October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.7K views

Replies

• susan946susan946 Forumite
    474 Posts
    Hello

I have been reading all the posts but haven't posted for a few days now. We've done a few shopping trips - stocked up on meat from the butcher, fruit and veg from the farm shop and PYO, and the odd quick dash to Tesco or Asda so thought it was about time to update sig. The cupboards and freezer are full so shouldn't need too much more this month.

I don't remember who posted the recipe for home made baked beans but hubby thinks you are wonderful. He was most impressed with my efforts so thank you. I also made a batch of hash browns from the recipe book with the incredibly long name which I can never remember. They are really good but more like rosti as they use grated potato and onion. I think the recipe could be adapted by including other root veg. I'll give it a go and report back.

A busy week this week as my son gets married next Saturday. Please will you all wish for fine weather. I rather hope that if enough people make a wish we might get some sunshine.

Sue
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 Posts
    Morning everyone, it's getting more like Winter every day, really hate it when it's wet but at least now we can start cooking more comforting food.;)

Busy in the kitchen yesterday, HM Gingerbread and HM Scotch eggs for Lunchboxes this week and shall top them up with fruit and cubed cheese.:D

Dinner last night was Roast Lamb, roast potatoes, yorkies, carrots and a roasted tray of veg consisting of Sweet Potatoes, red onions and courgette from the Garden. Shall definitely grow courgettes again next year, still got at least another 4 on there which are getting to a decent size and then I think that will be it but we've had loads from there.:D

Dinner tonight will be a curry made from the remains of the Lamb and I shall throw in some veg, don't know about pudding, off to Asda later today so shall have a think.

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Morning All

Just about to update sig, had a bit of a nightmare at tesco on thurs - only went for 1 thing. However am pleased as our local little farm shop sells big sack of pots for £7, I actually bought the half sack for £4 but will definately buy the big one next time.

Have actually spent loads out of this months budget, not much left but hopefully doable. We will see.
    x
  • Well I did my first big shop for the month on Saturday. Normally once we've just been paid we go overboard and spend in the region of £110 - £125 but I only spent £64.32 so I was really pleased with myself :D ( we deliberately got one of the smaller trolleys so I couldn't pile too much stuff in! )

This should hopefully last us 2 weeks ( we'll have to get bread, milk and maybe a few other bits and pieces in before the next big shop ) but I've easily got enough meal wise. I also switched a few brands from what I normally go for to save money, so far I can't really tell the difference so I might try switching more again next time.

On target so far!
    GROCERY CHALLENGE!!
    For petrol, food & toiletries for 2 adults and 2 guinea pigs!
    October £150/£158.61 :o November £150/£213.52 :eek: December £250/£230.92 January £250/£204.27
  • Good Morning All :)

Have updated my sig - i have spent so far £80.76 (leaves 169.24 until 29/10)

But that does include 3 tubes of sweets for xmas treats and a couple of pack of special biscuits that i will hide for xmas. I tend to buy one or two things now when i do a shop in the lead up to xmas, just seems a little easier when the time gets here lol.

Feel quite good about what i have spent so far, the cupboards and the freezer are full. Have been sticking to the meal planning - but have to change todays. We had roast pork yesterday and theres enough left over to make pork curry, good job all of us like curry lol.

anyway thanks for listening.
    Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.
  • I haven't popped in here much this month- and its a good thing! The only thing I've spent on this month so far has been milk, and in a moment of weakness the ingrediants for a full English brekkie on the way home from work!

I was working yesterday, so I instructed the OH that we were having freezer surprize. "Whats that?" he grunted. I said look in the freezer and surprise me!

I came home to lamb steaks (YS), marinated in garlic and rosemary, roast potatos and petit pois!YUM!

I'm still using the bread maker daily. I need yeast so I will pop out later...

Winky x
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy863 wrote: »
    ( we deliberately got one of the smaller trolleys so I couldn't pile too much stuff in! )
    I found that helped last year :)

And this year I either carry in my arms if I've only gone in for a couple of bits (but then when the Whoopsie! section is really good with stuff I can freeze I end up juggling my way to the checkout much to the amusement of other shoppers ;) ) -- or use a basket if I need stuff that's heavier/bulkier. It's certainly made me think twice about picking stuff up on more than one visit to Mr T........
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to say that I have spent another €15.85, bringing my month's spend to €43.24...think that DD4 might have a bill/receipt for me too as she bought stuff yesterday.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • donnajtdonnajt Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Week 1 has gone well - have spent £46.94 in total, i popped into Tesco for bread on thursday night and picked up 2 huge £7.99 locally produced chickens RTC £2.50 and some 2x Wiltshire thick cut deli ham 6 slices £4.99 RTC 99p

but went in yesterday for bread, milk, fruit for pack lunches and only took £6 and spent £5.23

Sadly my breadmaker died on Saturday so I have had to buy a new one...a lovely shiny Panasonic (YIPPEE!!) :j so i am planning on starting my HM bread from tomorrow onwards
  • taffy1969taffy1969 Forumite
    372 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update from me. So far I have spent £18.53 in October. I have had a few NSD's but the main reason is that when I went to do the shopping on Sat there are MAJOR ROADWORKS in the town starting from sat for about 5 weeks. Mr T, Mr A, Mr M are all the otherside of the bridge and Mr S in smack bang in the middle of the traffic trying to get to the other side of the bridge! We went to my mum's and got milk and a cuecumber and are stretching the food as long as we can!!! This is good money wise but work/picking kids up from school very bad. I was 20 minutes late for work this morning, boss absolutely fine as he has some trouble.
    Will have to go shopping soon I'm sure.
    Have a good week everyone. Taffy
    Need to sort my life out! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News