Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 39

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.3K views

Replies

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My son has just got really excited (bless him). I've been to Mr T this morning, and picked up some of the Muller Corners he likes. They're on a 5 for £1 offer, and he's not had had many "treats" in recent months -- so I thought he deserved them. Just told him they were there, and he went racing down the stairs to get one with a "whoopey" type noise -- and he's 17 :rotfl:
    Cheryl
  • BlairweechBlairweech Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just been to Morrisons and spent £12.86 - this includes £5.50 worth of non GC stuff though BUT I am going to include it to make it more of a challenge. So instead of just food, my £100 will now include essentially anything I buy in the supermarket (unless it is a big ticket item).
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • tirlittantirlittan Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only spent 11.91 this week on food. Trying for NSDs for today and tomorrow, but TUesday I have to go food shopping as running out of stuff. Need to buy enough to last me till 15th which is when I finally get my first montly pay. Used to get paid weekly and the last pay was on 18th of September. Money's quite low, but hoping to make it and still have something left as well. That's the plan anyway. :)
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord I,ve overdone it again. No room in freezer for the big cookin I done dood last night, I,ll have to eat till I,m sick at this rate. Now my choices are this, Taske stuff from freezer and cook it, should last a few days before I have to put it back in, or eat all the chilli, bolognese and mince + soup I made last night, for dinner and lunch. I,ll soon get sick of that _pale_.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    teedy23 - sounds like you need another freezer ;)

we have a fridge/freezer (standard larder size bottom freezer, with half size fridge) that I haven't used for a couple of years now -- and I keep telling myself I should stick it onto freecycle..... but then I go shopping, gets loads of Whoosies!, struggle to get them into the freezer, and convince myself I need to hang onto the appliance as "it could come in useful".

At the moment I think the 'get rid' argument is winning though, as they're no point saving on Whoopsie! items if I'm then going to have to pay electricity to run another freezer :eek:

(I already have two in use - full size larder one in the build in f/f, and a small chest freezer. In an ideal world -- maybe next year -- I'd like to declutter my garage and get a bigger chest freezer for out there, and then also get rid of the small one I have now!)
    Cheryl
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • gtxgtx Forumite
    305 posts
    i thought i'd try an os trick and bought 2 pts of full fat milk and watered it down to 4 pts - it's revolting!

i've used it in the mashed pots and in tea and it was fine but there's no way ds is going to drink it and i don't think any of us will use it for cereal.

no-one knows it's awful yet - i thought i'd say nothing just in case dh and dd ( who both eat anything) don't notice, but i don't hold out much hope.

can i make rice pudding with it - don't have any pudding rice either - would normal rice be ok? or any other ideas coz 4 pts normally goes along way in our house

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • bullet_2bullet_2 Forumite
    137 posts
    Do you have any cheese? You could make a cheese sauce with it. Or just a basic white sauce and add herbs.
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi gtx

When did you water the milk down?
    Only when I used to do this I found that if you did it at night then left it in the fridge overnight (then gave it a shake when using it) it tasted much better than if you watered it down then used it straight away
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Went to Tesco yesterday and spent £32.53 but £11.75 was on clothes (a £1.75 top!!) so spent £20.78 on groceries. Me and OH have just been to Sainsburys and he spent about £44, hoping this food will last a while! I'm only going to count what I spend on groceries for this challenge though - hope that's alright as we've only just moved in together and haven't worked out the money side of things yet.
    Cymru am Byth!
  • gtx wrote: »
    i thought i'd try an os trick and bought 2 pts of full fat milk and watered it down to 4 pts - it's revolting!

i've used it in the mashed pots and in tea and it was fine but there's no way ds is going to drink it and i don't think any of us will use it for cereal.

no-one knows it's awful yet - i thought i'd say nothing just in case dh and dd ( who both eat anything) don't notice, but i don't hold out much hope.

can i make rice pudding with it - don't have any pudding rice either - would normal rice be ok? or any other ideas coz 4 pts normally goes along way in our house
    Oh dear! I water mine down but only a little. I know there are a few on here who do this but unless you are certain, thats too extreme. To 2 pints of milk I would only add half a pint of water-not 2 pints of it! That is why its revolting.
    Not really any good for rice pudding unless you can add some dried milk to it to rescue it-or a tin of evaporated milk? Id be tempted to freeze it in half pint quantities and use each of these in the future with a whole pint of fresh milk minimum. Basically it needs at least another 2 pints of milk added to it in its present state and you sound like you don't use that much milk.

I've been experimenting today and have cooked a whole chicken in the SC for the first time in a couple of jars of suce which desperately needed usung up. It may be too greasy as a sauce-I shall find out soon-but they will have added flavour to the chicken anyway.
    Also trying my bread on the 3 and a half our setting cw18-I shall give the verdict later!
    Tried one of the tesco sponge cake mixes. Not enough contents to make it look like the photo on the packet tho in MHO. Tastes fine and cooked to perfection BUt the moment I tasted it I tasted that "something" they use in the ready baked shop-bought cakes! Ok if in a hurry but not for me! Ok for a real learner or a child experimenting but I can tell the difference immediately so its a no-no for me.
    I have a huge Sweet and Sour pork in the oven made from scratch. I needed to use up some pork steaks and some diced pork as it was freezer damaged-rather icy looking. Added 2 tins of stirfry veg(5p a tin) a tin of toms,3 small onions,a tin of pineapple chunks(chopped smaller)some vinegar(3 tablespoons)some brown sugar(2 tablespoons)some pineapple juice from the tin(2 tbls)3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
    Total cost approx £4 -with a kilo of rice a fiver and I guess it will make about 10 servings. I will cook the bag of rice for teatime and it will be there for the chicken (in slowcooker)and the S/Sour. I will freeze remainder of everything in separate pots so it can be used as we wish.
    Went to Asda today-unplanned but I had to go to the train station so thought I'd pop in on way home as I pass it. Got approx £23 worth of food. Found a lovely coat for £15 for dd23-black wool mix-they only had size 12 and 20 left though. The sort of coat you'd normally spend about £40-£50 on! Formal coat in black-3/4 length. Also got her some trousers for work. hope the coat isn't too big and hope the trousers are ok too-I just hope she likes it as it was such a bargain-at least I can return it if not.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults