• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Omg this thread runs and runs-what is this companies problem
  • Gwynlewis
    Gwynlewis Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I purchased my Sarrace Core Cabin in May 2013. I think that I may have had second thoughts about using the company if I had read this thread first, but my experience of them has been very positive.

Delivery - there were many more parts than I expected, but the driver and myself stored them in my garage.

Construction - it took some time to get the first couple of rows lined up, but after that it was fairly plain sailing. On my own, I managed to build it up to and including the purlins in just one and a half days, painting the exterior as I went as two of the sides have little space behind them. I was very pleased with my efforts as I was approaching my 65th birthday.

I subsequently added a guttering and downpipe to keep the rainwater away from the front of the building and have also given the roof two coats of Thompson's Roof Seal.

Usage - after I had lighting and some power points fitted I began the job of creating a model railway in my cabin around September. I have used the building almost everyday since and am very pleased with it. I purchased a cheap convector heater to keep out the cold and hardly ever had to put it on the highest setting to keep me comfortable.

Opinions - I am delighted with my purchase and look forward to using it for many years. Some of the instructions were not very clear and were not all together in one place, but this did not give rise to any major issues. All the components were of a high standard and there were spares for a number of items. I could have bought a shed for a fraction of the price, but I wouldn't want to swap my cabin for one. And yes, I would use Dunster House again

Disclaimer - my only relationship to Dunster House is that of a (very happy) customer
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh God, another newbie only having good reports....:rotfl::T

Lin ;)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair, that particular newbie has been here for nearly 5 years...
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    ... and posted on average just under once per year. :D
  • foolsgold99
    foolsgold99 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was just about to order too. Thankfully read tis. Trouble is, does anyone know any good alternative. I live in Glasgow, it would be good to use somewhere relatively local so that I could go and see the summerhouses and get a feel for the place.
  • IAmTheUser
    Options
    Some of the timber delivered was so poor it was unusable, and I had to purchase replacements locally. Two of the double glazed windows were so badly made that they did not fit and showed signs of damage. Instructions were difficult to follow - even Ikea are better than these were. Many of the the wall timbers were so warped that is was not possible to construct the building as described. Told that 'customer support' can only be contacted by e-mail, which is useless when you are trying to finish the building on a Friday afternoon before the weekend. Driver in a rush to go to his next site, so given no opportunity to check for damage before he left. Had to remove over 60 staples from the floor and ceiling timber. What is the point of having door and window hinges screwed from the outside of the building making security non-existent?

In view of the poor quality, I hate to think how short a time it will last - why, oh why, did not I not purchase from a better supplier?
  • bluesince52
    Options
    i'm so glad I came on here tonight,i was just about to order a summer house. thanks everybody.
  • bluesince52
    Options
    anybody know a good company where I can get a log cabin or summer house with good customer relations and of course good quality.thanks
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    My previous post has been deleted by MSE after receiving complaints from Dunster House legal department when I criticised the companies "clarity" on their products. I e-mailed the company to explain my post and willingly edited the companies name and clarified some other points. My edited post was an observation on the log cabin industry and not aimed at any single company.

I also raised some questions with Dunster House about their website and claims about their product and they haven't had the decency to reply to my e-mail....

Is it just an oversight on their part or just trying to bully anyone who asks them difficult questions?.. Make of that what you will...................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure