Heat pump / inverter DIY

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you leave it operating at 23C 24/7 or do you lower the temp at night?

I guess heat loss in the house is a big factor? Set your fan speed to high in the colder weather as the full capacity of the unit is only output in high fan speed!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Do you leave it operating at 23C 24/7 or do you lower the temp at night?

I guess heat loss in the house is a big factor? Set your fan speed to high in the colder weather as the full capacity of the unit is only output in high fan speed!

I turn it down most nights, but left it on 23C last night as I had been out playing in the snow (taking photos!) and got cold :D
    I leave the fan set to auto actually and the unit seems to make a good job of picking the right speed. The set point will be reached shortly. By the time I have had my shower it will be there, it's already picked up just from the heat generated making toast, boiling the kettle etc - the ducted system of course reuses this heat elsewhere too.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    When you say ducted and uses heat elsewhere what do you mean uses heat elsewhere?

All systems have return air. For instance my unit isnt ducted but has a return air side that sucks air from the room in to return it back to the unit to be conditioned.

Your system due to being in the loft has to have ducts to remove the air from the rooms it recirculates the air.

Or do you have something else that brings in fresh air from outside but doesnt vent the hot air from inside the house to the outside>?
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    When you say ducted and uses heat elsewhere what do you mean uses heat elsewhere?

All systems have return air. For instance my unit isnt ducted but has a return air side that sucks air from the room in to return it back to the unit to be conditioned.

Your system due to being in the loft has to have ducts to remove the air from the rooms it recirculates the air.

Or do you have something else that brings in fresh air from outside but doesnt vent the hot air from inside the house to the outside>?

No, I mean the former - and by "uses heat from elsewhere" I only mean that instead of letting the heat from a hot kitchen, or steamy bathroom escape (by opening a door or window as you might do normally) it picks the heat up via the return (in each room) and mixes it back in with the air from the rest of the house. It's more efficient than letting the heat escape through a window or cooker hood etc and by the time it is mixed it doesn't get spewed into the rooms as "damp air" because of the quantities involved.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    I understand now. Thought u had installed heat recovery system also.

Well I have gotten home, central heating has heated the place upto 19C this morning, were -1.6here and the ASHP is walking along at 1000w with a 22C indoor temp.

I think I will leave at 22C as this is a nice temp for me, if i go chilly its because I refuse to put extra layers on hate wearing jumpers.

I get too hot if any warmer especially if im moving about the place cleaning etc.
  • Hermann
    Hermann Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Yet Stevehead with two units left on 24/7 in a 3 storey house during a very cold December and January has averaged about 10kWh a day - one third of your figure.

I just find that puzzling!
    Perhaps construction of house, insulation, draughtproofing and efficiency of Heat pump play a part.

I would think the difference between a 'near to ideal' situation and a 'far from ideal situation' would make a significant difference to running costs.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Have just posted this in another post thought would be worth putting in here:

Heres some info about inverters, the same applies across all manufacturers however efficiency levels are different but the operation side of things is the same.

Click here to view more info on heat pumps... its the Mitsubishi New Zealand/Australia site but some interesting articles on heat pumps.

http://www.bdt.co.nz/comfortmaster/support.asp#info

Some info on inverter technology.

Indoors:
    n.gif
    Don’t locate units with obstructions in front.
    n.gif
    Result:
    n.gif

Short cycling of air back to units room sensor making the unit think its wamer/cooler than it actually is.
    Air is not circulated correctly leaving cold/hot areas in room.
    n.gif
    Try to locate the indoor unit where the airflow is pointing to the other areas of the house that may require residual heating/cooling.

Outdoors:
    n.gif
    Avoid paved areas unless a drain kit is fitted. Result: Units condensate and drip water. May cause slime build up or ice. If no other place please advise customer.

Inverter System or Fixed Speed System?

What is a Fixed Speed Split System?
    n.gif
    This system only has a single speed compressor motor that is either on or off.
    n.gif
    It works similar to a fan heater that switches off when the desired temperature is reached and on again when the temperature drops to a set level. It speeds up or slows down to calculate the heat loss from the space to be heated ensuring it is only putting in the same ammount of heat that the space is losing.

What does Inverter Mean?
    n.gif
    Inverter technology uses a variable speed compressor motor similar to a car. It simply slows down and speeds up as needed to hold a selected comfort setting.
    n.gif
    Inverter technology provides a more precise room temperature without the temperature fluctuations of fixed speed systems.

Inverter vs Fixed Speed:
    n.gif
    Inverter Systems are Approximately 30% more efficient than fixed speed systems.
    n.gif
    Inverter systems reach desired room temperature quicker.
    n.gif
    The speed control of the outdoor unit also means quieter operation, this is important especially at night in residential areas.

graph_inverter-fixed.gifgraph_ico_inverter.gif
    Inverter Systems
    • Increased output to achieve set temperature faster.
    • Then varies the output to maintain a constant room temperature.
    n.gifgraph_ico_fixed.gif
    Fixed Speed Type
    • Slowly gets to temperature as output rating is fixed.
    • Then turns on and off to maintain room temperature.
  • samtheman1k
    Options
    punamulta wrote: »
    as the UK air is damp i would expect units to frost up even at above freezing air temps, as the compressor will drop below freezing and the moisture in the air will freeze on it. As long as the unit has an additional reverse defrost cycle on the outside unit it should be ok.

not all units for sale here have that, so check before buying.

This is correct. Our Air/Water Ashp (Mitsubishi ecodan) regularly goes through a defrosting cycle, perhaps once an hour. As the heat exchanging fins are many degrees below the surrounding air, they regularly freeze over and the HP reverses it cycle for just a few seconds to blow all the ice off. You don't notice any difference to the usage of it though as it only lasts a few seconds.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    I am now needing to install another unit onto my multisplit outdoor unit, I already have the wall mount unit just need to get it installed.

If anyone knows anyone in the trade that would like a bit of extra cash can you let me know.
  • anthonykeates
    Options
    I am now needing to install another unit onto my multisplit outdoor unit, I already have the wall mount unit just need to get it installed.

If anyone knows anyone in the trade that would like a bit of extra cash can you let me know.

Out of interest Richard, why do you feel the need to install an extra unit - is the flat not warm enough, or is it just to help with heat distribution?

If I go ahead, I'm thinking in my flat a fairly hefty unit to heat lounge (20ft by 17ft, 10ft ceilings and 7 double glazed windows!) plus another in the main bedroom which would blow out into the hall/bathroom as well. Would leave the second bedroom/study as unheated directly. Whaddaya reckon?

I've got a rather lame layout plan drawn on Paint but I can't work out how to attach it to the post at the moment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure