We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

E: WSL Pinnacle ShowCenter 1000g £69.97 PCWorld instore only

Options

Comments

• golfer_3
    Options
    Your PC spec maybe the issue, here is the min spec off pinnacles web site

Minimum System Requirements:
    PC with Pentium 3 / Athlon 1GHz or Celeron/Duron 1.2GHz
    256MB RAM
    EIDE hard disk with minimum 10GB free space
    DirectX 7-or higher-compatible graphics card
    DirectX 7-or higher-compatible soundcard
    CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
    Network adapter with one available 100baseT or 100baseT port
    Mouse
    OS: Windows XP Pro (or home), Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher
  • Gem+Dave+Kaci
    Options
    Aaaargh!!!

Using golfer's advice (thanks by the way! :) ) I've set it up via the cable direct into my PC and it can see it - it's just updated it's firmware fine, but it still can't connect to the actual streaming program!! It keeps on showing a 'cannot be displayed' page when it tries to connect. In the server setuop bit it's asking for an IP address to manually set it up - does anyone know where I can find this?

Sorry to keep posting questions on here but there seems to be a lot of people on here with a lot more knowledge than me! :)
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    G+D+K - it turned up then!!

On your PC:

Click START, then RUN, then CMD <enter>.....a DOS box will open.

Type ipconfig <enter>

Enter the IP address shown there starting (probably) 192.168....

Close the DOS box
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Gem+Dave+Kaci
    Options
    Tried that but it's still just bringing up the cannot connect page! I just disabled my antivirus incase that's affecting it but no luck. Should I have something in my system tray? I haven't got any icon there but when I hit Ctr-alt-del is says that the streamserver application is running?!?!

Man this is a headache!!
  • withabix
    Options
    Hmmmm.....it updated the firmware, so it's seeing your pc

Try stopping the streamserver via start/programmes/pinnacle showcenter/Tools/Stop ShowCenter and then Start ShowCenter....

Take the WiFi card out of the ShowCenter if you're hard wired.

On the first screen after the blue ShowCenter screen, does it have a green tick next to your PC?

Have you run Media Manager to put the photo/film/music files into the database?

Via button buttons A/B/C (can't remember which as I'm away from home), have you set network settings to AUTO?

Have you selected ALWAYS CONNECT TO THIS SERVER?

(May be daft questions, if so...sorry!!!)
  • TheGuvnor_2
    Options
    Tried that but it's still just bringing up the cannot connect page! I just disabled my antivirus incase that's affecting it but no luck. Should I have something in my system tray? I haven't got any icon there but when I hit Ctr-alt-del is says that the streamserver application is running?!?!

Man this is a headache!!

Have you got a firewall running? If so, you will need to allow the server software and media centre to use certain ports.

After many attempts to get one of these from PCW (including Customer Services promising to trace the recorded call where they confirmed they had some in stock 30 miles away, and then never phoning me back), I succumbed and bought the Philips Streamium SL400i. I must say, although its not really money saving to buy one of these instead of the Pinnacle, it is a thing of beauty and being able to stream files to your PC is SO much easier than burning DVDs etc.

Anyway, I digress. I have it hooked up through a wireless router, which contains a hardware firewall. Although the Pinnacle is probably uPnP, if you have a wireless router, this option may not be turned on by default. If you turn it on, then it should automatically control the port access through your firewall. If you have neither a firewall, nor a router, then I am stuck for ideas !! I will continue to think about the issues that I had, and see if I can remember anything else.

Sorry for the waffling, babbling reply. I'm tired !

Also, have you tried using any other server software? I am using TVersity.
  • Kurtz_2
    Options
    A couple of points....
    My own personal experience was that my wireless connection worked fine until I restarted my router, after which my network was fine but the ShowCenter just wouldn't connect (even though it found the server OK!). After a good deal of huffing and puffing I eventually restarted my router again and voila! all was well. Funny things, y'know, wireless networks.
    On the subject of PCWorld, I rang their call centre and found out the name of the nearest store that had some left. I then - on the advice of the call centre operator - asked my local store to get one transferred. They obligingly made the call, my SC arrived the very next day and they rang me to tell me it was ready for collection. You can't really complain about that, can you?
  • dc2447
    dc2447 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am having a nightmare with the wireless - no matter what I do - I can't get it onto my wireless network.

Funa and games getting the system back on a wired connection - had to do a factory reset :(
    No links in signatures please.
  • Gem+Dave+Kaci
    Options
    Still no luck! Grrr!!!!!!

When I start the system up it's coming up with a red circle next to the media service status and when I try to connect to it (as it says to do in the manual if this happens) then it won't connect. When I press the 'b' button to go back, then it shows up with a green tick in it and when I try to connect it still won't connect!! I've turned my firewall off and I've got it set up via the straight cat5 lead from the back of the box straight into my computer. It must've updated the software in the box as the boot-up image has changed so it's definitly connected but I've still got no idea why it won't work!! :(

Like I said before, it's not showing an icon for Streamserver in my taskbar and it's not got theoption for the prgram in my start menu whcih surely I should have?? (how am I supposed to access the program without it??).
    I HAVE got the MediaManager program on my PC and I've made a playlist with a couple of movies and songs in the list so I've got no idea what could be wrong with it!!! :(

Also at one point while I've been fiddling about a small box came up with the words 'test signal' and an ok button but I've got no idea what I did to make that happen!!! lol!!
  • withabix
    Options
    Streamserver appears in the Programme Menu 'Pinnacle ShowCenter' under 'Tools'. It should autostart.

If you haven't sussed it out by the weekend I'm back on the mainland where my box is then. I will have a look then!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family