Fair day rate for a plumber

Options

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    it makes me laugh 40 pound a hour for a plumber

No wonder people in the constuction industry are struggling the average wage in the uk is 25000 pound a year.

A plumbers job is not exactly rocket scientist stuff so how can they even dream about charging 40 per hour.

i suspect plumbers who charge this much are not getting much work.

I have mates now who have site managed for £7.50 a hour and people are fighting over these jobs.

Im planning on having a extension built, and i here the price 1000 psm, which i find astonishing too, in peak times when people have to turn work down, but these people need to be realistic.

why should someone who earns between 10 and 15 pound per hour pay someone 40 pound per hour when the job market is flooded with plumbers.

I won't tell you what I do but i'll do a very quick breakdown of my average yearly costs excluding my wages and trivial things like postage, workwear and other things I can't think of right this minute etc

Assistants wages 12k
    Motoring expenses inc petrol 4k
    Trades Subscriptions 1k
    Tools £200
    Storage unit rent and bills £5.5
    Advertising £8.5k

So that's over 30k already, and you want me to charge £7.50 per hour?

Lord help you if you ever went self-employed :(
  • docmatt
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    you are either extremely naive or extremely stupid and i genuinely hope its the former.

Let us know how you get on with your diy extension because nobody will want the work at the sort of prices you think you should be paying.

Footballers wages to bend a few pipes? Don't make me laugh! If you think that footballers get by on £ 40 an hour and if you think that plumbing is only about bending a few pipes then you are quite out of your box and there's you telling me to get real! :rotfl::rotfl:

All solely in my opinion, of course. :d

cheers

lol :d:d:d:d:d
  • new_home_owner_3
    new_home_owner_3 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2011 at 10:49PM
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    You are either extremely naive or extremely stupid and I genuinely hope its the former.

Let us know how you get on with your DIY extension because nobody will want the work at the sort of prices you think you should be paying.

Footballers wages to bend a few pipes? Don't make me laugh! If you think that footballers get by on £ 40 an hour and if you think that plumbing is only about bending a few pipes then you are quite out of your box and there's you telling me to get real! :rotfl::rotfl:

All solely in my opinion, of course. :D

Cheers

I wont be doing a diy extension, i will be sourcing materials getting prices to get it to roof level and then i will be paying for the roof, i will simply work my way through the rest with my mates who work in the building trade.

They will get paid but they wont be getting 40 pound a hour and i will be doing a lot of work myself.

The people i will be using our friends who i have known for years they have already done my brothers brickwork, and he done his own roof, but mines a bit more complex than his so i will have my roof fitted by my friend whos a roofer.

Ive been in my new house for 17 months and ive done a fair bit of work on it already, the house i lived in before i fitted my own kitchen and bathroom, it might take me a bit longer but i simply can not afford to pay the prices thats why i do it myself.

you need to remember this is a money saving website if it take me two days to fit a toilet its not costing me anything, if im paying the likes of you to fit it, im going to be hit in the pocket big time.
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    I won't tell you what I do but i'll do a very quick breakdown of my average yearly costs excluding my wages and trivial things like postage, workwear and other things I can't think of right this minute etc

Assistants wages 12k
    Trades Subscriptions 1k
    Tools £200
    Advertising £8.5k

you must be doing well asistants!!!! and where you advertising the sun????:rotfl:
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    any way onwards and upwards

good luck
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »

Assistants wages 12k
    Trades Subscriptions 1k
    Tools £200
    Advertising £8.5k

something just dont add up:rotfl:
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    I wont be doing a diy extension, i will be sourcing materials getting prices to get it to roof level and then i will be paying for the roof, i will simply work my way through the rest with my mates who work in the building trade.

They will get paid but they wont be getting 40 pound a hour and i will be doing a lot of work myself.

The people i will be using our friends who i have known for years they have already done my brothers brickwork, and he done his own roof, but mines a bit more complex than his so i will have my roof fitted by my friend whos a roofer.

Ive been in my new house for 17 months and ive done a fair bit of work on it already, the house i lived in before i fitted my own kitchen and bathroom, it might take me a bit longer but i simply can not afford to pay the prices thats why i do it myself.

you need to remember this is a money saving website if it take me two days to fit a toilet its not costing me anything, if im paying the likes of you to fit it, im going to be hit in the pocket big time.
    Thats a completely different ball of wax - why didn't you say so in the first place instead of being stupidly aggressive towards people who are trying to earn a half decent wage to keep their families in food and heat and a roof over their heads as well as covering all the associated costs of being self employed. What are they supposed to do - run at a loss as a charity so you can pay them only what you think they are worth? Its absurd to think this way.

No doubt your "mates" will be taking cash in hand and defrauding the taxman. Also they will be making their other costs up on their "normal" jobs. All you are doing is getting a good deal. That doesn't for one solitary picosecond change the realities of the self employed person.

You own time won't cost you "nothing". You need to value yuour time in cash terms as I stated on the other thread you have contributed to this evening. You will have noted that I also mentioned the self satisfaction that will be gained by doing it yourself before your post. You posted sensibly there - why not here as well?

Good luck with your project.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • BaldPlumber
    BaldPlumber Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I take it you have never told your so-called mates what a low opinion you have of their abilities or worth?

Perhaps you could tell us all what sort of highly skilled job you have that allows you to occupy such a dizzyingly high moral ground?

In these days of financial worry when there is so little confidence about, it takes a special sort of securely paid company employee to take the opportunity to make the self employed guys life just that little bit more miserable by screwing them into the ground for having the cheek to expect to be paid the going rate.
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    I take it you have never told your so-called mates what a low opinion you have of their abilities or worth?

Perhaps you could tell us all what sort of highly skilled job you have that allows you to occupy such a dizzyingly high moral ground?

i havent got a highly skilled job, but your talking dentist and doctors rates to get a plumber out.

My hobbys satellite tv and i fit my own systems, now when i first had my system i paid a so called engineer to come out and fit it and i paid 200 pound for this.

Ive learnt to fit them myself now and ive done loads for people at 50 pound a go, i dont think 50 pound for a couple of hours works bad.

if you get and want 40 pound a hour then good luck to you.
  • docmatt
    Options
    i havent got a highly skilled job, but your talking dentist and doctors rates to get a plumber out.

My hobbys satellite tv and i fit my own systems, now when i first had my system i paid a so called engineer to come out and fit it and i paid 200 pound for this.

Ive learnt to fit them myself now and ive done loads for people at 50 pound a go, i dont think 50 pound for a couple of hours works bad.

if you get and want 40 pound a hour then good luck to you.

You take a wage, we run a business ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport