Free £10 from Egg if you sign up to the Money Manager

Options

Comments

• eds_4
    Options
    Snowanne wrote:
    Surely putting all your account details on one website is nto advisable? I am an Egg customer and as I was putting my bank account details, passwords etc onto this one site I was suddenly reminded of those emails that go around saying never reply to emails supposedly sent by your bank and don't give out your information on the internet! I deleted my accounts from the Egg site but maybe setting it up with an old account to get the £10 then deleting is ok but I think you have to be careful on the net.

Good point but checking the source code on the web page that you enter details on I can confirm that password and account data is not sent to egg. It's stored on a piece of software which the website install on your own machine. Now it's technically possible for this piece of software to send back confidential information to egg but it's also technically possible to decompile this software and check if it does this, so I doubt egg would risk doing anything so stupid. The actual information shown as being submitted to egg via the website is the company name and the type of account you hold so if you have any concerns about this do not use the system.

hazza wrote:
    Use IE Tab http://ietab.mozdev.org/ ... works great for me.

Thanks hazza great advice, there goes the last reason for me to have an IE link on my machine...
  • bloaty
    bloaty Posts: 757 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Just to let you know the offer has now been extended until 31 December.
    We seek a world in which everyone with HIV/AIDS can live an abundant life
    Want to join us?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gaj wrote:
    Hi guys, as sad as I am i was reading the terms and conditions of use for internet banking and it seems as though the Egg MoneyManager actually breaches these by storing your username and password in a vault.

Saying this I applied for an egg card, got approved and downloaded the moneymanager software but you must have an activated card inorder to get the £10 which entails inputting your card details and this can take upto 7 days from the application.

HSBC terms.

2.2 You must keep your Security Number secure and secret at all times and take steps to prevent....
    Point here surely is that HSBC - in the shape of 'First Direct Internet Banking' uses exactly the same account aggregation software as EMM does - including the same list of organisations which includes Egg. They allow you to add HSBC accounts to this - why would they get all sniffy just because you use an equally secure [or insecure?] aggregation service offered by somebody else? I suspect it is the less confident organisations - the Standard Lifes of this world - who remain wary of sharing their details with the account aggregator and then gravely warn their customers not to trust this new fangled technology and only log in to them directly. [Remember, that organisations get added to the list from time to time - you can request one be included - presumably the software designers have to obtain agreement of the organisation to include it on their list for customers or they might be sued?]

BTW, a £10 credit unaccountably appeared on my mother's EMM main account in November. This even though she already had the tenner from a previous occasion. It may be possible to requalify simply by adding an new account this month if you are already a user of the service just to see what happens
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • emilaghayev
    Options
    Hi,

I was also tempted to do it, but I decided not to go ahead. Other banks can use this action (joining Egg Money Manager) as reason for them not to be liable in case someone uses your account fraudulently through Egg. By joining Egg Manager, you athorise Egg to access other bank accounts on your behalf. It is also mentioned in Egg Manager's Term and Conditions. 10pounds are not worth a risk.

Good luck,
    Emil
  • Happy_Shrimper
    Options
    I asked about Linux support, and Egg replied although they don't support it, they know it can be used via winex emulation. Codeweavers crossover office would also do the trick for linux making it available via Firefox.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sorry if this has already been answered and i've missed it......

can you unregister and then sign up again to get a tenner??
  • brucie_bonus_6
    Options
    I registered for the Egg Money Manager months ago (on Martins recommendation) and I think its great, still not received the £10 tho'
  • amyk_3
    amyk_3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I thing Egg is great and have the egg card and the egg money card and egg money has really helped me to sort out my spending. I use the money manager and I have never found it slow, although sometimes it states positive balances when the account is in debit, which although is nice to see, obviously is incorrect. I have just changed to Firefox and only the egg accounts work. The others don't so now I have to open up internet explorer every time I want to use the money manager. Somewhat annoying!
  • rcb7
    rcb7 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I've been meaning to do this, but wondered if there was some kind of 'catch', but now after reading all Martins' comments, i will, as i do have an egg card (for monthly cashback spending of course, the system works really well).

Thankyou so much, YOU really are the font of all knowledge!
  • kernalpop
    Options
    Well I have just checked my online Egg Account and I have been credited with £10.

All I did was take out £3,000 as a balance anniversary transfer.

Not sure what happenned there but I'm not complaining.

Happy Xmas everyone!!!!!
    The art is not in making money,
    but in keeping it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills