Options

Comments

• sweetcarer
    sweetcarer Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have seen these on line

http://www.spectaclesdirect.com/

Wonder if they are any good. I live in Glasgow and they are based in Edinburgh. You can order online or go to their warehouse with technicians to help you.

Thinking of going there as me and hubby are due eye checks soon and probably need glasses - last time it was quite a tidy sum and money is tight this time.

So any reviews, opinions, will be helpful.

Kind wishes

sweetcarer ;)
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Just recieved my order delivered by courier to Spain, 2 pairs of single vision glasses with extra clip on sunshades and one pair of metal framed varifocals with magnetic sunshades. All with proper hard spec cases 68pounds approx. Really great VFM.
  • bhaisab
    bhaisab Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bigzippy wrote: »
    This little debate caught my attention, so I went to Glasses Direct's site as I am looking for some prescription sunglasses...I figured £5 wasn't unreasonable to try 4 pairs of sunglasees at home....except you can't have sunglasses on the home trial, as I discovered. :rolleyes: I can't imagine anyone buying sunglasses at some of those prices without having tried them first unless they've seen them elsewhere, in which case you'd have to be recent with stock and very competitive on price... I fear Glasses Direct are missing a trick here...

the trial glasses are sent with plano lenses, but as sunglasses have the tinted lenses in them already some ppl may be tempted to keep the 4 trial pairs as it only cost them £5.
  • bigzippy
    bigzippy Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    bhaisab wrote: »
    the trial glasses are sent with plano lenses, but as sunglasses have the tinted lenses in them already some ppl may be tempted to keep the 4 trial pairs as it only cost them £5.
    Good point, well presented. There must be a way around it tho.:confused:

On a different matter, I've been trying to get info out of Selectspecs.com to get either a tint put on normal glasses to make them sunglasses, or get the glasses without the coatings on (which they want to charge me more that with the coatings on :cool:). I haven't found the customer service very good, they struggle to answer my questions, I don't think the website's especially clear and they even say on their site that you can't ring them. It all completely puts me off buying from there, but it could potentially be the cheapest way of getting some prescription sunglasses... Any help? :confused:
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
  • glassesdirect_company_representative
    glassesdirect_company_representative Posts: 99 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Thanks David/dvc.
    You say that the sunglasses are risk free as you can return them, but I'm guessing that's not the case if you get prescription lenses in them first...? I@m also guessing that you'd have to pay postage both ways too..?

(Thanks for the wedding wishes :) I actually want to make sure I have prescription sunglasses for the honeymoon! :shhh:)

Huge apologies for the big delay in replying, I've been off having a beautiful little baby. :j

You can return them whether or not you have had prescriptions lenses put in them if you're unhappy with them, we have a 14 day no-quibble guarantee.
    Postage is £3.75 on order (or free if you buy 2 or more pairs). And the returns postage is free.

I'll private message you and we'll make sure we can sort something out for your honeymoon. ;)
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Glasses Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bigzippy
    bigzippy Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    dvc wrote: »
    Huge apologies for the big delay in replying, I've been off having a beautiful little baby. :j

You can return them whether or not you have had prescriptions lenses put in them if you're unhappy with them, we have a 14 day no-quibble guarantee.
    Postage is £3.75 on order (or free if you buy 2 or more pairs). And the returns postage is free.

I'll private message you and we'll make sure we can sort something out for your honeymoon. ;)
    Thanks a lot and CONGRATULATIONS on the baby! :T:dance:
    "I am indelibly stained by hope and longing" - Nuts in May
  • Shrimpergarry
    Options
    worth looking at http://www.lensway.co.uk/ today - they are giving away free lenses and frames to the first 500 customers (you still have to pay for glazing and shipping) - but still works out good value (about £13.50). Some nice frames too - I've ordered mine.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Good point, well presented. There must be a way around it tho.:confused:

On a different matter, I've been trying to get info out of Selectspecs.com to get either a tint put on normal glasses to make them sunglasses, or get the glasses without the coatings on (which they want to charge me more that with the coatings on :cool:). I haven't found the customer service very good, they struggle to answer my questions, I don't think the website's especially clear and they even say on their site that you can't ring them. It all completely puts me off buying from there, but it could potentially be the cheapest way of getting some prescription sunglasses... Any help? :confused:

I have often had tints put on specs after using them for a while and in the local opticians they always seems to charge £12.
    This is the first time I have come across this site so I have got a of reading to do. The thing that interests me the most is the thinness of the glass. In the past I have been told that with a minus 7 prescription on the right eye it's not something that could be offered or, at least, not by an average optician!

After a quick glance through it looks like I will have to pay £100s to get what I want as I have to have varifoculs as well as the thin glass.
  • JustRimless
    JustRimless Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget to look at what the independent opticians in your area are offering.
    You might even find 'bricks and mortar' shops with around 100 frames for £20 including lenses, you can try them on and have them adjusted.

If you are spending more don't be shy to haggle, many will be owner run and would rather see less profit than none at all (if they have any sense).

Plus there are other obvious benefits of shopping with local independent businesses.
    This sig has been left intentionally blank. ;)
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    Try Costco if you have one nearby/know someone who is a member...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback