October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.6K views

Replies

• Hi all,

I am declaring £175 for October having gone £25 over budget. It all started to go wrong when I decided to stock up on a 5Kg bag of rice in a shop I wouldn't go to for a couple of weeks and then I started seeing special offers all around me and felt it difficult to resist.

I feel as if I was a little bit more in control this month but I have used the meat I found in the freezer.I don't think I have wasted much money though. I'm upping my target for next month to £160 ( have posted on the November thread).

This GC thread has a lovely feel to it - it's as if we are all in the same boat but also in different sized boats ...(grasshopper)

Sparkly
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Here I am to declare £165.95 for October.

Really pleased with this even though I did spend a week on holiday with food spends from a different budget.

I still have quite a lot of stuff in the freezer and have started stocking up for Xmas sotings are going to plan so far.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to keep going - especially MrsM.

Off to check out the November thread so will see you all over there.
  • I made it and I'm under, I cant quite believe what a tiny amount I managed to spend after my £138 blow out in costco in the first week!! Thank you for keeping me focussed people. I thought we would empty the freezer but its still full to the top after some very good whoopsie finds. Off to use the surplus for stockpiling :-). £164.69
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi all am declaring october at £349.88 technically I have spent more as I went to tesco with a buy £30 get £10 off voucher so stocked up but the stuff won't be used until november so haven't included it!!! Am really pleased I found the GC as although most months I have been over that is still an improvement on pre GC. Thanks for all the tips November budget is £280 please Mrs MC as it is only a 4 week month.
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• fedupnowfedupnow Forumite
    931 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my Oh my

I've only gone and bleeding done it!!!!

Loooook !!!!!!!!!!£167.83!!!!!!!!

Talk about chuffed

and hungry...

only kidding but I have got a lot of shopping to do tomorrow.
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    lingojingo wrote: »
    What helped most was a big bulk buy at the butcher's in town, so will be doing that again in November.

Could I ask which butchers that was please? I am near to Huddersfield & would appreciate knowing a good place to buy meat! :D
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Declaring at £307.11

Bit annoyed we went over the £300 - but have had visitors and a 5 week shopping month!
    Grocery challenge July £250

45 asd*/
  • I have been watching this thread for a while and would like to join for November challenge. Can I declare £400. 3 adults & 1 at Uni and 4 dogs
    Maslowe

:snow_laug
  • DECLARING AT £240.12p:o
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maslowe -- the November thread is here

If you pop over there and declare you budget I'm sure Mrs Mc will add you to the list -- but she's more like to spot your request if you declare the budget in a larger font and in red (even the same font in red is more likely to be seen) :)

Welcome aboard :)
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals