Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• markku
    markku Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi that is helpful for next time.

Am I able to send them back by recorded post? I wouldn't mind paying the extra just to make sure they get there.

I have ordered two pairs last nght so just waiting for them to arrive. I will post on here how the service is!

One little tip, if you take it into your local post office, you can ask for a proof of postage receipt. It's free and does just that, It proves you posted it.
  • markku
    edited 7 August 2009 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Hi Markku,

I'm really sorry about that, our FAQs need clarifying on this issue.

The FAQs are correct in one way that we will glaze prescriptions up to ±8 and a cylinder of ±4. However, we have another limit - which needs to be added to the FAQs - that the *combined* power of the prescription (i.e. the Sphere + the Cyl) cannot be over ±8, which unfortunately yours is.

The reason for this is that above this figure we feel that a customers will really benefit from a face to face consultation. I'm really sorry we didn't make this clear before you ordered, I'll update the FAQ to make that clearer.

If you really like the frames, you could still buy them, and have them glazed elsewhere.

I'll message you privately to get your details and arrange a refund of the Home Trial fee.

Well I got my glasses this morning from glassesdirect.co.uk
    Slight problem - They're not what I ordered! Same frames but different colour from the ones I stated over the phone and the ones I got on my home trial. Even the product number on my confirmation e-mail was correct so I had no reason to doubt anything would go wrong.

I phoned up and told the rep about the error and yeah, I have to send them back and wait another week for them :( Shame. I was booked in to get them glazed over the weekend.

Alas I'm extremely disappointed. :angry:
  • markku
    Options
    markku wrote: »
    Well I got my glasses this morning from glassesdirect.co.uk
    Slight problem - They're not what I ordered! Same frames but different colour from the ones I stated over the phone and the ones I got on my home trial. Even the product number on my confirmation e-mail was correct so I had no reason to doubt anything would go wrong.

I phoned up and told the rep about the error and yeah, I have to send them back and wait another week for them :( Shame. I was booked in to get them glazed over the weekend.

Alas I'm extremely disappointed. :angry:

Update: David from glasses direct contacted me and he managed to source me my glasses even though they were out showing as out of stock, and that he'll send me out a pair by special delivery so I shall have it by tomorrow hopefully! Awesome. It all worked out thanks to David and the powers of the MSE forum :)
  • jansmith7
    Options
    You may be interested in the site zennioptical
    This is the site of a company in China offering a huge range of glasses at very low prices.(Much lower than all the sites listed in the article.)
    Both my wife and I have bought from them. Payment is by credit card to an office in California-glasses are shipped direct from China via Hong Kong and take about two weeks. Quality is excellent and we have had no problems.
    To give an idea of price-glasses start from 9$ US about £6.
    My last purchase was a pair of rimless distance glasses and a pair of reading glasses which cost 40$ delivered about £25 for the two.
    They do photochromic varifocal etc.
  • glassesdirect_company_representative
    glassesdirect_company_representative Posts: 99 Organisation Representative
    Options
    markku wrote: »
    Update: David from glasses direct contacted me and he managed to source me my glasses even though they were out showing as out of stock, and that he'll send me out a pair by special delivery so I shall have it by tomorrow hopefully! Awesome. It all worked out thanks to David and the powers of the MSE forum :)

I think the problem was someone our end either missheard or miss-entered 'Red' rather than 'Black and red' on the phone when taking the original order. Really sorry about that. :o

Glad we found the frame you wanted (last one in the warehouse!) and got it sorted though.

regards,
    David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Glasses Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jansmith7
    Options
    Suggest you look at Zennioptical on the web-much cheaper than all those listed. Vast choice of frames and lenses.I have bought from them several times-glasses sent direct from China.Last purchase was a pair of rimless and a standard metal rim pair-cost delivered £25!
  • alliballi
    alliballi Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    I bought glasses from glassedirect online and paid £15 in total for them, they have been excellent and I do wear them all the time, would buy from them again rather that an opticians. Well worth the saving
    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.;)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you think its right or wrong, courtesy costs nothing :cool:
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just had really fast service from Glasses Direct -

Fri - ordered 4 frames on trial.
    Sat - frames arrived and one chosen. Frames returned to PO and email order placed. Message from GD to say frames chosen were the last in stock, so there may be a delay in sending out glasses (as they were now in the postal service).
    Mon- confirmation of trial frames being received back and confirmation of order despatch.
    Tues - lovely new specs arrived!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone help me please regarding childrens glasses. Daughter is nearly 13 and has been wearing glasses for about 18m which we got from local optician and didn`t have to pay as its on a voucher (whatever that means). She has had a few pairs of glasses as on a 6 monthly check up. We went to the optician on Saturday for more glasses (optician said she`d issue a voucher which must be the `free glasses for children` so I thought) This time there were no frames that fitted properly or she really liked under the `free` so we were shown small adult frames - these are aroung £79 mark, I`m assuming the lenses are free due to her age).
    I always thought that children didn`t have to pay for their glasses until they were over 16. Please can anyone advise me. Thanks
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Katies Mum, when you order glasses online like this, what happens when you receive them about adjustments that might need to be made? Can you just go into an optician and ask for it to be done? (I suppose they will charge, if you do).
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback