🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• katies_mum
    katies_mum Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks bigzippy. My optician don`t seem to be knocking any money off the frame - I`m just getting the lenses for my daughter and am having to pay the total cost of the frame.
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    My prescription is for varifocals, which are really expensive. When I got my eyes tested in Spring, Optical Express quoted me just over £400 for a quite basic pair.
    I said I'd think about it, and then ordered a pair through Zenni Opticals for £55. I was a bit sceptical about it, as they were so cheap, but they are fantastic. I have gone on to order another 2 pairs. One was transition and they took a bit longer to arrive. Total cost, including 3 delivery charges (as I ordered them separately),of all 3 was £180, and I am thrilled with them
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    My husband has varifocals from Zenni. We live in Spain and it´s nearly always sunny. So he gets his glasses with matching magnetic sunshades...excellent value for money
  • littlewren
    Options
    Thanks bigzippy. :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, I have only just seen the query re fitting of glasses! Just to add to what bigzippy has said, from the Glasses Direct website..
    Q: What if my frames need adjustment after I receive them? A: Most optical stores will do a minor adjustment for a small fee. If you still have problems after that, come back to us.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    Does anyone know what lens manufacturer Glasses Direct use for their 1.6 and 1.74 lenses?

I've ascertained the brands for some other online sellers. Some sell good brands (and much, much cheaper than high street opticians selling the same brands), and some offer uncommon brands (that I wouldn't trust), but I can't find any info. on Glasses Direct.

On a separate note, I had my eyes tested at Optical Express for £15 and the test was fairly thorough (apparently this is the cheapest on the high street, excluding voucher offers etc).
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    peaksoft wrote: »
    Beware if you decide to take up Glasses Direct's home trial frames offer.

The deal seems perfect - they require a £5 deposit, in return for which they will send you four sample frames to try on.

If you return the frames within 10 days, they will allow the deposit against your purchase.

However, here's the snag - they seem to have a recurring 20% "discount" in place for anyone....but they won't allow you to have both the "discount" and a return of your frames deposit.

Should have gone to Spex4Less, to paraphrase a certain TV ad!

Does this also apply with the 10% code? I have taken a home trial, but I also have a 10 per cent discount code, it's a little unfair if both can't be used for a purchase.
  • doshunta
    Options
    For anyone out there with high prescription lenses that badly need thinner lenses....
    Yes you can save a bit on crazily high high street lens costs :mad: with many online folks such as glassesdirect etc, but for much better savings go to Zenni... much bigger savings to be had IMO!
    :beer:
    LBM 1/8/08 Debt@LBM £7829 (ex£3kOD)
    Debt Feb 19 - Paid off all debts .
    MSE saved £400 insulation; Quidco £1,970.;); £100 on Sky+box. Tgt weight 13st. 8lb; now 14.8lb
    MB Profits: £805.
  • egyptiangirl
    Options
    Ordered with glasses direct during the week. Went via topcashback which tracked the next day. As soon as I went on the site it asked me to enter my email addy and get 10% off email which I did.

Selected glasses (which had been reduced). Put in prescription.

Received my glasses just now and sitting wearing exactly what I had expected to be wearing. :cool:
    So over all, very good service for me with absolutely no probs. :j
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    have just bought some of these for my husband from DirectVision2u. they we·re 24pounds approx.
    Very pleased with them and also a very fast turnround time for the order. Order, posted from ireland and then delivered to Spain in 4 days
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure