🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

ICICI Bank

Options

Comments

• Jim_B_3
    Jim_B_3 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    wilh wrote: »
    icici website is down - has this bank folded?

http://www.icicibank.com/ looks fine to me.
    http://www.icicibank.co.uk/ also looks fine.

The internet banking part has fallen over, certainly - perhaps under some kind of immense load.
  • Weluvdarling
    Options
    Last weekend £2.5bn was withdrawn from Kaupthing edge - and look what happened this week.

If ICICI gets a mention over the weekend, the same could happen here.

While we sit and wait, there are no doubt many more withdrawing their funds.

Just read on the Fitch website, their bond rating is BBB- (one above Junk) and the same as Bradford and Bingley before they folded.

I'm not trying to panic people. look for yourself.

http://www.fitchratings.com/corporate/ratings/issuer_content.cfm?issr_id=80360493&grp_typ_id=4&mm_id=&sector_flag=3&marketsector=1&detail=

The likes of Lloyds, HSBC have a rating of AA
  • northern5
    northern5 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    yeah... cheerio to the annoying slow website and call centre where they don't even speak english!
  • Weluvdarling
    Options
    alchemistkevin vbmenu_register("postmenu_14875217", true); ... let me get this straight you have transferred funds TO ICICI or out of ICICI ?
  • Megalomaniac
    Options
    Last weekend £2.5bn was withdrawn from Kaupthing edge - and look what happened this week.

If ICICI gets a mention over the weekend, the same could happen here.

While we sit and wait, there are no doubt many more withdrawing their funds.

Just read on the Fitch website, their bond rating is BBB- (one above Junk) and the same as Bradford and Bingley before they folded.

I'm not trying to panic people. look for yourself.

http://www.fitchratings.com/corporate/ratings/issuer_content.cfm?issr_id=80360493&grp_typ_id=4&mm_id=&sector_flag=3&marketsector=1&detail=

The likes of Lloyds, HSBC have a rating of AA

Thanks for the link. I don't think people will withdraw... the website will crash as soon as 3 people use it. It was the reason I left. Can you trust a bank who can't even pay for servers to cope with the demand. At least KE could...
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Options
    Hi folks,

Thanks for highlighting this, and for everyone who has emailed too.

We are speaking to ICICI at the moment, as well as the authorities here in the UK. At this point I really want to remind everyone that ICICI is a fully UK registered subsidiary of it's Indian owner.

It's protected under the FSCS, fully in the UK, meaning that the firs £50k is protected and in the event of any claim, that would be made to the UK scheme.

We will update this with any info as soon as we get any!

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not on BBC.

As popular as it is, I don't think MSE members can bring down ICICI :)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly at this time on a friday its tough to get hold of anyone - anywhere.

Moneysupermarket has apparently just spoken to ICICI which says there's no problem (Im trying to find more out now), I've got calls in at the Treasury and FSA but they're not the swiftest to respond.

Remember as Dan says above. ICICI is not like Icesave. It is a UK licenced bank with all the £50,000 limit protected; if you've less than that in there, there is no risk to your money whatsoever, regardless. Then again... if this is just a website probelm... it didnt exactly choose the best time!

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Weluvdarling
    Options
    The FSCS Ltd have a lot on their plate what with, HBOS merger, ICESAVE, Northern Rock, Kaupthing edge, Bradford-bingley.

ICICI bank Ltd would be the icing on the cake. Presumably the FSCS would pay out in 3 months, and they would cover the interest accrued on the term deposits ?

Thanks for your help Dan and Martin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family