PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Making my own butter! (merged)

Options

Comments

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    astep70uk wrote:
    Leonie, just spoken to electricshopping and they ARE out of stock!! But, her said they're expecting stock in 3-5 working days, so I'll probably just keep my order with them. I'm off work this week and was hoping to play with it!! Boo Hoo!! Just have to make more butter and lemon curd instead :)

Hmmm they said they had stock when I ordered mine as well, very naughty of them!

I'm going to do a bit more research into the pasta maker and then place my order all at once if I decided I have to have one. In the meantime, you must let me know how you get on with the bangers... I cant wait!
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    Less than five minutes later I had butter! Hubby doesn't like butter too much as I usually buy salted but he loved this. Very happy! :D

I rinsed it and squeezed it lightly and pressed it. When I came to spread it I noticed a few beads of moisture in there. Should I have pressed it really hard?

I made scones with the butter milk and they were yummy! Ooh dear, weigh in tomorrow :o
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,866 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just found lot's of wooden pats/paddles on ebay, many of them under £5 a pair, well worth it for those who are going to do this regularly,
    some lovely moulds too icon7.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    I was given a pair for Christmas - they were originally destined to be ornaments, but are now going to be used regularly :) I wasn't really sure how I should be using them. If anybody has any tips?
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    This is a dreadful thread:mad:

I'm trying so hard to be good with my eating, and I just had to try this out. Now i've just had two slices of maltloaf thickly spread with the most delicious butter ever. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

You lot will be responsible when I can;t get through the door you know!!:rolleyes: ;) :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Roxanne_2
    Options
    Buttermilk pancakes are a weekend breakfast or brunch favorite in our house with any of the following toppings:
    frozen or fresh blueberries ( in pancakes or on top), (low fat) vanilla yoghurt, Maple syrup, or brown sugar and (fresh squeezed - if poss.) lemon juice.
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    Roxanne wrote:
    Buttermilk pancakes are a weekend breakfast or brunch favorite in our house with any of the following toppings:
    frozen or fresh blueberries ( in pancakes or on top), (low fat) vanilla yoghurt, Maple syrup, or brown sugar and (fresh squeezed - if poss.) lemon juice.
    Roxanne, for buttermilk pancakes, is it just normal pancake batter but using buttermilk instead of milk??
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Hairy_Woubit
    Options
    Buttermilk makes a good fruit cake too - and it`s just as easy to make your own yoghurt
  • Roxanne_2
    Options
    astep70uk wrote:
    Roxanne, for buttermilk pancakes, is it just normal pancake batter but using buttermilk instead of milk??
    Yes, you can use in place of milk and get a sense of if you like it or want to reduce the amount of b'milk used next time.

I like Hairy Woubit's fruitcake idea.
    Also, about 30 years ago I worked in the North Cascade Mountains in Washington State, USA on the annual maintainance of a 41 mile National Park Service trail contract and we used to make our own yoghurt each day. We would put some plain youhurt into a quart of heated milk (made from milk non-instant powder). Then I would add about 2 or 3 desert spoons of the plain youghurt to the milk and put into a container with a lid, wrap it up in my sleeping bag and leave it to culture while I worked all day. At night I would put the container into the stream to stop the culture and to keep it very cold. Next morning I would eat it on my oatmeal or granola and start the whole process over fro the next day. Sometimes I would have a little honey & vanilla or maple syrup to add, being sure to reserve some of the plain yog. for the next day. Delish! However, although it seems like only yesterday, doing it in the kitchen is quite a bit easier these days!
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding shaking the jar, I'm sure I read somewhere about if you get a round jar and have little kids, just get them to roll the jar to each other!!!
    In fact, butter-making sounds like it'd be loads of fun for kids!! I used to love baking and making bread when I was little, it would've been sooo cool to eat the bread with my own butter *sigh*
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure