Grrr - blue badge

Options

Comments

• Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I was mainly aiming my remark at those who weren't even claiming to be disabled.

However, though the wording may vary (though I think you're making rather a sweeping generalisation!), all supermarket disabled spaces seem to have one thing in common: they indicate their location by large pictures of - a blue badge! I think there's a clue there. If we leave it up to the drivers to decide if they're disabled, using their own definition and without showing any proof, why not just let anyone park where they want?

Judging by my local Sainsbury's car park - they pretty much do park where they want! I always notice as I hobble past the disabled parking bays - that there are often more cars without badges than there are with.

I swear it is that well known disability 'Lazyitis' - some of them would drive their cars indoors, up the stairs and into the toilet if they had the option. In fact I'm thinking of applying to Dragon's Den with the first 'commode in a car' idea, I'll make millions. Only problem is - does Dragon's Den have a lift? I can't manage those stairs :rotfl:.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Babshubbie
    Options
    One lot which really get my goat are the trades vans who seem to feel they can leave their vehicles anywhere to "pop in for a packet of fags" or "just get some money from the machine".

And on one occasion a police car in a Blue Badge bay, whose uniformed driver refused to move when asked politely (I'm no fool!!) saying, "I can park anywhere I want"
  • Unity
    Options
    [quote=Babshubbie;16230009And_on_one_occasion_a_police_car_in_a_Blue_Badge_bay,_whose_uniformed_driver_refused_to_move_when_asked_politely_(I'm_no_fool!!)_saying,_"I_can_park_anywhere_I_want"[/quote]

I'd be tempted to say, you should have taken his car registration and reported him to the Police Complaints Committee - but then again, you never know what the repercussions would be :rolleyes:.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Babshubbie
    Options
    Unity wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to say, you should have taken his car registration and reported him to the Police Complaints Committee - but then again, you never know what the repercussions would be :rolleyes:.

Yes. You've got it!. ;)
  • Thorntonone
    Options
    i would have taken a photo on my phone and emailed it to the local rag for there letters page never mind the repercussions .
  • Unity
    Options
    i would have taken a photo on my phone and emailed it to the local rag for there letters page never mind the repercussions .

If I could have done it anonymously I would have - but otherwise I would worry. "Never underestimate the power of the Force" doesn't only apply to 'Star Wars' :D
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Babshubbie wrote: »
    One lot which really get my goat are the trades vans who seem to feel they can leave their vehicles anywhere to "pop in for a packet of fags" or "just get some money from the machine".

And on one occasion a police car in a Blue Badge bay, whose uniformed driver refused to move when asked politely (I'm no fool!!) saying, "I can park anywhere I want"

A few years ago someone took a photo of a police car that was parked on double yellows, while the 2 officers went into BurgerKing (they also took photos of the policemen standing in the queue). It made our local paper and there was a big to do about it.
  • pazza
    pazza Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    jackieb wrote: »
    A few years ago someone took a photo of a police car that was parked on double yellows, while the 2 officers went into BurgerKing (they also took photos of the policemen standing in the queue). It made our local paper and there was a big to do about it.

Here's my effort.

policevan.jpg

And they still haven't paid the ticket I issued them.
  • skintsue
    Options
    As a recent owner of a Blue Badge I'm still coming to terms with its usage, and remembering to take it with me. As I get lifts from a few friends it's impossible to keep it in the one car, so it's another on my 'must remember' list before I leave the house.
    My husband got a load of abuse one day while we had parked in a disabled bay. We had done the supermarket shop and I needed to spend a penny, so I paid a visit while he trotted out to the car and loaded the weekly shop very rapidly into the car and then dashed off to the trolley park.

I wandered out soon after to find him in a heated debated with some guy who refused to believe that he was waiting for me and accusing him of being a selfish $**&@#, or words to that effect.
    His face was a picture when I limped out, complete with neck brace, sling and walking stick. It was an even more interesting colour when I thanked him in the most effusive (polite) terms for being so concerned about the rights of the disabled, and that I really appreciated how determined he was to stick up for those of us in need of consideration.
    He went off quite proud to have done his civic duty - bless!
    I divorced my First Husband on Religious Grounds:A
    He thought He was God. I didn't!;)
  • Babshubbie
    Options
    Vampgirl wrote: »
    However the bays in most supermarkets (and other private car parks around here) are described as "disabled", not "blue badges only" - there is a difference! I have over the past few years talked to many car park attendants who are only too happy for us to use the disabled spaces without a blue badge as they consider that anyone who needs a wheelchair to get around is disabled and therefore fits the criteria for using the space.

I checked at our Sainsbury's this morning. It is a large store which has just been extended with a refurbished car park, and I noted that you are quite right, Vampgirl. The freshly painted signs are the usual wheelchair outline but are not in blue and say "Disabled Parking", not Blue Badge holders only!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure