Grrr - blue badge

Options

Comments

• purplecatlover
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    On another subject, I have to say I'm disappointed by the number of people on this thread who are quite happy to park in a disabled space in a supermarket car park even though they don't have a badge.

its disappointing but does not surprise me tbh, the disabled bays at my local supermarkets are always full, and only a small handful of times have i ever observed cars displaying a blue badge.

i have, on occasions parked in a disabled bay, but thats only been when the whole car park is empty including all the disabled bays and i have only needed to run in for 5 mins at a time when the store would be mostly empty, not too many peopel do their shopping at 1am for example. ive annoyed a certain friend a few times by refusing to stop in them because there were only one or two spaces left.
  • Vampgirl
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    On another subject, I have to say I'm disappointed by the number of people on this thread who are quite happy to park in a disabled space in a supermarket car park even though they don't have a badge.

I bet they're not so confident that they try it on a public road!
    No we don't use them on a public road (or council-run car park) as the rules don't allow it. However the bays in most supermarkets (and other private car parks around here) are described as "disabled", not "blue badges only" - there is a difference! I have over the past few years talked to many car park attendants who are only too happy for us to use the disabled spaces without a blue badge as they consider that anyone who needs a wheelchair to get around is disabled and therefore fits the criteria for using the space.

Does not having a badge make my mother in law less disabled? How nice it would be if the system was perfect, that every disabled person could have a badge, that no-one falls through the gaps. Unfortunately the world isn't like that but what makes it bearable are people who use a little common sense in applying the rules.
  • Babshubbie
    Options
    Vampgirl wrote: »
    No we don't use them on a public road (or council-run car park) as the rules don't allow it. However the bays in most supermarkets (and other private car parks around here) are described as "disabled", not "blue badges only" - there is a difference! I have over the past few years talked to many car park attendants who are only too happy for us to use the disabled spaces without a blue badge as they consider that anyone who needs a wheelchair to get around is disabled and therefore fits the criteria for using the space.

I, for one, hadn't realised that and it throws a whole new light on the subject. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.:)
  • somebody_else
    Options
    I think that may depend on what supermarket you use. My local supermarket has signs up saying that the bays are for the use of Blue Badge holders only.
    s/e
  • Tally-Ho_2
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »
    [
    in north lanarkshire,, if u get the form filled in by GP as well as u this is then consisdereda medical disorder and it is automatically given,, dont think we have 6 week wait here

My mum's local council announced last week that other than those who automatically receive a blue badge (high rate DLA mobility etc) in future all applicants for a blue badge will be assessed by the council occupational therapists and only those who would reach the same standard as to be awarded high mobility DLA will be awarded a blue badge. They are no longer accepting letters from doctors/GP's etc.

Tally
  • Unity
    Unity Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tally-Ho wrote: »
    My mum's local council announced last week that other than those who automatically receive a blue badge (high rate DLA mobility etc) in future all applicants for a blue badge will be assessed by the council occupational therapists and only those who would reach the same standard as to be awarded high mobility DLA will be awarded a blue badge. They are no longer accepting letters from doctors/GP's etc.

Tally

I'll bet the local council's OT's are over the moon about that then :D
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever :D
  • Babshubbie
    Options
    This has been true of my local council for a long time. Applicants have to attend to be assessed by an OT. Only if the disability is very severe will a doctor's letter be accepted.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I double checked and the signs in the supermarket are very clear that the bays are only for badge holders.

When I got my last badge I didn't have the DLA, I had to be assessed by a physiotherapist, I don't think they even contacted my GP.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • tenacioust123
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I double checked and the signs in the supermarket are very clear that the bays are only for badge holders.

When I got my last badge I didn't have the DLA, I had to be assessed by a physiotherapist, I don't think they even contacted my GP.

MY local Tesco's and Morrisons disabled parking is blue badge only too.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vampgirl wrote: »
    No we don't use them on a public road (or council-run car park) as the rules don't allow it. However the bays in most supermarkets (and other private car parks around here) are described as "disabled", not "blue badges only".
    I was mainly aiming my remark at those who weren't even claiming to be disabled.

However, though the wording may vary (though I think you're making rather a sweeping generalisation!), all supermarket disabled spaces seem to have one thing in common: they indicate their location by large pictures of - a blue badge! I think there's a clue there. If we leave it up to the drivers to decide if they're disabled, using their own definition and without showing any proof, why not just let anyone park where they want?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure