We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

E: WSL Pinnacle ShowCenter 1000g £69.97 PCWorld instore only

Options
This model has been partly superceded by the ShowCenter 200, but for £69.97 it's a steal. Was £200 and still is £150+ in most places!!

Includes 802.11g wireless card in the box, or can be hard wired to your home network.

If you don't know what it is, go here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adapters/Digital+Media+Player/ShowCenter+1000g.htm
British Ex-pat in British Columbia!

Comments

• overide
    overide Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, been after one of these. Will pop down and check it out.
  • djblamire
    djblamire Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Worth giving them a call first.

I've checked all the stores in my area, and they don't have any left :(

Daniel
  • madmackem
    Options
    djblamire - what area is that? just to save me the trouble :-)
  • welshblob
    welshblob Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Removed incorrect comment.
  • Gem+Dave+Kaci
    Options
    Have people had any luck finding these?? I desperatly want one of these but my local store hasn't got any so I'd be happy to pay someone a bit extra if they could post one to me??
    Thanks!! :)
  • dc2447
    dc2447 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Agree it is a good price but why do these devices always require windows :( ?
    No links in signatures please.
  • hendersonb
    Options
    The pinnacle show center doesn indeed play xViDs and DivXs natively, it also has support for MPEG 2 natively. I brought one of these last summer for £120 from PC World. From what I have used it i like it. Although I don't use the pinnacle software that was suppliede with it. I use a program called swisscenter https://www.swisscenter.co.uk.

There are another few programs available for free for running the pinnacle box from, these can be found quite easily from google or believe it or not the pinnacle support forums. Currently pinnacle only give you windows software which was the reason for me using swisscenter as I run a Linux server for it
  • dc2447
    First Post
    Options
    hendersonb wrote:
    The pinnacle show center doesn indeed play xViDs and DivXs natively, it also has support for MPEG 2 natively. I brought one of these last summer for £120 from PC World. From what I have used it i like it. Although I don't use the pinnacle software that was suppliede with it. I use a program called swisscenter https://www.swisscenter.co.uk.

There are another few programs available for free for running the pinnacle box from, these can be found quite easily from google or believe it or not the pinnacle support forums. Currently pinnacle only give you windows software which was the reason for me using swisscenter as I run a Linux server for it

Interesting - I only have Linux here so how does it work? Is there just a Linux server backend that the box talks to?

If it doesn't support MPEG4 how do you handle that?
  • hendersonb
    Options
    Sorry meant to say does play divx / xvid nativley - only simple profile though

The show center basically just conects to the server via http.

On the server you need a web server and php for swisscenter to work - I have mine running on a via epia box located in another room with no keyboard/monitor just acting as a central file server. It isn't really too difficult to setup - only thing about using linux is you need to convert everything to a compatible format yourself - not tried wma/mmv etc not sure if it will play them - certainly won't play anything with DRM in it.

Another nice thing is if you have the box connected to the internet via your lan you can use it to listen to internet radio (namely shoutcast streams). There are a lot of stations out there much more than on sky/DAB etc.
  • dc2447
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry meant to say does play divx / xvid nativley - only simple profile though
    Simple profile?
    On the server you need a web server and php for swisscenter to work - I have mine running on a via epia box located in another room with no keyboard/monitor just acting as a central file server. It isn't really too difficult to setup - only thing about using linux is you need to convert everything to a compatible format yourself - not tried wma/mmv etc not sure if it will play them - certainly won't play anything with DRM in it.

I certainly don't have any WMA/WMV - it's all VOB, OGG, MP3 and Divx. The PHP webserver part is a breeze I have a webserver laready :)

I'm sold on this - new toy first thing in the morning. Many thanks for the heads up - really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family