October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.6K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to know I'm not the only one puts stuff in my freezer and forgets about it :rolleyes:

** can I please ask -- what's a "snag"? **
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    :exclamatiTHIS IS MY OPINION AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE HEALTH ADVICE**

I think The Team may differ on that ;) I've referred your post to them to decide what to do.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • #ooh er Big mummas post has gone??
    Anyway, done my meal plan til mid Nov and I should have enough to double portion so I can get my freezer stocked!
    I loved the idea that someone (sorry forgot who!) said they chuck on some rice and portion it up if they have the room in the freezer - thats makes sense, so I am gonna try that too :) Will update total when Mr A has been ;)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• tirlittantirlittan Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't spent much on food yet as been waiting for pay day (today :)) and have had to manage with what I've had. Now I finally have more money and I need to meal plan for the rest of the month. This time (first go of this challenge) I'm doing 1-29.10 (last two days I'm on holiday), but my pay day is on 15th so it would probably be easier to do pay day to pay day. Is this how other people are working it? Thanks. Sig updated. Oh, and also, any good tips for people who really have no freezer space due to sharing a flat with 4 other people so no possibility of doing extra portions and so cutting costs?
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    I had my asda delivery on monday but i will find the reciept and tell you how much it was.

Might make some cakes today or biscuits as im bored. May make shepards pie for tea too or carrot soup
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • findingmyfeetfindingmyfeet Forumite
    497 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    morning all,
    decided to start running the freezer down for a big clean before xmas and restock. Got loads of stuff in there to go at but found a box of frozen cherries....any suggestions for something different to do with them?
    Think tea tonight will be veggie curry to use up left over veg and found naan breads in freezer. off to see what meals i can make up for this week from freezer stock....feel a plan coming on..
    bye
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • bullet_2bullet_2 Forumite
    137 Posts
    I am going to make some pitta crisps today. Split pitta breads in half then roughly tear into crisp size pieces. Sprinkle curry powder over them and bake. They are very popular with the lads.
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all:hello:
    Had a NSD yesterday, and today all we need is bread, we're going through it so fast with DD living here, but she can't ever manage to buy a loaf herself, it's beneath her:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Gonna do a freezer check later, it looks reasonably full of curries, soups etc, which will get me through this jobless patch, hopefully:eek: :eek:
    I attempted to make rice pudding in the SC yesterday, it came out like concrete, but the dogs love it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't rate the rice pudding from my slow cooker either -- and by the time it was ready I'd lost interest in it 'cos it took so long to make. That's one thing I won't be making in it again!!

Off into the city centre today, as I have to bob into the office to show willing..... still, I only have to do it every 2 or 3 weeks, and in 38 days time I won't have to do it anymore ;) So if I go today, then 2 weeks tomorrow, then 3 weeks after that, that'll be my lot !!!

Have to try and get some school uniform items for my GDs, and want a pair of jeans for me -- but no food shopping on the cards unless I can get some for the dogs (cheap shop by the bus stop)
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • rockie4rockie4 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Had to nip into Tescos for fruit last night. I was very cross, :mad: I bought a value melon - 99p but the girl tried to charge me £1.48 for a canteloupe:eek:
    I queried it and she went off in a strop to get the code......I was right but she practically threw the change at me:mad: and when I got home I realised I'd not got the receipt:mad:

It was £12 something so I'll say £12.50 to be on the safe side (I also got cat food and baking stuff) I didn't intend to spend that much but OH is trying to stop smoking so needs a constant supply of Twinks hobnobs to keep him going :rotfl:

I'll have to go again at the weekend as GS &GD are coming to stay:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals