Wireless - Look here! File & Printer Sharing too

Comments

• old_codger1
    old_codger1 Posts: 250 Forumite
    Good find, bluboy :)
  • Any sites with the Microsoft wireless adapater for cheap?
  • jase_uk_2
    jase_uk_2 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Forgive me if this has been asked before but i have Virgin broadband 10mb. My son has just bought himself a laptop and would like to share my connection he also has a wii and a nds which he'd like to use, what is the best router you could recommend to me?, im looking at around £50 but can go slightly higher if needed. I would also like quite a fast one (i've heard that they can slow things down). Im quite happy for it to be wired into my pc so will not need a usb adaptor just yet.
    many thanks
  • ComplexP
    ComplexP Posts: 328 Forumite
    jase_uk wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has been asked before but i have Virgin broadband 10mb. My son has just bought himself a laptop and would like to share my connection he also has a wii and a nds which he'd like to use, what is the best router you could recommend to me?, im looking at around £50 but can go slightly higher if needed. I would also like quite a fast one (i've heard that they can slow things down). Im quite happy for it to be wired into my pc so will not need a usb adaptor just yet.
    many thanks

I could be wrong but for sharing an internet connection I'm fairly sure a basic router is fine since they are usually good for about 30MBits?

High speed routers are if you happen to have a crazy fast net connection or want to transfer large files quickly between your computers around the house.

I have a standard wireless Thompson router that's worth £30 and it shares my bandwidth perfectly fine between 3 computers and a Wii. I notice it can be a bit sluggish when transferring music and video between the upstairs and downstairs computers but otherwise it's been perfect.
  • ian2211
    ian2211 Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2009 at 9:58PM
    You should be able to get a 54MBPS one for under £50
    It said on the box requires Windows 7 or better, so I bought a MAC
  • hogshead
    hogshead Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    We have a desktop PC which we want make wireless & put in another room. DD will also need to use her laptop wireless.

Bought a Belkin wireless router & adapter, have installed it but can't get a connection. I am certain it is something we are missing re the settings but not being PC savvy I am struggling to resolve the issue.

Any help much appreciated. TIA.
  • lou--b
    lou--b Posts: 150 Forumite
    Dont know if this is in the right place but here goes anyway.
    My ex bf set up my wireless router, I have now purchased a laptop for ds xmas and dont have the password to set it up! Cant ask the ex as dont have a contact number for him. Is there anyway I can find the password in the harddrive? Failing that can I somehow override it? Pretty pc illiterate so not got a clue (thats why he set it up and not me!)
    Any help would be appreciated, dont want an upset 12yr old on xmas day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lou
  • davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    lou--b wrote: »
    Dont know if this is in the right place but here goes anyway.
    My ex bf set up my wireless router, I have now purchased a laptop for ds xmas and dont have the password to set it up! Cant ask the ex as dont have a contact number for him. Is there anyway I can find the password in the harddrive? Failing that can I somehow override it? Pretty pc illiterate so not got a clue (thats why he set it up and not me!)
    Any help would be appreciated, dont want an upset 12yr old on xmas day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lou
    If he has set a password on the router, you can't find it out. The only way would be to reset the router back to defaults - the downside of this being you will lose your current connection and will have to set it up from scratch again.
    Your best chance is that most people who don't do this all the time leave the router with the default password - this is bad security, but it could work in your favour here.
    Post the make and model of your router, and someone should be able to tell you the default settings.
  • lou--b
    lou--b Posts: 150 Forumite
    davb wrote: »
    If he has set a password on the router, you can't find it out. The only way would be to reset the router back to defaults - the downside of this being you will lose your current connection and will have to set it up from scratch again.
    Your best chance is that most people who don't do this all the time leave the router with the default password - this is bad security, but it could work in your favour here.
    Post the make and model of your router, and someone should be able to tell you the default settings.

Thanks for that, will try using default (is that the one on the back of the router?)
    the router is a Netgear WNR834B
    Again thanks for any help.

Lou
  • davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    lou--b wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will try using default (is that the one on the back of the router?)
    the router is a Netgear WNR834B
    If you have some wireless settings on a sticker on the router, then it's certainly worth a try with them.
    If this fails, the next step would be to try and access the router settings by entering one of these addresses into your browser (Internet Explorer):
    http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm
    http://www.routerlogin.net
    http://www.routerlogin.com
    http://192.168.1.1
    (these look like web addresses, but they are all local)

If you ger a login box, use these default credentials:
    Username = admin
    Password = password

If that works you can navigate to the Wireless settings and try to see what they are set to. You will need:
    SSID - default is NETGEAR and is case sensitive.
    Encryption type, usually WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK but could be WEP
    Passphrase - could be anything

Give it a try and see how it goes.

If you can't get in, then it looks like a factory reset - but doing this will lose all of your current settings (and your internet connections) - if you need to do this I will tell you how.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure