What food can I take on a plane??

Options

Comments

• fruity1_2
    Options
    am i right in thinking you cant take on your own luquids, but stuff bought in the airport shops is OK..?

how convenient for them..

Crikey brightonman123 where did you come from :j at last, thankyou, thankyou :rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saint_Chris your point about a hostie being willing to sell you more than 200 cigs from turkey is not a problem as you can purchase as many cigs as you want from anywhere in the world, however you are then legally bound to declare them when you go through customs which means paying the appropriate VAT and duty on your goodies. I've often seized a couple of thousand cigs off of people because they have bought them on the flight and chosen not to declare them.

Slight ambiguity there Phatbear. Someone posted a string of airports that they'd flown from with cigs. Different rules obviously apply from European airports so as many as you like from Malaga and Lanzarote but pay the duty (or risk the customs) if coming from Turkey or other parts of the world. I watched cigs being confiscated at Dalaman a couple of months ago.
  • fruity1_2
    Options
    Be careful though, if you go to Gibralter from Malaga, it's only 200 and apparently can't be mixed with Spainish allowance ;) Mind you the ciggies are bl**dy awful.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if you feel my post was ambigious saint_chris, allow me to clear this up, from all EU states, with exception of some of the assencion states you can have whatever you like in the dutyable goods front as long as they are for your own personal consumption or purchased as gifts, and you will not have to pay anymore VAT and duty than what has already been paid in the appropriate EU state.

However non EU-states, which include the canary islands, jersey, turkey, gibraltar etc etc, have a duty free limit of 200 cigs tax free, anything above and beyond this you need to present yourself in the red channel of the uk port or airport you are arriving in and declare them and pay the vat and duty on the items, in simple terms you can have what you want but you will have to pay the extra for anything over the 200cigs.

I cant talk for items being brought into another country from other EU states, for example I think germany has a limit of 800 cigs regardless of them being purchased in the EU.

But you would need to check this before you travel through any eu states with cigs/tobacco etc.

Hope this has cleared the situ up.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Saint_Chris
    Options
    i never opened me gob, this time :p
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    Ooops sorry you got a name check in the post i was replying to so it was actually directed at maman.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Saint_Chris
    Options
    that's ok

me mam always said i could get into trouble, even without opening me gob. :beer:
  • jeppy
    jeppy Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anybody know if you can take foor on Ryan Air flights.

Thanks
    ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I booked a priemium package with thomas cook to the Dom rep , We get a chioce of meals and free booze, but as I am coeliac I have a glutten free meal, but I am always dissapointed, when I look at my husbands sweet he get a nice pudding and a choc bar, I get a few grapes or a apple and a carton of water. so I am taking somthing nice this time, why would I want a carton of water??
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options
    jeppy wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you can take foor on Ryan Air flights.

Thanks
    Yes, you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family