Eon energy tracker..is it accurate?

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frugalfran wrote: »
    We have previously found the tracker a great help, but recently have got VERY fed up with it - so much so that today I looked on MSE and found this thread.
    I really find it hard to believe that Eon have not sorted this out after all this time- averaging is no help to those who post monthly figures. We know when we are on holiday, when we have visitors and when it's cold etc and expect the tracker to reflect this.
    Our tracker now says we were up for Aug and Sept when we know we were down, hardly helping us to save...
    I have called and was told there was a glitch inthe tracker, but having read the thread I now doubt the veracity of that comment, my faith in Eon's tracker and therefore the company is diminishing by the day.
    An up to date reply from Malc would be much appreciated

Hi frugalfran

I'm sorry you're fed up with our online energy tracker.

The tracker gives only a representation of usage. It is based on the meter readings used for billing to give a daily average. I'm afraid readings supplied in between bills are not always reflected in the graphs.

However, this has improved recently, in that, regular readings are now included in the overall info which backs up the tracker. Therefore, although we are still looking at averages, these are now more accurate than previously.

I've had a chat with one of our website people this morning and there are currently no plans to change this particular format.

This is not to say it will never change, though, as our website continues to be updated to meet different circumstances.

For even greater accuracy, I would recommend taking regular readings and working this out over the particular period you are looking at.

Our website has experienced certain problems recently and these will have had an impact on the tracker.

Again, I'm sorry the tracker is not to your particular liking but hope I've explained the mechanics it is based on.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    As a slight aside I was invited the other day to comment on their proposed new billing format. It was incredibly bad. I doubt they'll be sorting the tracker out for some time...

I hope they're also going for the "chose which winter months you want a discount for" plan which they pushed around for review a few months back, although this will probably be way to complicated to implement.

I hope their customer feedback isn't being totally ignored...

Hi grumpycrab

Not sure what particular survey you were responding to but these avenues of customer feedback are always taken very seriously.

This type of input is highly important in forming future policy. Many thanks for agreeing to take part.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • frugalfran
    frugalfran Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    'The tracker gives only a representation of usage. It is based on the meter readings used for billing to give a daily average.'

Billing is done quarterly, but my point is that a daily average over a quarter is really not very useful when people bother to log and send Eon monthly readings.

' I'm afraid readings supplied in between bills are not always reflected in the graphs.'

Why not?
    'However, this has improved recently, in that, regular readings are now included in the overall info which backs up the tracker.'

Could you tell me a bit more exactly what you mean on this one please?

'Therefore, although we are still looking at averages, these are now more accurate than previously.'

I don't see how these can be more accurate What 'average' do
    you use? Also the predictions on the current quarter don't relate to any of our previous figures - last year's or the ones we have now sent you for Aug and September. An incorrect average compared this year to an incorrect average last year doesn't seem a very good tool - if it's not credible to your customers, it's not useful.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Email today from EON all about "Energy tracker" although you can never be 100% sure what they're talking about. It concludes

"Later this month we're launching a new interactive tool to help you measure and improve your household energy fitness. When we're sure everything is ready, we'll email you again and ask you to join us in our efforts to get the nation energy fit."

So is this part of tracking as in external monitoring of recorded energy usage or something to do with internal "energy fit" monitoring IE something we have to do with our EON electricity monitors? Ooo, I can't wait...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • frugalfran
    Options
    Wasn't he the guy who sang ' The sun ain't gonna shine any more' ? So now he's with eon, making money from that fact!
    (For those who haven't received it, Scott is the name on the tracker email referred to above.)

Have just re-read Malc's reply - so to get more accurate info I need to plot it all myself and work it out??? So precisely what is the point of the tracker? I now prefer my energy monitor, much better than an inaccurate graph.
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Email today from EON all about "Energy tracker" although you can never be 100% sure what they're talking about. It concludes

"Later this month we're launching a new interactive tool to help you measure and improve your household energy fitness. When we're sure everything is ready, we'll email you again and ask you to join us in our efforts to get the nation energy fit."

So is this part of tracking as in external monitoring of recorded energy usage or something to do with internal "energy fit" monitoring IE something we have to do with our EON electricity monitors? Ooo, I can't wait...

Hi grumpycrab

I'm aware of this new interactive tool but, at the moment, that's about it.

Due to go on a training session tomorrow to see what it's all about. Should be able to give you a bit more info after this.

Who knows, could be in for exciting times. :D

Malc
    Options
    frugalfran wrote: »
    Wasn't he the guy who sang ' The sun ain't gonna shine any more' ? So now he's with eon, making money from that fact!
    (For those who haven't received it, Scott is the name on the tracker email referred to above.)

Have just re-read Malc's reply - so to get more accurate info I need to plot it all myself and work it out??? So precisely what is the point of the tracker? I now prefer my energy monitor, much better than an inaccurate graph.

Hi frugalfran

Our energy tracker is just one of the tools we are using to help raise awareness of energy usage.

As it currently stands, it only gives an idea of usage. It is certainly not to be thought of as any kind of accurate measure of what you are consuming on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

For this sort of accuracy, the best tool to use by far is your meter.

Sorry the tracker isn't to your liking frugalfran; hopefully some of the improvements we are working on will be more useful to you.

By the way, Scott is a real person; at least I hope he is as I've just been speaking to him. :D

Malc
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    To EON reps. Although EON are quite good at collecting customer feedback I'm yet to be convinced that they take much notice of it. One suggestion re. "Energy tracker" and "Energy fit". EON need to combine these apparently separate ideas into a simple-to-understand single campaign. Apart from low bills, customers want to see nice clear ideas; we don't have time to drill down web pages to work out what all these things are about.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    Options
    Hi grumpycrab

Absolutely take your point about drilling down web pages. The easier to find info the better.

There is a lot of work going on at the moment with our website. I'm only aware of the basics at present but, as per my earlier post, I'm due to attend a training session to update me on some of the proposed changes.

I fully take your point about including the energy tracker within our overall Energy Fit campaign and will certainly pass this on. Can't promise this will happen but happy to put the point forward.

The one thing I can assure you of, though, is we do take feedback seriously.

You will appreciate, the surveys we undertake return a variety of different responses/suggestions/ideas. Whilst not every suggestion will be taken on board, they will all be considered.

Many thanks for participating in the survey.

Malc
  • Ash1982
    Ash1982 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Malc,

I've just read through this thread, I am also interested in the Energy Tracker and find it hard to trust.

I use it for electricity, as I have no gas and my flat's heating is storage heaters. My electricity usage varies from 6/7 kwh per day in summer to 29/30 kwh in winter. Last winters data for Jan/Feb/Mar is low at 24/25 kwh and I am sure it changes between log ins (although I can prove it!).

Did you go to the training you refer too? If so, can you provide us with the latest as to exactly where e-on are taking this? I'd like to see the website show actual monthly usage if the customer enters in a reading on 1st of each month, should not be too hard to do?

Ash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport