DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Thanatos
    Thanatos Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

You've mentioned consultants' letters. Is there anything to gain by getting my consultant to write me a letter to send in with my application rather than letting the decision maker approach the consultant?

Well, the main thing is that it speeds up the claim. Hospital letters in theory take about three weeks to come back once requested. However, some dont come back at all and some take months.

The NHS actually have an agrrement with us to provide them within a 10 day period, but a number of consutants refuse point blank to complete them saying they dont have time. While I have my own thoughts about the dis-service they do their paitents by doing this, they is nothing we can do about it in an official capcity. By approaching the consultant yourself, you virtually guarantee the provision of evidence, you also reduce the claim time by a minimum of three weeks.
  • magzy1827
    magzy1827 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    hi i am suffering from a bulging disc in my lower back .i am in constant pain all the time and awaiting surgery for this .i have to get help from my husband sometimes when i can't turn in bed or get out of it in the morning as the pain is too severe and i just can't do it on my own , also in the shower as most of the time i can't wash below my knee as it's too sore to bend or a lift my leg up, as it puts a lot of pressure on my back.occasionally i have to get help to put on my underwear and he also has to put on my socks and shoes a lot of the time as well..i can't walk for long periods of time as the more i walk the more i hurt. i have forms to apply for dla and also for the blue badge but not sure whether or not to apply..what is your opinion on this? and is there anything i should know when filling the forms in..

margaret
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • nickyt
    nickyt Posts: 915 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Thanatos,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have just applied for DLA for my 15 year old son. I was wondering if he gets turned down would you mind me pming you for your help. He has two medical conditions, but I filled the form out myself and am now not sure I have done the right thing. I don't want him to lose out because I was not capable of filling the form in properly.

I hope you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks for any help and advice given
    ~~~Nicky~~~
  • Thanatos
    Options
    magzy1827 wrote: »
    hi i am suffering from a bulging disc in my lower back .i am in constant pain all the time and awaiting surgery for this .i have to get help from my husband sometimes when i can't turn in bed or get out of it in the morning as the pain is too severe and i just can't do it on my own , also in the shower as most of the time i can't wash below my knee as it's too sore to bend or a lift my leg up, as it puts a lot of pressure on my back.occasionally i have to get help to put on my underwear and he also has to put on my socks and shoes a lot of the time as well..i can't walk for long periods of time as the more i walk the more i hurt. i have forms to apply for dla and also for the blue badge but not sure whether or not to apply..what is your opinion on this? and is there anything i should know when filling the forms in..

margaret

Hi Margaret, it certainly sounds like you have the makings of a claim. Check out the first post in this thread for the full explination of what level of needs qualifies for what level of benefit.

Things I would suggest including in the claim pack in addition to what you mentioned above is any problems you have with making a main meal for one (such as lifting pots and pans and carrying them across to the sink). Any problems with walking, both inside and out, and toiletting, getting up/down stairs and in/out of chairs.

The DM will be looking for the frequency of your needs and this is perhaps the most important area for back problems. Make sure to include the number of bad/good days (if any) and the number of times in the day/night you need the help. Any medical evidence you have to back up your claim will help speed things along too.

Expect any award to be limited to when your operation is expected as generally we limit to these dates so the renewal falls approx 6 months after the ops so we can reasses your needs at this point.

Good luck with your claim!
  • Thanatos
    Options
    nickyt wrote: »
    Hi Thanatos,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I have just applied for DLA for my 15 year old son. I was wondering if he gets turned down would you mind me pming you for your help. He has two medical conditions, but I filled the form out myself and am now not sure I have done the right thing. I don't want him to lose out because I was not capable of filling the form in properly.

I hope you don't mind me asking.

By all means give me a shout if there are any problems and i will try point out why/where it may have occurred and point you in the right direction.

I wouldnt be able to go as far as helping with actual claim pack completion though, as it would be a little unethical given I work for the department.

Mind you, I am thinking about quitting and setting up a consultancy based on the number of questions this thread has generated! :D
  • nickyt
    nickyt Posts: 915 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much, I think your doing great here and all your help is really appreciated :T
    Thanks for any help and advice given
    ~~~Nicky~~~
  • magzy1827
    Options
    thx for your advice i really appreciate it
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • Sueinbirmingham
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, Thanatos.
  • Thanatos
    Options
    Yay! :T I fixed the formatting on the opening post!

For those interested - I changed the options from WYSIWYG to Standard so i could gain access to the HTML code direct and alter the stuff that was making it look rubbish...

I R Forum UBER! :dance:

Ok, ok small things... i know, I know... :D
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    H

I have a quick question. would being partially,well mostly blind qualify for AA? would a medical need to be done? also do you know if this would come in as lower or higher rate?

Thank you very much
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills