Wireless network connected, but can't get online

Options

Comments

• happydj
    happydj Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    If you are still having problems, feel free to PM me and I will speak to you about hot to configure and setup this. I have had alot of experience with this sort of thing.
    Origional Debt: £16,000
    Total amount owed: £8,950.00
    £2 coin savers club: £44.00
  • lamb-for-the-slaughter
    Options
    Hi guys,

I don't know what I did, but I went through some of the instructions in the "How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP" link that Chippy suggested and it seems to be working (I'm using my laptop know via wireless to type this). However, it's still a bit shaky, at the moment it's telling me I'm not connected but I can still surf so work that one out??!

Anyway thanks again for all the brilliant support. I'll report back if I run into any further problems.

:T :T :T :T :T :T
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Yep!

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless Mini PCI Card Model 0508
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : (I'll leave this out unless necessary)
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : no <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.222
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip..............: Disabled
    Small world but as per my belated reply to Priscillia - Lamb does not have DHCP enabled. Lamb unless the router owner gave you this IP address - there may be another system with that ip address - you are connected because it is now turn off. or becuase that is not a valid adress - the owner changed it .... etc .. you are on somebody elses router etc ...

Change the TCP/IP properties for your wireless card to enable TCP/IP. HTH
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • lamb-for-the-slaughter
    Options
    GreenNotM wrote:
    Lamb unless the router owner gave you this IP address - there may be another system with that ip address - you are connected because it is now turn off. or becuase that is not a valid adress - the owner changed it .... etc .. you are on somebody elses router etc ...

Change the TCP/IP properties for your wireless card to enable TCP/IP. HTH

Thanks GreenNotM, this makes sense. Last night I was surfing and downloading via wireless for about 2hours (first time in months). Occasionally I'd lose the connection but I could reconnect again without too many problems. By the end though the connection broke every 5mins until I wasn't able to reconnect at all. I think the router actually crashed somehow as a result of my activities. My girlfriend's wireless stopped connecting too. This has happened twice before (including this wednesday) and it always occurs after I have been attempting to log on repeatedly or fix my connection settings, so I don't think it is a coincidence.
    Also I noticed my computer kept automatically 'connecting' (without actually accessing the net) to an unknown network called "default" until I changed the automatic connection settings from "any available network" to "access point only", this seemed to solve the problem. From what you say I could well be on someone else's router! However, I can't remember if my neighbour gave me the IP or not. I think the TCP/IP settings are already enabled (I will double check) is there any specific way to configure these settings or is it a matter of ticking the right box?

I've printed out these tips from microsoft on TCP/IP connectivity so am hoping they'll help too:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067/en-us

Thanks
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    these won't help u enable DHCP ( which means ur card will be given the correct address for the network it is on )

Via control panel -- double click "network connections" right click over the icon representing ur wireless card - select properties .... scroll down to TCP/IP - highlight TCP/IP ... click properties - write down the numbers in there - click on "Obtain an IP address automatically" check the other tabs for any entered numbers remove them - click "OK" to close the windows - no need to reboot in XP - just do a repair connection - if u have to ! - it will get u an IP address - try the ipconfig /release & renew << same-ish as repair

Good luck
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • lamb-for-the-slaughter
    Options
    Brilliant!

Will try it as soon as I get home from work, I just hope my neighbour has rebooted the router by then!

Cheers GreenNotM
  • Well, after three days of intermittant success. I accidently left the laptop on overnight, guess what, when I came back the next day everything was working perfectly and has done so since. The signal is strong and I can stay connected without constantly logging back on. I think the Dhcp setting had a lot to do with it, for a while it kept saying "unable to retrieve IP address" giving me "limited or no connectivity" but that problem seems to have resolved itself!

One last time thanks again to GreenNotM, albertross, Chippy and anyone else who helped along the way. Having broadband working means I can finally use my laptop to its full potential after so many months of frustration.

It means a lot!

Cheers

Dan

(Now I just have to find out how to get my £500 back for the useless warranty) ;)
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I am having a similar problem to the original poster, I have (finally!) managed to set up an ad-hoc (no router) connection from my PC to my laptop - laptop says I am connected but I cannot get the internet to work on the laptop. Not sure if the remedies selected here apply to an ad-hoc pc to pc wireless network - I posted some details of hardware etc, here (post #395) if anybody is able to suggest what I may be doing wrong?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=178780&page=20

Thanks!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Options
    I am having a similar problem to the original poster, I have (finally!) managed to set up an ad-hoc (no router) connection from my PC to my laptop - laptop says I am connected but I cannot get the internet to work on the laptop. Not sure if the remedies selected here apply to an ad-hoc pc to pc wireless network - I posted some details of hardware etc, here (post #395) if anybody is able to suggest what I may be doing wrong?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=178780&page=20

Thanks!
    Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your PC's Local Area Connection? See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverbroadband.htm to set it up manually.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on your PC and on the 'Select a connection method' screen choose 'This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect to the Internet through this computer.' See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverwiz.htm.

Next, run the Wizard on your laptop and choose 'This computer connects to the Internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway'.

In Internet Explorer on your laptop, click Tools - Internet Options. On the Connections tab select 'Never dial a connection'. Click LAN Settings and make sure the three boxes are not ticked: 'Automatically detect settings', 'Use automatic configuration script' and 'Use a proxy server'.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - I followed all the steps given at those links and while my laptop is connected to the secure computer to computer network with a good signal, I still cannot access the internet on the laptop. It seems I am nearly there - apart from one crucial thing - the laptop says I am connected to the network I set up but when I open firefox (or explorer) I just get the page not found page - so I cannot use the shared internet connection on the laptop..

In Internet Explorer I clicked Tools - Internet Options. On the Connections tab selected 'Never dial a connection'. Clicked LAN Settings and made sure the three boxes are not ticked: 'Automatically detect settings', 'Use automatic configuration script' and 'Use a proxy server'. Also tried it with automatically detect settings ticked but still no joy......

Will try working through the options at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313242

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories