Glasses Buying Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    posh_eyes wrote: »
    Easy - that is determined by the value the consumer places on the service. It is absolutely nothing to do with any expense profile. If you can't get consumers to buy your service at the price which offers a profit, then offer a service that will offer a profit or get out of the business.
    Right then, your response requires no further elucidation from me.
  • Kayakingtim
    Options
    Hi all,

I posted a question yesterday and it seems to have been deleted - not sure if someone thought it was an advert - which it certainly was not. I read with interest the vast majority of this thread. As someone who needs glasses 365 days a year (including some very tough ones for when I'm on white water rivers), I am due for a new pair of my everyday glasses. I have bought some prescription sun glasses online and have had no complaints and have no qualms about buying my everyday glasses online. That said, I want to make sure that I order them from a reputable retailer. I have found a pair that I tried on in a high-street chain from an online company called thespecsplace. They are not on Martin's list and I wondered if anyone has experience of using them? They say they are based in the UK and also have a high street type shop. The seem like they would do the job, but I am all too aware from past web buying experiences that appearances can be deceptive. If anybody has used them, I would be grateful to know if things went well or if any problems occurred.

Many thanks.
  • nedmundo
    nedmundo Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The price of varifocals is totally excessive by high street opticians - the mark-up on these lenses beggars belief.

I would recommend ordering online only if you are able to visit the company selling the glasses for the necessary measurements to be taken. Type in "varifocal glasses" in google and give the companies listed a call to ask to arrange to visit. Some online companies sell varifocal lenses for £75.00 including taking all the necessary measurements.

It depends on the Varifocals. I frequently fit varifocals, where the cost price is far in excess of your retail price. Granted the law of diminishing returns comes into play but you do get what you pay for where optics is concerned.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • posh_eyes
    posh_eyes Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    nedmundo wrote: »
    It depends on the Varifocals. I frequently fit varifocals, where the cost price is far in excess of your retail price. Granted the law of diminishing returns comes into play but you do get what you pay for where optics is concerned.
    My point is that consumers have been paying far too much for their glasses and contact lenses, including varifocal lenses. There are online companies which can offer the same products as high street opticians, provide a better service and at a lower price. If this were not the case why are there so many thousands of happy consumers who have bought online? The optics profession has shunned internet suppliers but its the consumers who will have the last word.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    My point is that consumers have been paying far too much for their glasses and contact lenses, including varifocal lenses. There are online companies which can offer the same products as high street opticians, provide a better service and at a lower price. If this were not the case why are there so many thousands of happy consumers who have bought online? The optics profession has shunned internet suppliers but its the consumers who will have the last word.
    That's fine if it's your view. You're entitled to hold it.

Buy your glasses online. Hopefully they will arrive as you would wish them to. And of course if they are not as you thought they would be you will have to return them. As you plan to buy them online you will not enjoy the services of the Dispensing Optician who would normally ensure that they fit you properly.

As you say, it may cost you a good bit less and they may be ok. On the other hand.............
  • posh_eyes
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    That's fine if it's your view. You're entitled to hold it.

Buy your glasses online. Hopefully they will arrive as you would wish them to. And of course if they are not as you thought they would be you will have to return them. As you plan to buy them online you will not enjoy the services of the Dispensing Optician who would normally ensure that they fit you properly.

As you say, it may cost you a good bit less and they may be ok. On the other hand.............
    If prices were a bit less, there would be a lot more people buying from the High Street rather than online. But in most cases prices are a lot more from High Street Opticians - sometimes hundreds of pounds more for the same pair of glasses or double the price for contact lenses. In my opinion many opticians have been overcharging for too long, have failed to embrace new technology to support their customers (there are so many independents still using antiquated card systems), and have spent too much time attacking internet and supermarket suppliers rather than identifying opportunities to grow their businesses. Clearly this is not just my view but the view of thousands of people who no longer buy their glasses or contact lenses from High St. opticians.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    If prices were a bit less, there would be a lot more people buying from the High Street rather than online. But in most cases prices are a lot more from High Street Opticians - sometimes hundreds of pounds more for the same pair of glasses or double the price for contact lenses. In my opinion many opticians have been overcharging for too long, have failed to embrace new technology to support their customers (there are so many independents still using antiquated card systems), and have spent too much time attacking internet and supermarket suppliers rather than identifying opportunities to grow their businesses. Clearly this is not just my view but the view of thousands of people who no longer buy their glasses or contact lenses from High St. opticians.

Yes that all sounds fine. So the online purchasing of spectacles will gather momentum at the expense of the high street optician. This will duly drive the high street opticians out of business. This will cause you a grave problem, since you must have a valid eye test prescription in order to purchase your spectacles online. How do you propose to obtain your eye test once you have driven all of those high street opticians out of business?
  • posh_eyes
    edited 29 May 2009 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes that all sounds fine. So the online purchasing of spectacles will gather momentum at the expense of the high street optician. This will duly drive the high street opticians out of business. This will cause you a grave problem, since you must have a valid eye test prescription in order to purchase your spectacles online. How do you propose to obtain your eye test once you have driven all of those high street opticians out of business?
    I think you have missed my points from earlier. Opticians should charge for the services they provide, including eye tests, not offer these services at a discount, often below cost (sometimes free!) and then load all the cost of providing these services on to the products they sell. If they provided a service which people value people will pay for the service. Steve_xx, you seem to feel that somehow the public owe opticians a living.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    I think you have missed my points from earlier. Opticians should charge for the services they provide, including eye tests, not offer these services at a discount, often below cost (sometimes free!) and then load all the cost of providing these services on to the products they sell. If they provided a service which people value people will pay for the service. Unfotunately Steve_xx you seem to feel that somehow the public owe opticians a living.
    Yes, opticians do often charge less for an eye test and then load the cost onto the purchase of spectacles. This is just one example of a business model

However, continuing with the online theme, and bearing in mind that you need to have a valid prescription in order to have your spectacles made up from an online supplier, you need to understand that if high street opticians become nothing more than eye testing stations that the cost of your eye test will have to increase substantially. This increase in the test fee might make your online purchase much less attractive.

I want to deal with your last sentence. My response to this is yes, the general public do owe opticians their living. The optician is a professional person and for this you must pay. Your eyes are one of your most important senses and you would indeed be grateful if after a visit to your optician you were referred on because you were showing some indication of the presence of cancer that you did not know about. An optician could be responsible for saving your life. How much is that actually worth to you?
  • nico26
    nico26 Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    nedmundo wrote: »
    You're quite right nico26 but it was froggy27 asking!

sorry nedmundo need a new brain as well as the new glasses lol:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure