in home bargains they had miniture dairy milks
    that were in gold wrappers just take the dairy milk outer
    off them
    HTH
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya x

I am really annoyed with myself for not taking a picture but I did a pot of gold for a friend's 30th bday - I filled a coffee jar with gold coins and some scratch cards and a lottery ticket. The coffee jar has a rubber seal top so filled the lid with gold stars and then replaced the rubber seal. It looked very effective - sorry I don't have pics.

Loving these pots of gold... I am going to do these for friends and family that we don't spend too much on! Thanks for all the pics and ideas

Alison x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • sarky
    sarky Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    can anybody think of an alternative way of doing this without scratchcards ...

we are having both families round and i'd like to do it as place settings but the in-laws don't believe in gambling as they are religious.... what if i hid a note inside one pot?

thanks in advance ....
  • CT19720
    CT19720 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    Finally got around to making my pots of gold, although only done one to see what it would look like:

DSCF14281.jpg

Really please with how it looks, and am using these instead of crackers this year. Inside is:

Scratchcard
    gold coins/toffees/eclairs all in gold wrappers
    gold party popper
    rubbish christmas joke, that will keep the kids happy
    I have used a glass ikea tea light holder to hold everything
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    It is also time to save - Aim £4,000 - So far this year - £230/£4,000
  • Giggle
    Giggle Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    CT19720 wrote: »
    Finally got around to making my pots of gold, although only done one to see what it would look like:

DSCF14281.jpg

Really please with how it looks, and am using these instead of crackers this year. Inside is:

Scratchcard
    gold coins/toffees/eclairs all in gold wrappers
    gold party popper
    rubbish christmas joke, that will keep the kids happy
    I have used a glass ikea tea light holder to hold everything
    I really like how you have done yours
    I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It
  • RustyFlange
    Options
    I wrapped 2 of mine in yellow tissue paper aswell cause I have to post to bulgaria. I will post pics in a bit, turned on camera to post take pics earlier and it died on me so on charge now :)
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • roxalana
    roxalana Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the moment, woolworths have 3 for 2 on sweets or xmas items plus with a voucher they are giving out in the store there is an extra 20% everything except electricals (which has 10%) until Thursday. Depending on how many pots you are doing that means 3 boxes of 16 ferrero rocher is £5.28 (or you could get other bits if you don't need that many.

I got 2 gold coloured money tins, werthers, 2 packs FR, a set of 100 tree lights and a board game for £11.68!
  • little_lil
    Options
    Hi, in the lakeland sale in Jan I bought some fill your own crackers. They are red with gold ribbon and i am hoping to be able to adapt the idea to fit the crackers. It probably wont look as good as all your pots but the surprise inside should make it a good gift.

Will post some pics when i eventually get round to putting them together.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    Went to woolworths to get some more gold coloured sweets -different shades like someone else on here has done............put them in my jars and they don't look good at all:confused: Think I'll have to scroll back and see how it was done and which colour gold was at the bottom.
    Wanted some gold ribbon to finish them off and the shop was shut !!! Typical -means another trip to town tomorrow..............oh dear, todays not going so good -whats more I'm in charge of dinner and hate cooking.............:mad:

Small moan over................:rotfl:
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • BeenieCat
    BeenieCat Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was thinking of alternatives to sweets/chocolate, and figured you could get plants with a gold theme, so to maybe put a packet of seeds?

I did google "pot of gold seeds" and the results of planting those would be illegal :D:D:D

Still, there are others such as http://www.unwins.co.uk/achillea-cloth-of-gold-seeds-pid913.html and i'm sure there's better ideas.

Just a thought
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport