Eon energy tracker..is it accurate?

Options
*onlyme*
*onlyme* Posts: 947 Forumite
I take weekly meter readings of my gas and electric and every first Tuesday of the month, I log my readings online.

Today I went to check my energy usage online which does a comparison to last year. I only started to read meters on a weekly basis back in July, so can't say we used less or more to last year but I do know that for our gas, every week we have been using the same since July, which is 3 units. (I know this is not kwh but the point is it is always the same)

Last week it went up to 4 as we have had the heating on for an hour in the evenings. This was week 30/09 to 07/10

I like to understand then how the energy tracker shows that I have used a lot more gas in September then I did in August...when it is exactly the same.

tracker.jpg

I am now questioning if this tracker is actually accurate as I am convinced it is not...

Has anyone got any experience with this?

edited to add, the red line is our 2007 usage and the blue blocks 2008 usage

Comments

• Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    I think ours is accurate but then ours is far more smooth than yours with an obvious curve down this year and last into summer and then up gaain. We also use less since trying to cut down and that is also indicated on our tracker really clearly.

Although I cannot vouch for absolute accuracy ours does seem to reflect a sensible level of kwh per fuel for what we use. I tend to look at the graph for each individual fuel not the total one.

Is that just your gas graph?

Did you enter the meter reading slightly wrong? You can check on the website.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I am with E-on and I read my meters on the 1st of the month, I do a weekly read on a Sunday, which I enter on my spreadsheet and on this I also include my month end reading, so I can get an accurate monthly usage.
    I will go and look at my E-on graph, but I think yours will possibly differ as you are not actually inputting a read for a calendar month.
    Have a check on an actual calendar as to how many days your first Tuesday read covers for both August & September.

cachedimageservice.axd?data=c1d8cdb5-e791-4b5e-9ba5-693bf357c02f

Mine are pretty accurate, I only put my gas with E-on earlier this year and only started regular inputting of reading from the beginning of August.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    In a word - no, they're not accurate. I missed one month inputting my meter reading but had written it down, so sent an email as soon as I could requesting the reading be tied into a particular date. The email reply received went along the lines of no need to send a reading each month - just do one per quarter as it's all averaged out in line with what they expect a normal user to use.
  • Kez100
    Kez100 Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand that. My last quarter was August. I put in September and that reading came up on the graph. Are you saying they will change September when I put in October (nicking a bit from October or the opposite) if it doesn't fit the 'normal use'? I don;t think so.

What I read from their email is - they can't be bothered to enter your missed reading for you for that date (or cannot) so just put in a whole quarter one and the system will average it for you based on a general household usage.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    Kez100 wrote: »
    Are you saying they will change September when I put in October (nicking a bit from October or the opposite) if it doesn't fit the 'normal use'? I don;t think so.

Yes that's pretty much it. After the event that happened to me I looked at what I'd spent in previous months and found this is exactly what had been done. Plus remember all those customers who only submit one reading per quarter still get varied graph readings for the past three months, not one reading averaged out for the three months which is what you should expect if you've only submitted one reading. You don't have to believe me, makes no odds to me.
  • foreversummer
    Options
    My gas usage is more than double in November this year, compared to last year, and I have had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation done in September!

Oh, and the last meter reading I gave them was on 31st October 2008, so how can they possibly know what I have used in November?

Confused.

Foreversummer
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    My gas usage is more than double in November this year, compared to last year, and I have had cavity wall insulation and loft insulation done in September!

Oh, and the last meter reading I gave them was on 31st October 2008, so how can they possibly know what I have used in November?

Confused.

Foreversummer

I`m with Eon too and I think my electric is accurate and my gas looks fine over the summer. I was quite shocked to see how much higher my Oct and November were despite cutting down on the amount of hours the heating is on. I am just assuming it`s because it`s been colder. I do my readings monthly and submit them. I expect Dec to be much higher as I`ve had my heating on 24/7.
  • foreversummer
    Options
    What I don't understand is that I have not changed my usage to my knowledge and because I have had the insulation done I assume it would be less.

Also how can they show a reading for November when the last meter reading I gave was on 31 October and that was for the previous three months?
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    What I don't understand is that I have not changed my usage to my knowledge and because I have had the insulation done I assume it would be less.

Also how can they show a reading for November when the last meter reading I gave was on 31 October and that was for the previous three months?

Maybe it was an estimate based on the quarters useage last year. I didn`t give monthly readings last year as it was only when the prices went up that I have kept a closer eye on what i`m using.
  • gerrardfan
    Options
    if the last time you entered reads was on 31st oct november will be calculated on previous usage.enter meter reads once a month as you can enter up to 3 in a quarter.also try to enter them on the same day each month.

if you enter a read now the graph should correct itself the following day as it will now know what you have used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure