We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY

Options

Comments

• mcspanna
    mcspanna Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    mandy2008 wrote: »
    i currently recieve DLA and recently my CPN nurse advised me to apply for AA which has baffled me a bit as im not sure you get both these benifits together, as i always thought of them as the same benifits, could you enlighten me please as to weather ive misunderstood my CPN and therefore entitled to DLA and AA at the same time.
    why i get it is im profoundly deaf in both ears and wear hearing aids, i know this aint really a disability in itself to qualify for DLA? besides this because of the state of the disease thats caused the deafness its lead to minerese disease which has had a severe impact on my daily living, apart from the mineres its caused a distressing amount of anxiety to the point i cannot leave the home, and most days im incapable of standing up never mind being mobile to walk around the home, the fear of going out doors has effected me a great deal as ive almost been hit by traffic after stumbling onto the road due to the effects of the mineres.
    ive got 3 children to care for and a single parent, i get help from alot of friends, but i rely on my eldest children all of the time and find this really distressing which does not help the diease at all.
    ive been told to apply for young carers for the children, because of the amount of effort they put into care for me, i also see a CPN nurse because of the anxiety and panic attacks.
    could you please enlighten me as to any help im infact entitled too as i dont like to ask, and im petrified social services get involved and find that im incapable of looking after my children alone.
    as i stated i recieve a great deal of support from friends n relatives but this seems to be not enough as at night time i am always alone and thats when the situation seems to get worse with the symptoms of the mineres having tinnitus when everythings shut down and we are in bed the noises inside my head are more noticeable and profoundly hard to bear, ive got equipment via RNID to help cope with these but i find i do not have the time to use such equipment.
    apart from being scared living in my home i feel really unsecure and vaulnarable to any attack or burglary.
    please can u give me any sort of advise at all to help with this situation as i seem to find no way of escaping this hardship.

Hi Mandy,

Attendance Allowance is the equivalent of DLA for people over the age of 65. I wonder if your CPN is confusing attendance allowance with another benefit? Have you tried this site which runs you through some questions to see what benefits you are entitled to http://www.entitledto.co.uk/ there's also this very good website for young carers who may well be able to give you some advice http://www.youngcarers.net/

All the best,

mcspanna
    "According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible" Bee Movie 2007
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ikkle87 wrote: »
    I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Depression, as well as the bone/joint problems the AS also affects my stomach and means that when I eat I get terrible stomach cramps, I also have very frequent bowel motions sometimes more than 6 or 7 times a day and when I need to go it's a mad dash for the bathroom, seeing as I have trouble walking anyway it means I can't travel anywhere without a toilet in close proximatey. .

It might be worth getting advice from the Crohn's and Colitis society about filling in that part of the form as this situation is certainly relevant and should be mentioned
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • altocumulus
    Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If you need help with them, then they count. However, this needs to be within reason - someone claiming Higher rate mobility saying they need help with dry slope skiing on a Tuesday and rock climbing on Thursdays is unlikely to be believed! :D

Now I have to seriously ask why - just because someone is disabled does not mean that some activities are beyond them ......
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, but higher rate mobility component means that you can't walk more than 28 yards (or something like that) without pain or discomfort, so mountain climbing wouldn't be an obvious choice of hobby!;)
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • altocumulus
    Options
    No, but higher rate mobility component means that you can't walk more than 28 yards (or something like that) without pain or discomfort, so mountain climbing wouldn't be an obvious choice of hobby!;)

What, you not heard of abseiling ? or someone at the top lowering you down a mountainside - I'm not saying it's usual - but one never knows .... :rotfl::rotfl:
  • somebody_else
    Options
    Last time I checked, the criteria for the Blue Badge and the Higher Rate Mobility Component were the same (although I would suggest that they are interpreted differently) which was: "unable to walk 100 yrds/mtrs unsupported and/or without severe discomfort or pain".

I would suggest that one would be pushing one's luck to say you need help for walking round town, but can quite happily climb Ben Nevis.

I suspect Thanatos had his tongue slightly in his cheek when he first posted about that.

I'd also suggest that there's a world of difference between a one-off abseil, etc and going climbing regularly.
    s/e
  • rogjen
    rogjen Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    :j I would like to thank you Sharon, for taking an interest is this forum, I am sure we will all benefit from your input.
  • campins
    campins Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Thanatos, I have tried for DLA and been refused four times. How many applications are successful?
    Love your son.
  • browngirl_2
    Options
    :A:THello, how kind you are to help us DLA claimants.
    Strange that you read as human when I thought that whoever had read my claim form must have been a computer on the blink.
    Seriously though, it is a wonderful to thing to have a human touch to a process which is degrading and depressing to all that have the misfortune of going through it.
    Long may it continue, hope you enjoyed your holiday and didnt once look at a computer!!
    xx
  • salandian
    Options
    HI

This is only quick question.

My wife and I where involved in an RTA in 2006.

My wife was already classed as disabled back then and I was her carer.

The crash did not cause any permenant damage to her. Her illnesses where present before the crash and are still presernt today.

When her compensation comes through will she be expected to pay anything back??

Shes on income support, dla high rate care and low rate mobility?

I am her carer and im on full time carers allowance. My injuries are some what permenant and im trying to not allow them to come in the way of caring after her.

Will i be expected to pay carers allowance back since the crash?

Can this be classed as income as its compensation????

Nothings changed since before the crash nor therefore after the crash and all that will be different is that we will have some extra money coming our way.

IM SO CONFUSED...........

Sal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills