Fair day rate for a plumber

Options

Comments

• heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    Heating-eng I did not mean to cause offence, but your post got to me a little.

All trades are being hammered at the moment, due in no small part to customers not having any money!

Personally I think that if a bloke cannot make a living from swapping boilers, converting systems and repairing faults - pretty basic but essential stuff - then we are ALL in trouble.

I agree with you on that and I sometimes don,t explain myself very well.
    It really gets to me when I go to people's houses that have been totally ripped off. They then think I am going to rip them off as well.
    I do know that I am lucky but I do still need to make a living.
    We all have our own opinion and forums are good for us to express them.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    All this about what one charges as a daily rate, IMO, is totally pointless.

What a customer should be doing is looking at the price for the complete job and comparing this.

Whether one quotes low hourly or daily rates then charges full price for materials, or one quotes high daily/hourly rates but list a trade, or lower material prices, makes no difference in the end.

I fall into the last category, mainly because if a customer wants to supply his own materials, I still make a living.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options

i suspect deep down most of you have to charge 40 pound per hour because most of the time your not working, and trust me it will become less and less.

have you ever tried getting a plumber ? most that i know are booked up for months . i don't know what the daily rate is for plumbers but you will laways get a variation in prices , you just have to accept what the going rate is , maybe we should be more concerned about solicitors charging £150 per hour
  • new_home_owner_3
    new_home_owner_3 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    nickj wrote: »
    , you just have to accept what the going rate is

thats is my whole point, there is no going rate and all plumbers tend to charge different rates.

Thats why i dont have to accept it......

If a gas safety engineer says he will fit your fire for 300 pounds and another says 120 pound which one will you go with?

you may say the ones more experienced, but they all have to be qualified to a certain standard, and to be honest i would go for the one who charges 120 pound all day long.

You are going on about solicitors, i got married a few years ago in cyprus and before we went we needed to get a letter from a solicitor proving who we was, anyway i was quoted 150 pound for a simple letter, i shopped around and found a solicitor that said he would do this letter for 20 pound, we was that chuffed, we gave him another 5 pound tip.

people can always charge what they like, if they think theyre worth it let them carry on, but ill just go about the way i do things and if that saves me money then i will.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    i suspect deep down most of you have to charge 40 pound per hour because most of the time your not working, and trust me it will become less and less.

(I'm not a plumber)

£40 an hour over a whole day maybe, £40 for a one hour fix on a faulty boiler which took half an hour to get there and back maybe not.
  • new_home_owner_3
    new_home_owner_3 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    (I'm not a plumber)

£40 an hour over a whole day maybe, £40 for a one hour fix on a faulty boiler which took half an hour to get there and back maybe not.

thats what the whole thread was about, the original question was fair day rate for a plumber, i agree if someones called out and its 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back and then they carry out the repair, 40 pound would be fine infact it would be a good price.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    thats what the whole thread was about, the original question was fair day rate for a plumber, i agree if someones called out and its 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back and then they carry out the repair, 40 pound would be fine infact it would be a good price.

that would be too cheap ..LOL
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    thats what the whole thread was about, the original question was fair day rate for a plumber

That's sorted then, lets put this thread to bed. :)

PS: post 49 still stands. ;)

sotr_closed.gif
  • tpaworld
    Options
    the original question was fair day rate for a plumber,

Precisely. So why so many posts from some unemployable person who puts others at risk by installing satellite dishes without any insurance cover and doesn't declare his earnings and someone else fitting heating systems as a hobby to "keep his hand in"? Clearly neither has any conception of the costs of self employment or the costs of employing someone.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    tpaworld wrote: »
    Precisely. So why so many posts from some unemployable person who puts others at risk by installing satellite dishes without any insurance cover and doesn't declare his earnings and someone else fitting heating systems as a hobby to "keep his hand in"? Clearly neither has any conception of the costs of self employment or the costs of employing someone.

Thanks for your comment.
    As you don,t know anything about me maybe you are not the best to make comment.
    Thanks.
    I am very much aware of the running costs but i still do not agree with plumbers changing £500 or more per day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport