Fair day rate for a plumber

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• SMK123
    Options
    I am a self employed Gas Safe registered engineer and if I am doing a job which is going to take me a full day(ie 8 hrs say)I need to be charging about £160 per day labour MINIMUM(ie £20 per hour)and any job I go to,ie fitting a cooker or Landlord safety certificate I have to be looking at charging between £60-£80,again labour only MINIMUM in order for me to make it worth my while,though I do offer discount to landlords/letting agencies if they provide me with multiple properties.That is in the Manchester area,and maybe those prices are perhaps too cheap but a major problem I have faced is people doing jobs at a dirt cheap rate,now I don't care if they screw themselves up,the trouble is they screw it up for everyone else,and that I find very annoying.

[FONT=&quot]This is predictable and must happen.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If an industry is more profitable than others and entrance is easy (do not tell me how difficult to get trained), many people will step in. This is what happening. The reality is: most people cannot enter Cambridge, but can be trained to be plumbers. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Basically, I agree with H_E in this thread. Over-charging will destroy your own future as people would shop around to find cheaper service. For example, changing toilet or tap installation, £100 can do the job why pay £200? Higher charging will result in less business. That’s what happening and if some areas not, would definitely happen. This is because of easy entrance.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do not say cheaper indicate poor quality though it do happen. Expensive charging does not mean better quality either—Poor quality jobs are also a lot. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If one plumber quotes me £200 and another quotes £100. The £100 done a good job, I will never ask the high charged plumber again when I have any job. There are very limited potential customers in an area. If you lost one, your competitor would get one. Therefore, in the long time run, high charged will lose business. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Customer experience is the best advertisement. Using the example of changing toilet: Why we need a high charging plumber to do the job? We just need a decent and low charging plumber to do the job. If he did a good job last time and we have new jobs, we will definitely ask him first.Therefore, to get customer's job is the most important for any business.
    [/FONT]
  • 1984ss84
    Options
    Shut up! So u earn £10-15 hour happy days! No worry for u after you have brought your daily nappies and bedtime milk! The term "plumber" is taken advantage of bye stuck up people like yourself!
    Don't call someone who has qualifications to save your life if your fire is faulty a "plumber"
    Don't cry like a baby when someone says £40 for less than one hours work!
    I'm obviously more qualified than you probably stacking shelfs in a dream world earning £10-15 hour!!!
    Reality is I can fit you a boiler, ( gas safe redistered) build you a extension fit you a bathroom ! Tiling building joinery all by me but I've been earning less than yourself!
    When u get your head out of your own backside have a thought for the people your kind affect!!!
  • 1984ss84
    Options
    My post was meant for this guy
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't post drunk, folks!
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1984ss84 wrote: »
    Shut up! So u earn £10-15 hour happy days! No worry for u after you have brought your daily nappies and bedtime milk! The term "plumber" is taken advantage of bye stuck up people like yourself!
    Don't call someone who has qualifications to save your life if your fire is faulty a "plumber"
    Don't cry like a baby when someone says £40 for less than one hours work!
    I'm obviously more qualified than you probably stacking shelfs in a dream world earning £10-15 hour!!!
    Reality is I can fit you a boiler, ( gas safe redistered) build you a extension fit you a bathroom ! Tiling building joinery all by me but I've been earning less than yourself!
    When u get your head out of your own backside have a thought for the people your kind affect!!!

The word is 'you'.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    Options
    £200+ around here (Cotswolds)
  • 1984ss84
    Options
    Whether or not they get jobs or not or weather you will make them a cup of t !
    You r obviously a pennie pinching human quite happy to take bread off the table of hard working people in order to feed your ego.
  • 1984ss84
    Options
    My point accross all points is , no it's not possible or how is it possible to earn/charge the big bucks someone like me can do! As a lot keep saying "I need to stop being so nice when I'm asked price".
    Point 1- I would feel cheaky if we agreed Aday rate then it only took 2-3 hours ( this is wear I shoot myself in the foot!! I'd probably ask u how much do u want to pay??.)
    Then this is wear you come in! ... Because your willing to post your comment means your probably willing to forget your hse is out of your chosen tradesman area and weather or not it takes 2 or 10 hours that tradesman can't book anything else in that day!!!
  • 1984ss84
    Options
    Word is actually yourself! Best way to explain u! Is this little number!
    .... Actually no your not worth it.
    I'm no computer gueak but tried to help someone. You try to put me down cause of that!!! One word answer from u!!!
    I think there is one word and it comes both out of your mouth and buttark .... POO 😀
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2015 at 4:23PM
    Options
    I think someone has had a little too much mulled wine or maybe its that chip on his shoulder that inhibits his spelling and grammar.

I thought I was the worse at spelling and grammar on the site.

Guess I've lost the title now..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport