will see if I can add a pic of the trailer for you....

There we go...that's the beast ! Needs work,but I'll get there. (Sorry about the big pic).
    Pics_of_Rolling_Thunder_001.jpg
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Jayen4

As stated above theres no wa to mix static and mobile equipment, they use different gases, mobile a/c uses different refrigerants to static a/c.

I quote again:

Not a good idea putting a unit designed for stationary operation into a vehicle.
    The vibration will, sooner or later, harden copper pipes to the point where they split and leak.
    This is the reason why pressure hoses on vehicles are flexible or tough alloy.

This applies to the internal components of the units.

You need to get a unit designed for application. See link below.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/rvp.php
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Can I just ask you as well... does the trailer stay in this position permanently.

If its static and stays here all the time then yeh you will be fine with standard split however if your on the road then you would have to get an a/c engineer to come and dismantle the outdoor unit properly as if you was moving house.
  • Jayen4
    Options
    Hi Richard,

The trailer will be 'mostly' staionary,but will be travelling around some of the time. I did look at that site for that link you put up. There was one unit that seemed to fit the bill.....the 'off roof' unit. Don't know if that uses a heat pump arrangement,like your house system tho ?? I note that is an American site...I wonder if there are any U.K. companies that do such as that ?
    I'd still like to have a look at your system,if I may....help me to understand better.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    yes no worries we can arrange something next week i need to look at my rotas.

As you saw in the video the outdoor unit is connected to the indoor unit by pipework, u see the black insulation covering 2 pipes, one send refrigerant from the outdoor to indoor and the other sends it back to the outdoor from the indoor.

There is a unit on the wall that is what provides the heat or cooling.

What else do you need to understand?

There are probably manufacturers in the UK that do the same sort of unit, it would just take a little bit of a search on google I guess to find someone that does it.

Oh and that unit u see is a heat pump system. Howveer looks to be a fixed speed system, meaning it will either be on at full speed or off. So for instance if your indoor temp is 21C and you require 22C then an "inverter" system will reach that temperature but then slow down to maintain the temperautre and make savings. Whereas a single speed system will run at full speed to reach 22C then it will shut off completly but then kick back in again at full speed. These use more electric but you are still making more savings than having fan heaters or any other type of electric heater. And getting more for your money.
  • Jayen4
    Options
    Richard....

I don't wish to cause you any hassle or waste your time....I understand that you don't want nuisances like me bothering you at home.

I suppose the reason that I wanted to see your system 'in the flesh' was to find out how it deals with multiple rooms,from just one external unit and also what sort of power draw there is to run the unit. In my aplication,I would be trying to power everything from an battery pack/inverter system,with 'maybe' a generator back up.

If you could answer those points,I will leave you in peace. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure