Dunster House Log Cabnis, nice cabin shame about the ingrained dirt

Options
We have just had a Dunster House log cabin built.

It is beautiful, except when you step inside and see the dirt on some of the timber which does not come off easily. The builders tried to hide it as much as possible especially as it was a double skin wall so as to place the dirty side out of sight, but there are still some eyesores left.

I contacted Dunster asking what to do about it - expecting some suggestions on how to clean it. Instead came a get out saying we signed a delivery note so we cannot reject the materials and a standard disclaimer reply saying "Our log cabins are supplied as garden buildings and to the standards normally associated with this type of product. We do not claim or charge to supply and construct a product similar to more expensive joinery manufactured timber products fitted into domestic houses. We sell thousands of these Log cabins too many satisfied customers and all have the same standard."

So to all of you who have bought a log cabin, whether from Dunster or not....

1) The materials delivered was a whole lorry load, I would say more than 200 pieces of timber. Is it reasonable to expect the consumer to inspect each and every one on BOTH SIDES looking for dirt. It was hard enough trying to spot the damaged pieces (there was one and this was only spotted as the plastic covering was pierced where the fork lift truck must have missed the underside of the pallet and it got inside instead). If this went to court, have I waived my rights by signing the delivery?

2) Is it 'normal' and are other customer's satisfied with their brand new log cabins if the timber has black marks on it with ingrained dirt? Are we being too fussy?

Any comments appreciated

Comments

• MPwannasavemoney
    Options
    oh well looks llike we are being too fussy - thats it then will just have to get the builders to sand it down - yet another unforseen expense.

Now the lead on the windows is starting to oxidise, what do we do about that?
  • mjk1949
    Options
    We also bought a Dunster House Cabin which was delivered last week, Dunster specify that upon delivery there needs to be someone to help the driver off with your cabin, which gets delivered in a million pieces! some of the components are very heavy and if you are not built for carrying heavy sizeable items you need to arrange a strapping young bloke or two to be there for the delivery... but bear in mind Dunster won't let you know what time they are arriving or even if it's a morning or afternoon drop! The quality of the timber is ok, we had some very twisted lengths (unusable) and several were damaged slightly or split.

The driver wouldn't leave the pavement which meant that even the large double glazed units and built up items like the windows, this company expects you to carry yourself! Do currys expect YOU to get your new washing machine into your house? no! they have two men on the vehicle to meet health and safety regulations and deliver your purchase to where you want it to go!

The instructions are vague in parts and if you want to maybe check with the company that you are correct in what you are about to do you can't speak to anyone, which I found very impersonal and very frustrating, they propose you email them and wait up to 3 hours for a response, so if you decide to pay someone to undertake the work for you It could cost you a fair bit!

Apparently they buy the cabins in from an eastern european country on pallets, so they have no pride in their product!!! I definately wouldn't buy from them again!!!
  • knightrider99
    Options
    Can only agree with all of the above comments. Have just bought and had installed (didn't read these notes until too late) a log cabin. The log cabin itself seems OK, but the design on the decking is appaling - only one bearer underneath, and so very bouncy when you walk on it. And the guttering/water butts are a waste of time. We have just taken them off.
    Have emailed Dunster House twice to complain, and have just received a standard reply stating "Your installation has been completed in accordance with the installation Agreement and contract and is deemed to be completed in satisfactory standard"
    So next step, Trading Standards.
    And don't bother buying from Dunster House unless you are prepared to fix all the problems out yourself.
  • jamesperrett
    Options

Anyone know of any more reputable log cabin companies?

We bought a Lillevilla 70 from http://www.logcabinsonline.co.uk just over 2 years ago after seeing a slightly larger version at a friend's house. The cabins themselves are good value for money although I felt that their erection service was a little expensive. We may well buy another one from them although this time I'll build it myself.

James.
  • tim.charles_2
    Options
    We bought a Lillevilla 70 from http://www.logcabinsonline.co.uk just over 2 years ago after seeing a slightly larger version at a friend's house. The cabins themselves are good value for money although I felt that their erection service was a little expensive. We may well buy another one from them although this time I'll build it myself.

Just had look on this website, the cabin's look great. I also watched the video. Do you have/need to have a concrete base?
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    Lead that oxidises..... Not exactly new, unless freshly cut (very shiny), all lead you see is oxidised.
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • jamesperrett
    Options
    Just had look on this website, the cabin's look great. I also watched the video. Do you have/need to have a concrete base?

We're on chalk so they sunk wooden piles in concrete down to the chalk and put wooden bearers between the piles. The cabin was then built on the bearers. I notice that they are using concrete blocks in the video.

James.
  • stevewilliams_2
    Options

James.

Thanks, do you use yours in the winter? Does it take much heating?

Thanks again
  • withers
    Options
    Hi I too bought from Dunster house and have never regretted anything so much. I ordered a cabin for £3100, the sales person said he would come back on a couple of technical issues, he never called back and we had to make a100 mile round trip to sort out. We waited 25 mins in the reception for him.
    He gave too many yes's when we were not confident he knew.
    we wrote asking : will the floor take the hot tub? no reply
    we asked when it would be delivered, we were told two different dates
    we called despatch, left a message a day later called again: we got the reply: we havent even listed to our messages from last week let alone yesterday.
    we called the sales manager Andrew: delivery the 18th
    the despatch left a message: delivery the 14th
    we cancelled.
    we were charged £50 fee for the cancellation
    we were sent a set of terms and conditions telling us this applied because we cancelled 7 days after deliver:
    it was never delivered
    A totally mad company, if your time is precious and you value good customer service dont use Dunster House ever
  • RevCJW
    RevCJW Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    we had our lantera cabin and base installed in December 2010 and painted with Cuprinol immediately which despite being the wood preservative market leader is is an 'unknown' to Dunster House, now 6months later we have a door bowing and the Dunster response is take it off and lay heavy weights on it , the 'nuffin to do wiv me guv' aproach , they wont take phone calls and send emails only . After spending over 5000 I expected more and was really shocked by their lack of interest and particularly the operator who hung up on me when I insisted on speaking to a customer services representative . Starting to feel we may have made a very bad mistake .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure