Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, sorry I don`t get them on line - have I posed in the wrong place, just wanted some info about paying for kids glasses. If its in the wrong place could someone move it for me please.
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry katies mum, I meant to ask that question of ka7e! :rolleyes:

ka7e, can I ask you the same question please? :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • katies_mum
    Options
    No problem, hopefully someone will know how the NHS voucher works for kids glasses.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    katies_mum wrote: »
    This time there were no frames that fitted properly or she really liked under the `free` so we were shown small adult frames - these are aroung £79 mark, I`m assuming the lenses are free due to her age).

No all frames are not free for under 16s. There is a limited range of frames for free, and as you're already said, do they really not fit or was it more she didn't like the style?

Why don't you check with the store , they may give a discount on the more expensive frames but why should all adult frames that your kids choose be paid for by the State? That isn't how it works.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thanks for the info, wasn`t expecting the State to pay!! just wondered how the system worked as I thought they got free glasses till age 16.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the info, wasn`t expecting the State to pay!! just wondered how the system worked as I thought they got free glasses till age 16.
    The answer is that children are allowed a voucher which has a limited value which can be offset against the cost of spectacles. Most opticians provide a range of glasses that are equal to the voucher value, thus this makes them free of charge. However, should the child choose a pair of glasses that are more expensive than the value of the voucher, then the voucher can be used in part payment for the chosen glasses.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thank you Steve_xx thats great info.

Might be a silly question but is the voucher worth a certain amount or do the opticians just put their own amount on it. I only ask because if she chooses the frames that come under this scheme she would get frames and lenses, as soon as she goes to ££ glasses then its only the lenses and they don`t make an allowance off the frame. Sorry if I`m sounding a bit dim, its all so confusing.

Many thanks
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2009 at 10:09AM
    Options
    My daughter is very short-sighted and we have used our local D&A since she was first tested at 5. She is now 15 with a prescription of -7.5+! She's just got contacts and is transformed! Because of her strong prescription she has additional voucher discount. Also our local D&A seem to use every discount code they can for her. When she was little I never paid that much but as they grow it gets dearer.
    All kids get vouchers whilst they are in full-time education. The most important thing for choosing glasses is to always get non-reflective lenses otherwise they have that sort of gormless look which isn't too flattering. They must feel comfy and be happy with how they look in their glasses. If you have a poor choice at your opticians, ask them for the voucher (it is your voucher), vote with your feet and try somewhere else. Also look out for the free second pair offers which are good value.
  • katies_mum
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. Didn`t realise you could request the voucher.

They have also offered her a free contact lense check and 30 free pairs so may look into that over the next few months, her friend has lenses so she is thinking about it.
  • bigzippy
    bigzippy Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help me please regarding childrens glasses. Daughter is nearly 13 and has been wearing glasses for about 18m which we got from local optician and didn`t have to pay as its on a voucher (whatever that means). She has had a few pairs of glasses as on a 6 monthly check up. We went to the optician on Saturday for more glasses (optician said she`d issue a voucher which must be the `free glasses for children` so I thought) This time there were no frames that fitted properly or she really liked under the `free` so we were shown small adult frames - these are aroung £79 mark, I`m assuming the lenses are free due to her age).
    I always thought that children didn`t have to pay for their glasses until they were over 16. Please can anyone advise me. Thanks
    Essentially what happens is that you would fill out a form that means the optician can claim back the value of an NHS voucher to pay for your glasses instead of charging you. The optician will be able to tell you how much the NHS voucher is. Then when you're looking at what glasses to get for your daughter you can work out how much of the total cost you'll have to pay. The voucher tends to pay for the cost of the lenses (and potentially coatings) themselves, perhaps with a little left over for frame cost - which is why the more expensive frames are what you have to pay towards. Any decent optician staff should be able to explain it for you :)
    littlewren wrote: »
    Hi Katies Mum, when you order glasses online like this, what happens when you receive them about adjustments that might need to be made? Can you just go into an optician and ask for it to be done? (I suppose they will charge, if you do).
    I've been in several opticians before (with a different opticians frames) and asked them to just tweak them for me while I've been out and about. It's never been a problem - other than to me when I've felt a bit cheeky ;)
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure