What food can I take on a plane??

Options

Comments

• boombap
    Options
    As said before, I have no shame in having a cheeky drink of my own on a plane.

I'm fortunate enough to fly somewhat more frequently than others and I see it as an expensive luxury - something which I would scrimp on other things to have the opportunity to do. That said I don't wish to pay £3 for a 300ml tin of warm beer hence I 'accommodate' myself.

Even when drunk I cause less noise than a baby (whose parents don't even pay for a seat for!) and take all my empties away with me for disposal hence my actions don't cause an actual expense for the airline. I might add that I do sleep like a baby though!

'Cheers' to all the high altitude drinkers out there!

S.
  • Saint_Chris
    Options
    maybe we could

dial a pizza

one day
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fruity1 wrote: »
    It's flippant attitudes like this that cause the tight restrictions imposed on travellers. People think that they can flaunt the rules and what happens........... more bl**dy restrictions. I don't know what you do Phatbear but baggage handling springs to mind, check in at a stretch, flight attendant :rotfl: pilot :eek: As you don't seem to know that drinking your own achohol on a flight is an offence - definton, displease, wrong, crime, insult :confused: I'm not!

The current security situation has nothing to do with flippant attitudes and everything to do with an attempt to blow up planes crossing the atlantic using liquid based bombs, these restrictions were put in place by the DfT as a knee jerk reaction to the alleged security risk. The irony is working in a "secure" airside environment on a day to day basis there are HUGE holes which are easy to breach yet the public face the DfT puts forward is just an attempt to make everyone feel more secure.

Over the years ive seen people stagger onto aircraft pished out of their heads and on occasion have been unfortunate enough to sit on there same aircraft where these same people have been served drinks with no question regarding their level on consumption.

To my knowledge there is no law in place which states you cannot take your own alcohol on board a flight and consume it, however given that the airline will sell alcohol its understandable that they wouldnt want you drinking your own, after all it would be liking walking into a restaurant/bar with your own bottle of booze. However I guess im a bit of a rebel as ive been known to smuggle a bag of sweets into the cinema on occasion.

I have no idea how you got from my post that im a baggage handler but as previously mentioned im a customs officer, sorry to dis-appoint you.

Saint_Chris your point about a hostie being willing to sell you more than 200 cigs from turkey is not a problem as you can purchase as many cigs as you want from anywhere in the world, however you are then legally bound to declare them when you go through customs which means paying the appropriate VAT and duty on your goodies. I've often seized a couple of thousand cigs off of people because they have bought them on the flight and chosen not to declare them.

anyway things to do

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I personally would never take my own booze on to a plane but neither would I pay the extortionate amounts demanded by the airlines to buy on board. I take this money saving business very seriously!

I always take sarnies with me when I fly short haul budget also some crisps, fruit, biscuits. I probably eat most of this stuff while I am waiting at the airport with a bottle of water bought from Boots or Smiths airside. The rest of the water goes on to the plane to drink as required. When I get to my destination, I can drink to my little heart's content.

If I cannot manage a few hours without an alcohol drink I would probably be best off staying at home:rotfl:
  • fruity1_2
    Options
    jeppy wrote: »
    We are travelling with Jet2 the only excluded items I can see are self heating foods.

Do you know if we can take our own sandwiches?

Thanks

LOL

Apparently you can take anything you like through :rotfl: hey ho, if you work for an airline, you should know :beer:
  • Saint_Chris
    Options
    I've got a tin of salmon, that has flown more miles than it has swam. :rotfl:
  • fruity1_2
    Options
    I've got a tin of salmon, that has flown more miles than it has swam. :rotfl:

My tin of tuna has flown further :rotfl:
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Pl can you take canned food in your hand luggage? Hubby takes tinned salmon when he visits his relatives as they are very expensive over there. They tend to weight a lot in a suitcase & he is only allowed 23kgs, and since he will be travelling by BA, there is no restriction on the weight of his hand luggage as long as the measurements are of. Thanks
  • brightonman123
    Options
    am i right in thinking you cant take on your own luquids, but stuff bought in the airport shops is OK..?

how convenient for them..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • fruity1_2
    Options
    Haven't got a clue anymore, sorry. :rotfl: You can take anything you like according to this thread :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure