Save on MOT Bills

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Well you're just absolutely brilliant, those are all the ones that I was gong to search! Thanks for sharing the info. And thanks to the thread starter & all participants, fantastically well timed for me & my Red Mean Machine circa 1988...
    Good easter to you all. :)
    Just to let those of you who live in West/South London that Wandsworth Council do MOT's for members of the public and the workshop can be contacted on 0208 871 6761 and the fee is £40.  The bad news is that the tester is away until 15th March.

Hammersmith & Fulham/Kensington & Chelsea/Merton/Ealing all DO NOT do MOT's and neither does the London Ambulance service.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If any regular readers of this thread have a little spare time on there hands to collate all the centres we know of so far - that'd be great. If you put the details in one post - i can then re-arrange it to the top post.

Any help is appreciated

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • System
    Having been ripped off in the past I would like to find a council MOT testing station in the Grantham, Lincolnshire area. Anybody know of one?
    Thanks.
  • Could anyone tell me where (if any!) of the Council's MOT Garages in the Stockport area are please.

Thank you in anticipation!

???
  • Bambi_Blou
    Bambi_Blou Posts: 16 Forumite
    Ok, there you go Martin...

Government MOT test centres open to the public:
    ·WYMAS (West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service).
    ·Essex County Council, Coval Lane, Chelmsford – 01245 435108.
    ·Morpeth, Northumberland – https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/drftp/2808.asp.
    ·Factory Lane, Croydon, Surrey.
    ·Banbury, Oxfordshire – search under MOT on the Cherwell DC website.
    ·[possibly…] Ambulance Station near Magic Roundabout, Swindon.
    ·County Transport, Ripley Road, Ambergate, Derbyshire, DE56 2ER – 01773 856667.
    ·County Transport, Brimington Road North, Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 9BE – 01246 450705.
    ·County Transport, Halstead Garage, Dove Holes, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 8BJ – 01298 813141.
    ·Near Wetherby just outside Thorpe Arch trading estate between York and Leeds.
    ·GMAS (Greater Manchester Ambulance Service), Walmsley Road, Bury Station.
    ·Bedfordshire County Council Vehicle Depot, London Road, Bedford – 01234 327369 (now privatised and run by Balfour Beatty Plant Services but the staff are unchanged).
    ·Thamesdown Bus Garage, Corporation Street, Swindon.
    ·Medway Council – 01634 306000.
    ·Westside Motors at the junction of Lanark Road and Inglis Green Road, EH13, Scotland (not CC but apparently v. honest and fair).
    ·Edinburgh City Council, CEC Fleet Services, Gorgie, Russell Road – 0131 337 2307 (choose option 1 for their workshops) OR City Fleet Services, 38 Russell Road, Edinburgh – 0131 347 1950 …….which one is it guys???
    ·Wandsworth Council, South London – 0208 871 6761.
    ·Colchester Borough Council, MOT Testing & Vehicle Servicing, Unit 8 Westside Centre, London Road, Stanway, Colchester, CO3 8PH – 01206 282624.
    ·The bus depot in Plymouth.
    ·Inverurie, Aberdeen – 01467 627538 (Alistair Smith), https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/web/residents.nsf/html/5AZKPF?OpenDocument.
    ·Mintlaw, Aberdeen – 01771 623197 (Robert Bruce), https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/web/residents.nsf/html/5AZKPF?OpenDocument.
    ·Inverurie, Aberdeen – 01569 763274 (Dave Adie), https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/web/residents.nsf/html/5AZKPF?OpenDocument.
    ·Nottinghamshire County Council, Rolleston Drive Workshops, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 7JE – 0115 956 7420.

NB: Apparently Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington & Chelsea, Merton, Ealing and the London Ambulance Service all DO NOT carry out MOTs.

And in return, does anyone know of any centres northside of West Sussex (or southside of Surrey)? I've starting looking but no luck so far. In the meantime, if I find anything myself I'll post it here.

BB

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Bambi_Blou
    Bambi_Blou Posts: 16 Forumite

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    nice work BB :D
    Blah
  • Thanks!! And you're welcome! :)

Now if anyone knows of any more out there, maybe you could add to the list....

BB

• System
    Let's just be straight here. The MOT has just become a money maker for the motor trade.

I know this isn't a campaigning site but a couple of observations:-

1. i,m satisfied MOT's are also used by garages to increase their (end of 3 year) warranty work...unneceassrily;

2. whilst safety is important, cars are better built and components more reliable .with 3 year warranties now the norm on new cars, most are regularly serviced for that period. in most of europe the first 'MOT' is due after 4 years then only every 2 years for first 10 years, only then every year and it is done at testing stations rather than garages.

there is no evidence of any lower levels of safety and the 'mot' factors are largely now european standardised.

interestingly my spanish car passed its first test without any problems...spanish testing stations are government franchises, don't do repairs, and are highly efficient...you stay in the car and drive through a number of bays, takes only 10 mins and is cheap...and essentially it covers the same items as uk, indeed the check form is very similar. 5 weeks later i went for a british MOT (required to register here) and they tried to fail it on a number of very unlikely grounds...like suspension items though it had only done 27K kilometres and is generally regarded as THE indestructable 4x4 . when i pointed out the spanish test certificate on the screen and that i would happily appeal, they miraculously took another look and found it fine.

we shouldn't be tolerating this...as well as avoiding garages, write to your MP
  • System
    Looking desesperately for a similar testing station near Birmingham (MOT due at the end of May). And also I 'd appreciate any advice for chosing a decent and honest garage as I just moved to Birmingham (Selly Oak / Northfield).
    Ta
    Isabelle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family