Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You were correctly advised. The crucial measurement is the distance between the back surface of the lens and the front surface of the eye. This is called the back vertex distance. Even a very small change in this critical distance measurement would have an adverse affect on your vision with a strong prescription such as yours. For this reason, frame fitting needs to be supervised face to face.
  • lauzjp
    lauzjp Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    sandy2 wrote: »
    Contacted Tesco as goggles didn't show on their site. This is a copy of their reply '' It is possible to purchase prescription swimming goggles in store and the cost would be £9.99. The level of sight correction would depend on your husband's individual prescription. If he already has a current prescription, he can call into the store and order them without having to have a sight exam.'' They then gave me the contact no at my local store. This seems excellent value for money so OH will get some next time he's in UK. Thank you Jane for your helpful reply

Sandy, I got my hubby some prescription goggles off ebay - he loves that he can actually see while he's swimming now! :D

ps does anyone know -

Is it possible to pay for glasses in installments? I'm sure you used to be able to do this in Boots, but I haven't been for so long
  • buckrogers
    buckrogers Posts: 829 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi all
    just been to specsavers for my eye test today, and i need reading glasses :-( now
    i had a pair of tinted glasses 'the ones that changed in the sunlight from dark to clear, anti scratch which cost me a lot 2 years ago and the frame alone was £120 which was prescription glasses and i was told i could not use them no more,
    so i asked them to use my old frames and put the new reading lens in them.
    my question is any good cheap web sites that i can buy a pair Sun reaction glasses
    i did look here
    http://www.directspecs.co.uk/default.asp

but can only see prescription ones?

Thanks advance
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    buckrogers wrote: »
    hi all
    just been to specsavers for my eye test today, and i need reading glasses :-( now
    i had a pair of tinted glasses 'the ones that changed in the sunlight from dark to clear, anti scratch which cost me a lot 2 years ago and the frame alone was £120 which was prescription glasses and i was told i could not use them no more,
    so i asked them to use my old frames and put the new reading lens in them.
    my question is any good cheap web sites that i can buy a pair Sun reaction glasses
    i did look here
    http://www.directspecs.co.uk/default.asp

but can only see prescription ones?

Thanks advance

I looked on the site you mentioned and it does mention that you can have readers and photochromic lenses:

Readers to Go [Click for help with Readers to Go]
    no prescription required
    +1.00 [age guide 40-45]+1.50 [age guide 45-50]
    +2.00 [age guide 50-55]+2.50 [age guide 55-60]
    +3.00 [age guide 60-65]+3.50 [age guide 65+]

I selected Ladies Metal Scan 13 with Sunsensor Light Sensitive Brown lenses and the total cost came out at £57.50
  • buckrogers
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    I looked on the site you mentioned and it does mention that you can have readers and photochromic lenses:

I selected Ladies Metal Scan 13 with Sunsensor Light Sensitive Brown lenses and the total cost came out at £57.50

thank you,

what i mean is i want a pair, but without reading lenses,
    as i said the last pair i had were prescription glasses with sunsensor, but i was told that i can not wear them now 'wrong prescription', and just need ones for reading or to use at computer, so i want to get a pair for when i am driving or going about, as my eyes react to bright light (esp. sunlight, but also the lighting in businesses (shops, for example) gives me headaches (sensitivity to light). Thats why my last pair had them in lens, they where light and comfy and i could wear them all the time.
    So its just a pair to wear to help with sensitivity to light.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    So what you're saying is that you want sunglasses? Go anywhere that sells sunglasses.

Or contact the website you mentioned by email or phone and explain to them that you like their glasses frames and that you would like some with plano photochromic lenses in them. That should do the trick and as there would be no prescription in the lense the company could well agree to do them at a reduced rate.
  • buckrogers
    Options
    ok thanks for that, will give them a ring
  • deco105
    deco105 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went for an eye test there today and as soon as I said I wouldn't buy glasses the salesperson wasn't very happy anymore. She refused to give me my PD and acted as if she was doing a personal favour when I requested a copy of the prescription. Never again! I was wondering if there' anywhere in London I could go and get a PD reading.
    Since my prescriptions didn't change significantly, I know I could just send my usual specs to Ciliaryblue and they do it, but is that the best way?

Thanks everyone for all the info here.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    deco105 wrote: »
    I went for an eye test there today and as soon as I said I wouldn't buy glasses the salesperson wasn't very happy anymore. She refused to give me my PD and acted as if she was doing a personal favour when I requested a copy of the prescription. Never again! I was wondering if there' anywhere in London I could go and get a PD reading.
    Since my prescriptions didn't change significantly, I know I could just send my usual specs to Ciliaryblue and they do it, but is that the best way?

Thanks everyone for all the info here.
    You are entitled to have a copy of your test prescription as soon as you have been tested.
  • embee_2
    embee_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    pistjordy wrote: »
    I work for the NHS and since I work with computers we get our eye tests paid for so most people should check with their employer about similar schemes. We also get £30 knocked off the price of any glasses we buy - however, our employers have sneakily said that they will only pay the £30 if the optician admits we ONLY need the glasses for using display equiment. So if you need glasses for driving, TV, reading AND using computers you won't get £30! Sneaky.

Why do you expect the NHS (ie tax payers) to pay for your specs? If it was something like protective clothing or safety specs you needed, fair enough; they should and WOULD be provided at no cost to you. You presumably need your specs for general use as well as work - a bit like the shoes you wear. It's very unlikely, but not impossible that someone would need specs SOLELY for VDU use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback