Wireless network connected, but can't get online

Options
123457»

Comments

• pierce8468
    Options
    I have tried everything you has listed for pinging, and all work well except the router. When I try and ping that it times out. Any ideas on what I should do?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    pierce8468 wrote: »
    I have tried everything you has listed for pinging, and all work well except the router. When I try and ping that it times out. Any ideas on what I should do?

Hello pierce and welcome to MSE :hello:, it might have made a bit more sense to have started a new thread than resurrecting a 2 year old thread, and the aforementioned (in your post) albertross has not been on the site for about 1+years too. I suggest you start a new thread and state what your symptoms are and what router you have and maybe run a cmd prompt,press the windows/start and enter cmd in the search bar. The enter ipconfig and post the result there too.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • wms952
    Options
    I have been having problems with my internet for a while but as of late it has been getting really bad, when I go on the internet it works for a while but then drops out but the wireless connection is still registering. i have pinged my router and that was okay, I have my DHCP enabled but when i ping Google it dosnt work, I have renewed my IP. Finally whenever another wireless connection is made with another laptop in my house I drop out and vice versa and I cant think of anything else i can do.

I am running on a HP Pavilion Windows 7 with a Netgear DGN1000 router
  • malvern25
    Options
    albertross wrote: »
    Try these command from a Dos prompt (start, run cmd (or command)) and post back with the results

ping 127.0.0.1 - if this works, you have tcp/ip installed (good).
    ping 192.168.0.1 - can you talk to the router?
    ipconfig /release - Drop the ip address assigned to your PC
    ipconfig /renew - Pickup a new address from the router.

ping google,com - if this works, but IE doesn't, then this indicates problems with your IE config (Tools/internet options/connections/lan settings screen)

ping 66.102.9.104 if this works, but pinging google doesn't, then you have a dns problem (the dns server translates the name google to the ip address, a basic function required for the internet to function)

Let us know how you get on..

I have several laptops and hand held devices including iPhones and the like that all connect wirelessly to my home server / router. They all work perfectly.There is a desktop in my home office too. I have a new Dell lap top which was working perfectly until last week, and whilst it now connects to the internet, allows me to use and receive/send e-mail through Office Outlook, updates my Avast protection software and my iTunes software etc, I can't get it to connect to the www with either IE or Mozilla!, although it did so previously.
    Did all the above - getting pings back including to google.com but when I try either of the ipconfig commands it says "No operation can be performed on Wireless Connection 3 while it has its media disconnected".
    What do I need to do; I feel this is going to be something really simple and I'm going to look really stupid!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure