Options

Comments

• Papa_G_2
    Options
    I got the £10 credited to my Egg account during the last week of November
  • jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just signed up...just waiting for my tenna now :)

Thanks

Emma
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • Murray
    Murray Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    Was it just me that was put off joining by this in their T&C??
    By using your Egg Money Manager, you may be breaking the terms and conditions which govern the operation of your Accounts. One or more Organisations may require you to cease using your Egg Money Manager as a condition of you retaining your Accounts with them and, in the event of unauthorised access to your Accounts, they may refuse to reimburse you for your loss.

To put it simply, if you suffer fraudulent loss to one of your non Egg accounts then you will not be covered by any guarantees offered by the account providers because you have not kept your login details secret!... :eek:
  • benabouttown_2
    Options
    the pain i felt when i had to open up IE, when my default was Firefox. IE is only used for Egg MM. ....
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • alanjrobertson
    Options
    Murray wrote:
    Was it just me that was put off joining by this in their T&C??

To put it simply, if you suffer fraudulent loss to one of your non Egg accounts then you will not be covered by any guarantees offered by the account providers because you have not kept your login details secret!... :eek:

I don't really see how you're sharing your password/login details though. Egg don't store these centrally, they're stored in an encrypted 'safe' on your PC. You can see this if you visit a new machine and log into egg - MM won't be able to access any of your accounts. If you click on the error then it will ask if you want to download the 'safe' - all this brings over is the list of your accounts & your 'friendly name' for them. If you want to actually access them you need to type in your login id and password - this is then stored locally once again.

Unless the banks don't allow people to store they're logins in encrypted electronic safes (which I can't believe given the preponderance of these pieces of software) then I don't see how there's a problem.

Cheers :D

Alan

PS - how would they know you'd used egg MM anyway? The IP address for accessing the a/c would be your own one anyway.
  • jayarrdee
    Options
    Take care ! I added my Intelligent Finance accounts to EMM. It worked the first time I used it but then it proceeded to lock me out big time. Now, almost a week later, I have no online access to IF and am very limited in the control I have over my account (cashcard, cheques, existing DD/SOs and intra-plan transfers only). I believe that this is more to do with the IF security procedures than Egg.

IF advised me against using EMM as this is what usually happens. They also told me that the same type of lockout can occur to FirstDirect accounts, but in my experience, it's far simpler to reactivate a FD account.

I may have entered my security details incorrectly but don't think so - what are others' experiences of EMM with IF and FD ?
  • alanjrobertson
    Options
    I haven't tried it with IF or FD, but no problems at all with RBS, Virgin, Mint, Cahoot (except that I know I got a bit of my login wrong so it only logs me in successfully 2 in every 3 times! - can't for the life of me remember the correct bit of the login (they ask for about 4 different 'memorable' items in addition to ID and PWD!)
  • gaj_2
    Options
    Hi guys, as sad as I am i was reading the terms and conditions of use for internet banking and it seems as though the Egg MoneyManager actually breaches these by storing your username and password in a vault.

Saying this I applied for an egg card, got approved and downloaded the moneymanager software but you must have an activated card inorder to get the £10 which entails inputting your card details and this can take upto 7 days from the application.

HSBC terms.

2.2 You must keep your Security Number secure and secret at all times and take steps to prevent
    unauthorised use of it and your Internet Banking ID. For example:
    never write or otherwise record the Security Number in a way that can be understood by someone
    else;
    never tell the Security Number to someone else including our staff, unless you are resetting your
    security number;
    destroy any advice from us concerning your Security Number promptly after receipt;
    avoid Security Numbers which may be easy to guess such as birthdays, telephone numbers, dates of
    birth etc;
    never record your Security Number or Internet Banking ID on any software which retains it
    automatically (for example, any computer screen prompts or 'save password' feature or any similar
    function on your internet browser);
    keep your Internet Banking ID in a safe place at all times.
  • alanjrobertson
    Options
    gaj wrote:
    never record your Security Number or Internet Banking ID on any software which retains it automatically (for example, any computer screen prompts or 'save password' feature or any similar function on your internet browser);
    Hmm - I'm not sure if encrypted safes would come under this description. It sounds to me like they don't want you to use the 'remember my password' feature in the browser - otherwise anyone using your computer would be able to automatically gain access to your account. The difference with EMM or other 'safes' is that you need to enter a password to gain access to the account.
  • Snowanne
    Options
    Surely putting all your account details on one website is nto advisable? I am an Egg customer and as I was putting my bank account details, passwords etc onto this one site I was suddenly reminded of those emails that go around saying never reply to emails supposedly sent by your bank and don't give out your information on the internet! I deleted my accounts from the Egg site but maybe setting it up with an old account to get the £10 then deleting is ok but I think you have to be careful on the net.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure