IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Save on MOT Bills

in Motoring
221 replies 152.9K views

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just to let those of you who live in West/South London that Wandsworth Council do MOT's for members of the public and the workshop can be contacted on 0208 871 6761 and the fee is £40. The bad news is that the tester is away until 15th March.

Hammersmith & Fulham/Kensington & Chelsea/Merton/Ealing all DO NOT do MOT's and neither does the London Ambulance service.
  • The etymology of "bog standard" is interesting if only for the possibility that it comes from Meccano. The ordinary boxes were just "Box Standard". The part that is really appealling to me is that the better sets were "Box Deluxe" which leads to the spoonerism for top notch (the pup's nuts should escape the profanity checker).

Unfortunately there is absolutely no evidence for this :( The original term is generally accepted as being "box standard", regardless of whether it has been usurped by an incorrect interpretation of it.
  • To find your nearest garage to carry out MoT test, check the yellow pages in your local telephone directory under County Council - Transport. They will be able to advise.

Money Savings Expert does it again - thanx loads

quixilva :)
  • Hello again,

I have had a couple of people ask me for details of the City of Edinburgh Council testing centre.

Their phone number for CEC Fleet Services is 0131 337 2307, press option 1 for their workshops, and then you need to arrange an appointment. Their workshops are in Gorgie on Russell Road.

Hope you all pass first time as well. They charge £40.75 by the way.

Cheers

MarkP
    177.9K Posts
    Forumite
    looking for Merseyside centres and only found St Helens so far

http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/council/services/councilservices.nsf/All/95FE28CD3DC11ACC80256CC900550FF7?opendocument&highlight=mot,testing

In the meantime, try the Mot Testers Manual http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm Tells you all you need to know and the little things to do to make sure you pass
  • luciluci Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Hello again,

I have had a couple of people ask me for details of the City of Edinburgh Council testing centre.

Their phone number for CEC Fleet Services is 0131 337 2307, press option 1 for their workshops, and then you need to arrange an appointment.  Their workshops are in Gorgie on Russell Road.

Hope you all pass first time as well.  They charge £40.75 by the way.

Cheers

MarkP

£40.75? Isn't that a tad expensive? I thought MOT's were around the £30 mark.

• £40.75?  Isn't that a tad expensive?  I thought MOT's were around the £30 mark.

Yep, Class 4 MOT £32.00 this morning, at a test centre/garage. No need to book, just turn up and get in line. Passed without a hitch ;D
    177.9K Posts
    Forumite
    The reason that most Councils do MOT's is due to their large fleets of vechicles (mostly vans, trucks etc). Also they test TAXI's cabs/mini-cabs on a regularr basis.
    Appears to be a logical step (last 2 words not normally associated with Council's) to offer the MOT service to the genral public.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £40.75 is the stand class 4 test fee
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/econtent/fees/mot_fees.asp#c4

although many places do it cheaper, for a variety of reasons, also many places are more relaxed on the retest fee than they have to be.

I paid £40 last couple of times to a local garage owner , he collects the car from my house (or drops me back home)
    he does a quick pre check, takes it to a testing centre
    ( obviously gets a discount) and brings it back to my house (calling me if any work needed)
    Bargain.

Just did mine again last week - have not got the bill yet, hope it's about the same
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • The reason MOT's are cheaper at a garage is that they get the money back ten times over by doing unnecessary repairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals