cheap building and contents discussions (Merged Discussion)

in N. Ireland
116 replies 8.2K views

Replies

• leftieMleftieM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    I was trying to get quotes for building and contents insurance. We live in an ex-housing executive house. Does anyone know if this adds a lot to the cost of insurance? One of the companies I phoned was very surprised at how much our insurance came out at.
    Stercus accidit
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    forgive my ignorance
    whats "ex-housing executive house"

---

The firm I seem to find competitive for a lot of areas in England *does not seem to have a problem with NI postcodes- albeit can't say they are always the cheapest for all areas

see *

LINK REMOVED AS IT RELATED TO THE OLD FORUM AND IS NO LONGER VIEWABLE

*for details of rebate offered to MSE users)
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • forgive my ignorance
    whats "ex-housing executive house"

Its the same as an ex council house on the main land the housing executive look after public housing over here and have a simlar right to by scheme as you have over there.

HTH
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks, assumed as much

Over here, that type of property does not generally lead to a premium on the insurance price, so long as construction is standard

( a quick look at my quote engine - threw in an example Belfast postcode , premium looked fairly good, although they do use the full actual postcode to rate)
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried the Legal and General online quote system. I have always found them to be very competitive.

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • £25000 accidental including fire and theft £155.81 including buliding insurance up to £150000

bulidings insurance only, £97.66 up to £150000 in value

got these quoted today from abbey, cheaper than legal and general. the girl on the other end of the phone was surprised at that herself!

02893325170 lisburn office , dont be put off by the 93 code for lisburn
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have found the link, which relates to an earlier discussion on this board.

I had to remove the old link earlier due to the forum move. Here's the link back in working order again......

CLICK HERE
  • SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

I recently bought a brand new house - I got a good quote off Ensleigh and went with them. My house is timber frame, and quite a few of the others turned their noses up at it! Endsleigh had no such qualms. It's cheap too, though I am more used to London prices so I may be getting ripped off and not know...

Snowy Owl.
  • DesGDesG Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    £25000 accidental including fire and theft £155.81 including buliding insurance up to £150000

bulidings insurance only, £97.66 up to £150000 in value

got these quoted today from abbey, cheaper than legal and general. the girl on the other end of the phone was surprised at that herself!

02893325170 lisburn office , dont be put off by the 93 code for lisburn

Strange that the Lisburn office would have a Ballyclare area code?

Those prices look pretty good, can I ask roughly what area you live in?

Cheers, Des.
  • not-so-civilnot-so-civil Forumite
    176 Posts
    The main office for Abbey is in Carrickfergus and all calls are routed through their internal call centre at Carrick.

I use Abbey for several insurances, but found Marks and Spencer the best option about 6 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Christmas Deals Predictor 2021

The hottest deals & best times to buy

MSE Deals