Toby Carvery complaint... expect a reply?

Options
At the end of August this year, I visited my local Toby Carvery for a family get-together. We've been there many times before and always found the food great and the service exceptional. However, on this occasion, we were met by a very rude and dismissive Carvery Chef who also refused to offer an explanation as to why there wasn't any turkey left for my aunt (the manager later explained that they had had an unusually busy day and had run out, for which he apologised). There were several other 'altercations' with this Chef all of which were a total shock to us all as we've always found the Chefs there to be very friendly, chatty and they normally go out of there way to help.

Once we got home I felt I needed to write and complain about this particular Chef. I was polite and explained what had happened and said that it would be a shame if we weren't to visit again but our experience that day was very off-putting even though it was a one-off because the service there is usually great.

This letter was sent at the beginning of September, and obviously we are now into October. Are they obliged to reply to my letter? Or should I expect to be ignored? :confused:

Laura

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No company is obliged to respond to this type of complaint.
    Some companies can't be bothered.
    Why did you not understand restaurants sometimes run out of a food.

If I went to a restaurant and they had run out of some food,I would never dream of demanding an explanation,it's pretty pointless.You know the answer. Others may disagree..
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you ask for a response or state what action you wished to be taken?

Just that if you didn't and simply worte about what was wrong there, they probably just took it onboard as comments about your visit and didn't feel it needed anything further.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you complain about the Chef to the Manager (the one who explained why there was no turkey available)??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • astral_dolphins
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    No company is obliged to respond to this type of complaint.
    Some companies can't be bothered.
    Why did you not understand restaurants sometimes run out of a food.

If I went to a restaurant and they had run out of some food,I would never dream of demanding an explanation,it's pretty pointless.You know the answer. Others may disagree..

I should've explained what actually happened...

My aunt: "I'll have turkey, please"
    Chef: *shrugs*
    My aunt "Don't you have any left?"

Rude?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,very rude
  • astral_dolphins
    Options
    Did you complain about the Chef to the Manager (the one who explained why there was no turkey available)??

No not at the time, (we were in shock as to what had happened!) but the letter was addressed to the Manager.
  • astral_dolphins
    Options
    honeypop wrote: »
    Did you ask for a response or state what action you wished to be taken?

Just that if you didn't and simply worte about what was wrong there, they probably just took it onboard as comments about your visit and didn't feel it needed anything further.

You're probably right. I didn't directly ask for any action (although it may have been hinted) but stated my total disappointment in the Chef and that it would be a shame for us not to visit again because of his actions.

I'm thinking of forwarding the letter on to Head Office and re-sending the letter to the Carvery stating this. What do you think?
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    I should've explained what actually happened...

My aunt: "I'll have turkey, please"
    My aunt "Don't you have any left?"

Rude?

Have you considered the possibility that the Chef may not have been English, and not understood what you were asking.
  • astral_dolphins
    Options
    oldone wrote: »
    Have you considered the possibility that the Chef may not have been English, and not understood what you were asking.
    He spoke perfectly good English to the Manager ;)
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're probably right. I didn't directly ask for any action (although it may have been hinted) but stated my total disappointment in the Chef and that it would be a shame for us not to visit again because of his actions.

I'm thinking of forwarding the letter on to Head Office and re-sending the letter to the Carvery stating this. What do you think?

Personally, I would do anything more about it, it was over a month ago now and re-sending a letter to the carvery or head office is a waste of time (imo). If they had something to say on the matter they would have responded to the first letter. If you don't want to visit there again then simply don't, nothing they say will change what happened, so either put it down to a bad experience and carry on eating there, or eat elsewhere because of what happened.

And in any future letters of complaint, clearly state what action you wish to be taken or how it should be followed up, people are not psychic and if you are commenting on a visit and conveying your disappointment,then that is what they will take it as unless you ask for something in return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure